first hermes - kelly or birkin?

If I only had one h bag, it would be a Kelly. Any Kelly. Just a beautiful bag. Throw practicality out the window. If you have to be practical, I would get a 35 cm Kelly or a birkin. Many bags can serve the unction of a birkin. No other bag carries the lines or sophistication of a Kelly.....period.

totally agree with you hermesmonkey :biggrin:

Thanks much ladies for all the feedback on the Birkin versus the Kelly.

One of the things that has struck me in making this purchase is how much I am driven by my head versus my heart. Growing up I had a very elegant and accomplished aunt (grew up in poverty and became extremely successful in her career), and the Birkin was what she carried. I didn't know what it was back then - I only knew it looked beautiful, but the association of the bag, with her, and my respect for her is probably the main reason why I fell in love with the Birkin. However, over the years, there are so many celebrities and people in my network carrying it that it makes me feel like it is a tad too overexposed, and I am a fairly low key person.

The Kelly on the other hand, is a reflection of my personal style - I like the sleek clean lines, and (I assume) less instantly recognizable to others than the Birkin, unless one is a bag affectionado. I have never handled a Kelly, only a Birkin, so I cannot attest to how it opens, but based on everyone's comments it seems the Kelly is more difficult to open/close, and harder to lug a lot of stuff around.

I am sure I will end up with both at some point, just for the first one, I want it to be something not just special, but that I can see myself using often. I think I will pop down to the H store to see if there's a Kelly that I can get my hands on and try it on before I make my decision. :smile:

Good luck! I see you are from Boston, as am I -- the store here is, in my experience, very friendly and low-key (as least, compared to Madison Avenue!). However, stock lately has been depressingly low. I'd be surprised if they have any B's or K's for you to try on -- lately they do not even have display models.

Good luck! I see you are from Boston, as am I -- the store here is, in my experience, very friendly and low-key (as least, compared to Madison Avenue!). However, stock lately has been depressingly low. I'd be surprised if they have any B's or K's for you to try on -- lately they do not even have display models.

I know! I don't even bother trying "walking past" these days, because almost every time I come away disappointed. Madison Ave, on the other hand, is another story - I have had luck there before (although not in the leather I was looking for) and the amount of women carrying beautiful purses in Manhattan is always a sight to behold.

Hi OP,
They both are a great choice. I could not agree more that Kelly speaks on sophistication and elegant. I personally love the Kelly and my first Hermes bag is K35. I love the clean and sleek look so much that I even got K28; however, I find that they are not as functional as I like them to be. They only carry them to special event where I don’t have my kids because of the hassle of opening/close. I have not mastered the art of that yet. However, I just recent acquired the vintage Constance and I must say…. I love that so much… it’s the best bag for all occasions (travel, work, day to night). My Constance got carried more than the two Kelly combined. I am hoping to get the Birkin 30 by next year too. Like others have say, when you get the Kelly, you want the Birkin. Athough, I love the Kelly, I am casting my vote for the Birkin.

ummm this is a hard one... i would say if you are a fashionista, get the birkin, but if you are scared of pickpockets and such, since the flap of the birkin is so hard to open and close, i would say get the kelly as in that sense you can open and close the bag up a lot more easily, also the kelly is less 'hey look im rich and powerful, i own a birkin' its more classic and only the fashionistas like us will know what it is...

im in the same place as you, and i thought of the pickpocket scenario, like the birkin is gaping open, like a neverfull, and well i dont want my pochette to mysteriously fly off somewhere... so i decided on a kelly...

good luck :biggrin:

This is very important to consider. I have the LV delightful, which also gapes open, and had my wallet plucked right from my purse! I love the Birkin though, so for me it's a tough decision too. Whichever you choose will be stunning, though :smile:

I think a Birkin for your first Hermes is the way to go. Who does not want a Birkin! You can always get a Kelly! But if you get a Kelly first you will always be second guessing yourself about if you should of got a Birkin! So Birkin and good luck!

Hi Saucyinterloper. I don't know if you have made your decision or not but my vote will go to Kelly without a doubt. From the way you describe both birkin and kelly, sounds like you already made your decision but just need a little nudge to go ahead with it. :smile:
If you need to carry more items in your bags, then perhaps go for Kelly 35 retourne. Because of the shape, it looks smaller than a B35 (and somewhat lighter). And yes, it can a bit cumbersome to get in and out of a Kelly but you'll get used to it and with the long strap option, you'll be thankful for it during traveling. Just my 2cents. GL and please let us know your decision. :smile:

Kelly (in whatever colour it may be) stands the test of time...fashion comes and goes, but style stays...:yes:
IMHO, birkin is a little heavy for a bag even if it is made in box calf leather...nevertheless it is a beautiful bag ...a beautiful but slightly on the heavier side kind of a bag...:amuse:

I was able to acquire a birkin first before a kelly but if I have to go through the decision all over again I'd get a kelly first. I just wish that maybe if I had a kelly first before a birkin then I would have realize that its a better fit for my lifestyle. Just like your aunt, my mom and grandmother were both fans of the birkin more than the kelly and maybe that's what drove me into the birkin first than kelly. Hope this helps! Good luck.