French Ladies: Style, aura, what is it?

plr16

Dec 12, 2008
I suppose this is the right place for this since much of this discussion should be about clothes :smile:

I live near two french girls right now and am constantly amazed at how they command so much attention and turn heads where ever they go. They're both pretty but not by any means gorgeous. And they're both really really short. But some how they have something about them that commands attention. Everything seems so much prettier, so much more flirtatious, etc.

Most young women/ girls could not pull of the outfits they do. But on them it always looks so right. Something about the way they wear clothes and act makes it all so perfect.

Are there any french ladies here or women who know a lot about French ladies who can share exactly what it is that French ladies have about them that makes them so...French?

Reactions: Lavendera
Ah, this reminds me of the time I sat next to a French woman on the plane going back to school. I was in my school hoodie & leggings... basically looked dumpy compared to her! She carried a gorgeous Balenciaga & just looked absolutely refined (her clothes weren't that off the charts either). So effortless!!

I would also like to know... My French teacher explained that French women keep appearences up no matter what they're doing or where they're going. But I agree, there's something about French women, perhaps it is that they don't feel so self-concious or they wear what they like not what they think will make them fit in.

er...not all French women are always stylish or even style conscious.

Maybe more a question of certain people in certain places or maybe the adventurous ones who choose to live outside of France :P:roflmfao:

Some French critics think that the French actually dress too conservatively or Bourgeois 'le style Français' and prefer the le style Anglais which is kinda like when British girls wear wellington boots with a ball gown and tweed cap :nuts:

I suppose this is the right place for this since much of this discussion should be about clothes :smile:

I live near two french girls right now and am constantly amazed at how they command so much attention and turn heads where ever they go. They're both pretty but not by any means gorgeous. And they're both really really short. But some how they have something about them that commands attention. Everything seems so much prettier, so much more flirtatious, etc.

Most young women/ girls could not pull of the outfits they do. But on them it always looks so right. Something about the way they wear clothes and act makes it all so perfect.

Are there any french ladies here or women who know a lot about French ladies who can share exactly what it is that French ladies have about them that makes them so...French?

Iam so very flattered! Where are you from? US? however check this threat out about different approach to shopping....;)
http://forum.purseblog.com/chanel/why-do-i-keep-2nd-guesing-myself-526222.html

plilippé;13182193 said:
Iam so very flattered! Where are you from? US? however check this threat out about different approach to shopping....;)
http://forum.purseblog.com/chanel/why-do-i-keep-2nd-guesing-myself-526222.html

Thank you for the link to that thread :smile:. I do realize that it depends on the area. I've spent time in France and noticed the differences between cities, etc. But it really is baffling that the French women can pull of so many things it seems. The most fashion forward American girls I see on campus look sort of odd and out of place, even though in NY they'd fit right in, the same with the few English girls I know. But the French seem to pull off anything and make it look good.

Thank you for the link to that thread :smile:. I do realize that it depends on the area. I've spent time in France and noticed the differences between cities, etc. But it really is baffling that the French women can pull of so many things it seems. The most fashion forward American girls I see on campus look sort of odd and out of place, even though in NY they'd fit right in, the same with the few English girls I know. But the French seem to pull off anything and make it look good.

that is so sweet of you! I think NY girls can look very nice too. The English, if I may say so - when they get it right they look FANTASTIC but when they get it wrong, not so good. I think a limited wardrobe selection is key. I know it seems like a contradiction, but I don't think anyone can look good with soooo many clothes. Good grooming is important, (though not airbrushed) I will send you a link to my favourite style book - funnily enough - written by an American.:smile:
don't forget to post on the threat I send you - campaigning against excess!

Just wondering--do most French girls just happen to have a lot of different accessories and fewer clothes? I feel like the French girls I see always have a couple of dramatic looking accessories and that they might re use outfits and just change them with the accessories. Is this the case?

Just wondering--do most French girls just happen to have a lot of different accessories and fewer clothes? I feel like the French girls I see always have a couple of dramatic looking accessories and that they might re use outfits and just change them with the accessories. Is this the case?

Maybe not a lot of different accessories, but expensive-looking and well-placed accessories? I.e. a great cashmere wrap, a statement necklace. French women never look too "done" or overly-dressed. When I was in France last year, I picked up on the way that they wear less make-up and less jewelry. I would notice that a typical outfit consisted of jeans, sweater, boots, great wrap, and maybe one or two pieces of jewelry... everything perfectly tailored and looking like it could be completely interchangeable in anyone's wardrobe. Their hair always looked great, but they didn't seem to be wearing any make-up or eyeliner. So chic!

Maybe not a lot of different accessories, but expensive-looking and well-placed accessories? I.e. a great cashmere wrap, a statement necklace. French women never look too "done" or overly-dressed. When I was in France last year, I picked up on the way that they wear less make-up and less jewelry. I would notice that a typical outfit consisted of jeans, sweater, boots, great wrap, and maybe one or two pieces of jewelry... everything perfectly tailored and looking like it could be completely interchangeable in anyone's wardrobe. Their hair always looked great, but they didn't seem to be wearing any make-up or eyeliner. So chic!

A lot of hard work and research goes into that French 'I'm wearing no make-up and threw on this old Hermes GM" look.

I give you one tip :flowers:

Borrow your mother's things - when you offer her yours she will think your sweet (and being quite flattering) and then will politely refuse. You will upgrade and double or triple the size of your accessory wardrobe without having to even going shopping

NB Don't offer her your Bottega Veneta or not only will she not refuse but she will try to hang on to indefinitely :yes::coolio: