Foundation/Brand Help

Apr 11, 2008
I have tried everything from MAC to Chanel to Dior to Laura Mercier and I can't find one that I truly like, but I know these are all great brands, but I get overwhelmed because each brand has like 10 different formulas of foundation.

I generally like medium coverage..I like to use a liquid and then set it with powder...

I am open to any brand, even ones I've already tried, but what do you ladies think is a great overall product in terms of lasting coverage and what's good for your skin?

Try Prescriptives. I was using a YSL foundation that was breaking my skin out like crazy and my trusty SA recommended Prescriptives foundation to me. It didn't contribute any extra pimples to my face and covered really well..

I think it depends on YOUR skin type.

Each brand may have several types of foundations, but usually for what you're looking for (ie medium coverage and MATTE finish, assuming this since you say you like to set with powder, or at least some kind of natural finish, and definitely not glowy/shimmery) they only carry about 1-2 types, especially since these two traits are less "in" now.
So automatically your choices become much more specific and limited and you don't need to overwhelm yourself.
If you're acne-prone and oily, I'd suggest Vichy's Normateint (it has a lighter coverage however, but is great for your skin). I honestly have not tried a better product than this.
If you have normal or normal-combo, go for Chanel's Mat Lumiere. Other brands: Clinique, YSL, Guerlain, La Prairie, Giorgio, Lancome (although choices are limited... Lancome had a FABULOUS matte high coverage foundation before but they discontinued it and now all their foundations are "natural")...etc.

You can try a lot of brands/products, but I personally would NOT recommend these two:
Dior and MAC. These two brands ALWAYS break me out. I'm also tempted to put in Laura Mercier and La mer's foundation cream but they probably don't belong here cuz the finish is not the same as what you're looking for, so nevermind.

i would try bobbi brown. i have a liquid creme type foundation from them, but it is like, pressed into a compact, but its definit=ely liquid. not sure what its called but i love it!

CEC: thank you so much!! what you said totally makes sense to me..I guess I shoudl tell themt hat I like things that have a matte finish...your skin must be similar to mine because MAC and Dior break me out reallllly bad

and

elmel: i was thinking of trying Bobbi Brown too, I was reading about her line in a magazine yesterday...good to know oyu are pleased with it

My fav's have been La mer creme, Armani LSF liquid, and Chanel Teint Innocence Creme compact. I have never tried it but I have heard great things about Makeup Forever HD liquid foundation too.

If you like to set with powder I recommend buying everyday minerals foundation to set. It'll give you really good coverage to ensure a flawless look. it's cheap and there's different formulas. i have matte and intensive, but you can get semi matte or original glo

I wore Lancome Teint Idol for years
web description:
Teint Idole Ultra
Enduringly Divine & Comfortable Makeup 14-Hour Retouch-Free, Oil-Free
Discover a 14-hour ultra-resistant makeup with divine comfort.

This retouch-free, oil-free foundation features innovative highly resistant pigments for 14-hour wear. SoftFeel™ technology glides on to comfort skin with flawless full coverage that lasts all day.

About a year ago I switched to NARS because I felt the color was a better match for my skin color,
web descripiton:

A non-drying and lightweight formula that provides slightly more coverage than
NARS Balanced Foundation with a soft, matte finish. Enriched with vitamins to condition the skin, this formula helps leaves skin revitalized. Special skin conditioners are added to prevent the formula from appearing thick or dry.

Ideal for anyone who prefers an oil-free formula and a matte finish, including normal, combination and active skin types.

• Enriched with Panthenol, Lecithin, Vitamin A and Vitamin E
  • Kaolin clay controls shine
  • Lightweight texture and soft matte finish - does not feel heavy on the skin
I haven't been all that impressed with MAC in the past as far as foundation. But I LOVE their Studio Fix powder for touch ups throughout the day.

It is a bit of a trial and error to find what works best for you. Luckily you can get samples from any counter and hopefully you get a good SA that can point you in the right direction.

Last edited:
I wore Chanel foundation for years, now I'm using Giorgio Armani, is soo smooth you cant even feel that you're wearing foundation. G/L in you search, it can sometimes be hard to find the "perfect " foundation.