Felicity Huffman and Lori Loughlin among dozens charged in alleged college cheating scam

I'm not a fan of this woman but I'd always skeptical about these "sources".
What kind of friends goes talking like this to the press?
The same ones that also said that Lori and the husband were ALWAYS highly competitive re: their daughters and always wanted the BEST for them regardless of who else they stepped on. There were more than a few articles that came out when "Aunt Becky" was named in this case and the claws started coming out. I can't say that I ever had any feelings about her before, but now is a totally different story and I hope that she, the husband and the 2 girls spend some time in the pokey!

Reactions: sdkitty
I don’t generally put much stock in the gossip rags but I saw an article today from one of Huffman / Macy’s former assistants and it was unusual in that it was flattering. She said they were kind to her, seemed like genuine people and good caring parents that didn’t pamper their children.

Unless she has been paid, who says NICE things about people nowadays?? Lol.

Reactions: sdkitty
I don’t generally put much stock in the gossip rags but I saw an article today from one of Huffman / Macy’s former assistants and it was unusual in that it was flattering. She said they were kind to her, seemed like genuine people and good caring parents that didn’t pamper their children.

Unless she has been paid, who says NICE things about people nowadays?? Lol.

LOL they were probably paid to say those nice things!

It totally wouldn't surprise me one bit if Lori tries to put all the blame on her husband even though I truly think it was her that was behind it.

I agree 100%. I feel she will try to pawn this crime off on him, and she'll try to play little miss innocent (just like Teresa Guidice from Housevives of NJ did). Of course Teresa DID get jail time.

Last edited:
I think that Lori would happily pin this on her husband unfortunately she can’t as she was very clearly involved in this scandal. I think that she would throw anyone under the bus if it saved her. I don’t think that their marriage will fair this storm at all. I think that it’s going to tear them apart. I’m expecting both parents to do time and both daughters will be very estranged from them because of how this is affecting them.

Reactions: simone72 and DD101
It is my understanding that while they got the accommodations in fact they were there, in order to have their answers redacted not to get the extra time per se.
I believe I heard at least one family shopping around for extra time needs. I had conversation with a high school emotional needs counselor, about the need for extra time. I do not want to offend... my question, if a child needs extra time for SATS, how are they going to navigate a college curriculum, serious question. The counselor, also a mom friend, answered my question, but I don't think she understood my wondering about the ability to handle the curriculum load.

I believe I heard at least one family shopping around for extra time needs. I had conversation with a high school emotional needs counselor, about the need for extra time. I do not want to offend... my question, if a child needs extra time for SATS, how are they going to navigate a college curriculum, serious question. The counselor, also a mom friend, answered my question, but I don't think she understood my wondering about the ability to handle the curriculum load.

My son attends an Ivy and he says that students seek and get extra time to take their exams.

Reactions: Ceeyahd and momtok
I feel you think I'm arguing that people don't know there's inequities and i'm not; on the surface, most people are aware inequities exist. I'm stating that people who are overly consumed with this shock of this hasn't been paying attention. The one great thing that has come out of social media, IMO, is that it has given the common person a voice that's able to be rallied around. So thier voices, perspectives and everyday realities are no longer suppressed.

I don't know what to say if the message is new to anyone but hopefully it's a wake-up call. Since I've been in high school, I can remember educators, in my area/districts at least, calling for revamping of the tests and the college admissions process. The SATs always has been a joke and cheating is not new. Cheating by way of impersonation on the SATs causes thousands of scores to be invalidated each year. Don't know if you remember that story about 10 years ago in LI about the guys in Great Neck who were taking the tests for students - I feel like it made national news. Anyway, every few years there's some story about people cheating and going through great lengths to do such.

I think the profile of the people involved in this particular case is what's shocking people the most....these are two women who have built their careers on being the wholesome mom. I think they were seen as relatable in some aspect.

The world is not fair and it will never be so there's a degree of imbalance that we have to expect will happen. We can absolutely make steps in the direction to creating more resources to give all the students in this country a competitive position across the world stage; but that honestly would require for people to put the children, and not politics, first.

However, in all of this I'm simply referring to the blatant naivete of those who are shocked. Hopefully, this scandal opens their eyes a bit more to the world that's happening right around them.

I won't speak for others, my shock isn't that folks cheated. My shock is so many folks who had the resources to help cultivate their child's abilities. The financial resources to ensure every opportunity along the way in their child's life academically. Not to wait till the eleventh hour and throw down money to get into their chosen college. I tell mine you reap what you sow. Not to mention, simply buying your way in, isn't a successful accomplishment, and probably setting up your kids failure, academically. I agree that life isn't always fair, which is all the more reason to be up front and ready for a successful education. I'm not in any financial position to play this game, and I certainly won't waste money on an education that isn't desired... lead a horse to water... However, must have a level playing field for all. I side-eyed a friend (not close) whose kids got wait listed, and friend states grades weren't up to par, and then two days later kid gets acceptance letter.... friend says, well uncle is on the board, so they weren't surprised at acceptance (into aa privat college). I don't know enough about college acceptances to have an opinion on this kids opportunity - having family as faculty or on the board. Lucky them, family money and connections.

Reactions: DD101 and limom
They said that they wanted the extra time because the exam was given in another room where the proctor was changing the answers.
If one does not know the answer, what is the extra time going to do?
My son gets extra time since first grade, he takes his exam in a different room. When he took sat and act, we had to travel to a special high school.
He will get accommodations in college as well, it is the law.

I won't speak for others, my shock isn't that folks cheated. My shock is so many folks who had the resources to help cultivate their child's abilities. The financial resources to ensure every opportunity along the way in their child's life academically. Not to wait till the eleventh hour and throw down money to get into their chosen college. I tell mine you reap what you sow. Not to mention, simply buying your way in, isn't a successful accomplishment, and probably setting up your kids failure, academically. I agree that life isn't always fair, which is all the more reason to be up front and ready for a successful education. I'm not in any financial position to play this game, and I certainly won't waste money on an education that isn't desired... lead a horse to water... However, must have a level playing field for all. I side-eyed a friend (not close) whose kids got wait listed, and friend states grades weren't up to par, and then two days later kid gets acceptance letter.... friend says, well uncle is on the board, so they weren't surprised at acceptance (into aa privat college). I don't know enough about college acceptances to have an opinion on this kids opportunity - having family as faculty or on the board. Lucky them, family money and connections.

Well heck, at smaller, private schools, it can help just to know a prof, or better yet, a dept. head. Word of mouth exists, just as in nearly every other profession out there. That surely can't surprise anyone. Especially at smaller schools. The same with the decisions on who is awarded which scholarships. But nepotism happens everywhere. It's not like other professional worlds are the least bit 'purer' on that particular front. That's the world, not just the schools. (Honestly, I'm just being pragmatic here. Insert shrugging icon.)

Last edited:
They said that they wanted the extra time because the exam was given in another room where the proctor was changing the answers.
If one does not know the answer, what is the extra time going to do?
My son gets extra time since first grade, he takes his exam in a different room. When he took sat and act, we had to travel to a special high school.
He will get accommodations in college as well, it is the law.
Oookay, that's been a wonder for me, the extra to time and being fed answers, I didn't realize they went hand in hand. I thought folks were questioning any of these kids needs for the extra time.

Well heck, at smaller, private schools, it can help just to know a prof, or better yet, a dept. head. Word of mouth exists, just as in nearly every other profession out there. That surely can't surprise anyone. Especially at smaller schools. The same with the decisions on who is awarded which scholarships. But nepotism happens everywhere. It's not like other professional worlds are the least bit 'purer' on that particular front. That's the world, not just the schools. (Honestly, I'm just being pragmatic here. Insert shrugging icon.)
I feel even more clueless, are you saying that if that private school I was speaking of also gave a scholarship or this kid got a scholarship it was decided by that school? So this kid that I'm thinking of got wait-listed then got in and I know she got some hefty scholarship and then got in because her own mother said Uncle was on the board. So that scholarship came directly from that school, (and probably influenced by the connection of Uncle). Huh. I think that mother talks too much, and tarnished that kid's 'accomplishment'.

Last edited:
I feel even more clueless, are you saying that if that private school I was speaking of also gave a scholarship or this kid got a scholarship it was decided by that school? So this kid that I'm thinking of got wait-listed then got in and I know she got some hefty scholarship and then got in because her own mother said Uncle was on the board. So that scholarship came directly from that school, (and probably influenced by the connection of Uncle). Huh. I think that mother talks too much.

No, with regard to scholarships, what I mean is that if a scholarship is coming from/through the school itself, and the school is choosing a recipient, advice is sometimes solicited from even the profs as to who should get the scholarship. I have no idea what scholarship or what school you're talking about. ... I'm just going by what I know from my own hubby having been a prof for nine years at a relatively well-thought of private school. (That is, not Ivy.) And I mean, we're talking about humans here, with faculty lounges, faculty cafeterias, and faculty get-togethers. Do you think the admissions people *don't* talk to professors? Or professors wouldn't be socializing and/or friends with the other people in administration? That suggestions and contacts wouldn't be made?

But really, it's no different than the rest of the career world. College grads are advised to build a network for/during/within their future careers. Or even use the network the college already has among alumni. Are we to assume that academia would be the one profession where the workers (administration/faculty/etc) hermetically seal themselves off from each other?

The same thing happens in that professional world these kids will someday be dumped out into. For example, in the professional world, enthusiasm just might get you the job. How is that different from a university wanting kids who show clear interest (eg. campus visits/early decision). Or the way an internship in the professional world can lead to a full-time position, while attending a program at a university (as a visitor) might give that edge to gaining admission. Or really, just the whole concept of networking/contacts in general. Working a network is drilled in as prime advice for much of the professional world. So why would academia be presumed different?

Last edited: