First LV bag- B or speedy? Ebene or Mono?

papertrees

O.G.
May 6, 2011
Hi!
I'm looking for my first LV bag. As you can see, I'm having a hard time choosing between B and speedy, and mono and ebene.

I plan to get the 30.

Which is more versatile? Classier? I'm planning to make this my go-to bag.

I live in the Philippines, so tropical weather. I don't know if that matters HEHE

If you see yourself ever wanting to throw this bag over your shoulder, go B! You can take the strap off when you don't want it, but nice to have when you do want it, especially when traveling like you mentioned.

I think print is personal preference. Vachetta will patina, but Ebene isn't perfect either, the treated leather can peel and red can show through the canvas, so go with what you really want since either can have issues.

I feel like the monogram print is flashy yet iconic on the Speedy.
In my opinion, Damier Ebene actually seems more classy and subtle and with the treated leather it's more versatile in all weather conditions.
It sounds like you are leaning towards monogram. I think that the Speedy B is more versatile.

However, if you truly want that popular "it bag" style, by observation, I see a lot of celebs with the monogram classic Speedy 25 or 30.

Reactions: absolutpink
I bought Speedy B Ebene as my first LV. Love it and abuse it at the same time. Still going strong. I go everywhere with it. Been to casual and semi formal event with it. I think ebene is more versatile as mono is casual only (for me). Perfect for travel. Never worried I have to put on the floor or airplane floor. I also lived in a hot climate before when I first get it. I just recently bought the smaller size. It shows how I prefer this combo for my workhorse bag. I have mono for other type of bag. But both are gorgeous. You will never go wrong with either one.

Reactions: papertrees
I bought Speedy B Ebene as my first LV. Love it and abuse it at the same time. Still going strong. I go everywhere with it. Been to casual and semi formal event with it. I think ebene is more versatile as mono is casual only (for me). Perfect for travel. Never worried I have to put on the floor or airplane floor. I also lived in a hot climate before when I first get it. I just recently bought the smaller size. It shows how I prefer this combo for my workhorse bag. I have mono for other type of bag. But both are gorgeous. You will never go wrong with either one.

But is it harder to take care of a mono compared to ebene?

But is it harder to take care of a mono compared to ebene?
Some people won’t find it hard. But me and many other girls are so affraid of the vachetta getting dirt or stain. I’m affraid the handle will look ugly if not carefully handled and I’ve seen tons of mono bag with ugly vachetta in my home town (hot and humid climate) including my friends’ mono. Maybe the owners are careless. But honestly little do I see ugly vachetta in western countries. Nonetheless it scares me more. But it’s just me. I can’t baby my bags. It’s just too stressful for me. But if you really want mono I would say get it! There’s no point having ebene if you don’t love it. Enjoy the bag. For me, I prefer ebene not only for reasons I mentioned above but I like it much more than mono to start with. I have mono bags only the ones that has small vachetta and they are new so I can’t share my experience but yes I have to be more careful with them. There is patina champ thread in this forum you might want to check. Many girls swear it worked so maybe it’s a solution for you.

Reactions: trice1385
I recommend to put in a bit extra and get the bandouliere. You never know when you might want to go hands free, and the canvas speedies all have the 3 part strap which is sooo versatile! If you don't want the b you could also always remove it.

Mono and ebene are both gorgeous. Ebene seems to be more carefree as it has the treated leather as opposed to the mono that has the vachetta which is prone to stains. The vachetta is also going to patina over time. It may even happen faster due to the climate you're in. Whether or not that is an issue really depends on if you like lighter or darker vachetta.

definitely go with the bandouliere! you can use it like a classic speedy if you want but having that extra shoulder strap makes a world of a difference. i just think it‘s a lot more versatile that way :smile:

when it comes to the canvas - go with what you think looks the best! i own both, speedy b 30 in mono and DE. i feel like DE is just a tiny bit more carefree but if you mono and don‘t worry too much about the vachetta leather, get some apple guard or collonil leather spray and spray the vachetta with it. it helps with even patina instead of having an uneven patina especially on the handles. also it‘s good to help with water stains

Yes forgot to mention definitely get it with bandouliere. (I was wondering what B stands for).

Sounds like you’re set on monogram, just google pics of the darker handles and see if you can settle for the look, or search for all the methods that you can do to slow the process. alternatively you can order the speedy in world tour version which comes with black leather strap so more carefree, but if you’re concerned about need to babying the bag, then yes mono needs a bit more care than damier.

Yes I have all three versions, I do love monogram but not in the speedy because I can’t stand dark handles, also never heard or seen cracking with red on ebene unless it must be a really old bag lol