First GM shawl advice please

All smart comments here. The only thing I'd add is thinking about how and when you'll mostly wear it - for example, around the neck in cool weather? My first GM was a black/red Kachinas and it was great because the colors went so well with my winter wardrobe and I had enough black staples to be able to wear it as a tunic too.

Have fun trying shawls on....though they'll all look fabulous and make it difficult to choose one!!!

Great advice from all posters- as has been mentioned, be forewarned, the c/s bug bites hard injecting a powerful venom that leaves you with no willpower at the sight of an Hermes shawl and only the ability to yeild to temptation. My very first cashmere shawl, back when hot lava covered much of the earth, was Reves d'Australie in black/cranberry. I tend to like the busier/more artful designs plus they are more forgiving in terms of the inevitable pulled thread, random pill, etc.

Do let us know what you bring home and HAVE FUN!

my advice is don't buy. you will get caught up in a sickness that will end many years later with a beautiful pile of cashmere/silk shawls:P

it gets worse from there. Then you'll start thinking about opening up a safe deposit box to store your precious shawls so they don't start looking worn, or have that dreaded piling effect.

it gets worse from there. Then you'll start thinking about opening up a safe deposit box to store your precious shawls so they don't start looking worn, or have that dreaded piling effect.

i have mine stored in my freezer (with a box of waffles) to avoid dreaded moths. NOTE: the waffles have nothing to do with anything relative to H.

i worry sometimes about the habits i am passing on to my DD - "no sweetie, freezers are for cashmere. who puts food in the freezer?"

Last edited:
^^ Definitely warm enough for cold weather and they're light, easy to carry in your bag, looks good, can be worn in many ways.... AAAGGGHHHHH!
I really really planned on buying just One. Wore it once and had to buy 2 more cw on the same pattern. I got no willpower when it comes to H... :sad:
Sorry to be OT.
LadyJane, as many have said before, you really must try it on. I liked many pattern and specific colour, and when I tried them on, it just doesn't look good on me. When I didn't like a certain pattern or colour, it looks good on me! So try as many as you can. :smile: Looking forward to your reveal!

Think the time may be right to get my first GM cashmere shawl, have looked at the ones posted here and wonder if i am best looking at a plain style like Brides de Gala or go for a pattern style for my first and also this will be my only one for this year so need to get it right, like the thought of the popular designs and like the look of ELEK and CSMC have both in the 90 silks, so any advice very welcome

if you're not a loner shopper, bring an honest friend or consult an honest SA so you have a second opinion whether the shawl looks good on you. sometimes i get so taken with a pattern in a colorway that i'm willing to buy them even if it doesn't suit me - then it never actually sees the light of day. i've been saved many a times by an honest SA which i greatly appreciate.

i have mine stored in my freezer (with a box of waffles) to avoid dreaded moths. NOTE: the waffles have nothing to do with anything relative to H.

i worry sometimes about the habits i am passing on to my DD - "no sweetie, freezers are for cashmere. who puts food in the freezer?"
Thanks for the tip. That is a big fear I have, moths chewing away on my beautiful shawls!:P

I haven't tried putting CM in freezer....but ...won't it be all damp after it 'defrost'?

Unless you are putting them in the freezer wet, they won't develop frost. my recommendation is to let them come to room temperature before putting on or they will be mighty cold!

hey Kat, you are welcome for the tip!

Just a note, my shawls are in large zip lock bags. Am looking for those large acid-free paper picture storage envelopes to put in the zip locks.

Unless you are putting them in the freezer wet, they won't develop frost. my recommendation is to let them come to room temperature before putting on or they will be mighty cold!

hey Kat, you are welcome for the tip!

Just a note, my shawls are in large zip lock bags. Am looking for those large acid-free paper picture storage envelopes to put in the zip locks.
I will consider "freezing" them but my space is limited so all the food would have to go. Ah well, what you do for H:P