First BV Bag- Keep the Sloane?

Sassy

O.G.
Dec 21, 2005
Hi! I pulled the trigger on my very first BV bag recently, I believe it is the Sloane hobo. I was attracted to the color, it is a deep purple so it was somewhat of an impulse purchase. Since I’m new to BV, I wanted to ask the experts if this is a good purchase and more information about the bag, like official name of the color and whether it’s lambskin, how it wears over time, and whether the price is fair. I believe it’s from 2009 based on the listing. I’m debating whether to keep it since it was an impulse purchase and I was really looking for a Veneta hobo but this looked like a close style and I was drawn to the color. Thanks for any insights! This is the original listing: https://www.yoogiscloset.com/572936...trecciato-woven-nappa-leather-sloane-bag.html

Hi! I pulled the trigger on my very first BV bag recently, I believe it is the Sloane hobo. I was attracted to the color, it is a deep purple so it was somewhat of an impulse purchase. Since I’m new to BV, I wanted to ask the experts if this is a good purchase and more information about the bag, like official name of the color and whether it’s lambskin, how it wears over time, and whether the price is fair. I believe it’s from 2009 based on the listing. I’m debating whether to keep it since it was an impulse purchase and I was really looking for a Veneta hobo but this looked like a close style and I was drawn to the color. Thanks for any insights! This is the original listing: https://www.yoogiscloset.com/572936...trecciato-woven-nappa-leather-sloane-bag.html
Well, the color is Gladiola from the 2009/2010 Resort season. It looks like it's in terrific shape. Old-school BVettes who like classic BV prize these finds.

It's lambskin. The bag came out in 2009. How do you think it wears? <gentle smile> Look at it! It's gorgeous for its age. The classic leather lasts much longer if care is taken, and this bag looks well-cared for. Wear on the corners is expected; keep them well-conditioned and you'll be fine.

Is it the style that's causing you to step back? The size? Closure?

Reactions: jbags07 and Sassy
I don’t see the price listed on the listing. I will say this, if I saw you wearing this it would immediately catch my eye. Not just because it’s a BV but because I have always thought the Sloane to be one of BV’s best designs. Every person I have known who has a Sloane is chic, understated and does quiet luxury very well.

I was watching this but when I decided to pull the trigger, you had already purchased so I say good job you! I think you got a good deal on this, wasn't there a code offered? In terms of wear, it is going to be pretty similar to the Veneta. Taking care of either is going to be key, but it isn't anything crazy. Great purchase, imo. :flowers:

Well, the color is Gladiola from the 2009/2010 Resort season. It looks like it's in terrific shape. Old-school BVettes who like classic BV prize these finds.

It's lambskin. The bag came out in 2009. How do you think it wears? <gentle smile> Look at it! It's gorgeous for its age. The classic leather lasts much longer if care is taken, and this bag looks well-cared for. Wear on the corners is expected; keep them well-conditioned and you'll be fine.

Is it the style that's causing you to step back? The size? Closure?
Thanks for the info! I guess partly the style since it doesn’t sit as flat as the Veneta but I think it hasn’t been fully broken it yet, it looks like it’s hardly been used. The closure also seems like it’s a little harder to get in and out of compared to a zipper top. I guess I’m wondering whether I should hold out for a Veneta since that’s what I was initially looking at? This is a close enough style and it really is a beautiful color so that’s why I’m torn.

Reactions: sdkitty and jbags07
I don’t see the price listed on the listing. I will say this, if I saw you wearing this it would immediately catch my eye. Not just because it’s a BV but because I have always thought the Sloane to be one of BV’s best designs. Every person I have known who has a Sloane is chic, understated and does quiet luxury very well.
It was 595 and in great condition, thus the impulse purchase. yoogi’s doesn’t show the price for past sold items so it’s hard to get a frame of reference for what these bags typically sell for on there (there are a range of condition on other sites but pricing seems to be all over the place). I was never drawn to the woven leather before but just started getting into it!

• Wow
Reactions: jbags07 and BreezyE
I was watching this but when I decided to pull the trigger, you had already purchased so I say good job you! I think you got a good deal on this, wasn't there a code offered? In terms of wear, it is going to be pretty similar to the Veneta. Taking care of either is going to be key, but it isn't anything crazy. Great purchase, imo. :flowers:
Thanks! Do you have a conditioner you use with your BV lambskin or other advice on taking care of it? I’ve used leather CPR and colonil pro with my other bags, would any conditioners change the texture or feel of the BV? It seems more thin, light and delicate than my other lambskin bags, conditioning woven leather also seems trickier than just one flat piece of leather 😅

I agree with everyones comments above, well done! The price was a steal for this bag, the color is stunning, and condition is amazing. You have to love it tho….if you do, i say keep it, carry it, enjoy it. And make your next purchase a Veneta!

Adding…the Sloane is a beautiful, chic, and also very practical style. Its a fabulous bag.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sassy
I’m going to go against the grain and be truthful.
If you want a Veneta, wait for and/or buy a Veneta. The Sloane is lovely, but it’s not a Veneta - not even close, style-wise IMO.

**also editing to add:
This bag will not “break-in” as you write. It’s about as broken-in as you’ll find. Secondly, please do not put anything on this bag. It is Nappa Umbria. It is already treated. It is my opinion, and my opinion only, that there is no Bottega Bag on the planet made between 2002-2018 that requires anything to be put on the leather. Again, just my opinion.

Last edited:
Thanks! Do you have a conditioner you use with your BV lambskin or other advice on taking care of it? I’ve used leather CPR and colonil pro with my other bags, would any conditioners change the texture or feel of the BV? It seems more thin, light and delicate than my other lambskin bags, conditioning woven leather also seems trickier than just one flat piece of leather 😅
I don’t put anything on my BV bags. I should have clarified, apologies. i just try to take good care on the front end. I use my bags, but am careful when I set them down and store them.

I wanted this so bad but am on Ban Island.😭 That said, I've had both styles and I found the strap on the Sloane to be a bit too wide for me personally. The Veneta sat better on my shoulder. It also lies flatter than the Slaone if I remember correctly. But had I had any spare cash I would have snatched this anyway because I never learn and that colour would have sucked me in. :lol: It's a beautiful bag if it works for you.

Thanks for the info! I guess partly the style since it doesn’t sit as flat as the Veneta but I think it hasn’t been fully broken it yet, it looks like it’s hardly been used. The closure also seems like it’s a little harder to get in and out of compared to a zipper top. I guess I’m wondering whether I should hold out for a Veneta since that’s what I was initially looking at? This is a close enough style and it really is a beautiful color so that’s why I’m torn.
My only intrecato BV is an Ebano Sloane that I bought pre-loved. It is not flat, and won’t become flat with use, but I happen to think it is quite easy to get in and out of because it doesn’t have a zipper. It will, however, sit close to the body the softer it gets. Also, the flat strap stays on the shoulder. Just my opinion.

I’m going to go against the grain and be truthful.
If you want a Veneta, wait for and/or buy a Veneta. The Sloane is lovely, but it’s not a Veneta - not even close, style-wise IMO.

**also editing to add:
This bag will not “break-in” as you write. It’s about as broken-in as you’ll find. Secondly, please do not put anything on this bag. It is Nappa Umbria. It is already treated. It is my opinion, and my opinion only, that there is no Bottega Bag on the planet made between 2002-2018 that requires anything to be put on the leather. Again, just my opinion.
Thanks for your honesty! That is my exact hesitation. If I keep the Sloane, I will probably end up getting a Veneta also eventually lol. Good to know about not putting anything on the bag, thanks for the info!

Reactions: Nibb and jbags07
My only intrecato BV is an Ebano Sloane that I bought pre-loved. It is not flat, and won’t become flat with use, but I happen to think it is quite easy to get in and out of because it doesn’t have a zipper. It will, however, sit close to the body the softer it gets. Also, the flat strap stays on the shoulder. Just my opinion.
Good to know that it will sit close to the body the softer it gets! I don’t need it to be completely flat, but I do like slouchiness and it molding somewhat to the body.

Reactions: Nibb and jbags07