Felicity Huffman and Lori Loughlin among dozens charged in alleged college cheating scam

Personally, I don't find it all that creative, shocking or surprising. This is the reason people have advocated affirmative action/socio-economic diversity/spots for students from rural areas or first-gens and constantly tried to bring light of people with wealth/entitlements using it to get over because nonsense like this happens. The SATs have been biased for ages and people have scammed them for a very long time. All this scandal has proved, to me, is just how much people refused to listen to those who have been disenfranchised, unable to afford the resources, and those coming from poorer school districts. It had to be put in their face by a few Hollywood moms, who previously were seen as wholesome, for it to be believed.
One can believe in affirmative action and still be chocked that people who have all the advantages in life decided to cheat their ways thru. One does not negate the other, imo.

One can believe in affirmative action and still be chocked that people who have all the advantages in life decided to cheat their ways thru. One does not negate the other, imo.
Oh I didn't say it negates the other. I just think it proves how much some people don't listen to others who are in a disadvantaged situation. Because I don't see how it's possible to be shocked if one's been listening to them tell that this goes on and often or about the bias in the SATs. I cited more than those who affirmative action supports also.

Reactions: Ceeyahd

the family facing various charges. If they can explain away or justify the donation or her believing it was an authentic a donation, the tax evasion or fraud charges will be gone, along with I think money laundering? So there are some benefits to playing naive or ignorant. what if she really thought it was a donation of sorts and didn't realize it was payoff money, Springer could have said it was a donation but for him it was payoff money or money in his own pocket. To clarify I'm not making excuses for this family.
Due to the large amount of money involved (compared to Felicity) and her complete lack or remorse (plus the nature of her career being so wholesome), I think her career is over. Wonder if they have enough money in the bank to support themselves in years to come.

Due to the large amount of money involved (compared to Felicity) and her complete lack or remorse (plus the nature of her career being so wholesome), I think her career is over. Wonder if they have enough money in the bank to support themselves in years to come.

I remember reading somewhere recently that the combined worth for Lori and her husband was somewhere in the $100 million range. They'll be fine for the rest of their lives (unless there is an incredible $$$$$ settlement to keep them out of prison).

I remember reading somewhere recently that the combined worth for Lori and her husband was somewhere in the $100 million range. They'll be fine for the rest of their lives (unless there is an incredible $$$$$ settlement to keep them out of prison).
$100 mil should go pretty far if invested correctly

if they are worth that much then I hope they get a fine big enough to hurt....maybe the $500K they "donated"

Oh I didn't say it negates the other. I just think it proves how much some people don't listen to others who are in a disadvantaged situation. Because I don't see how it's possible to be shocked if one's been listening to them tell that this goes on and often or about the bias in the SATs. I cited more than those who affirmative action supports also.
Who have been telling me that there were full on cheating going on?
While I am perhaps more naive than you, I never doubted that there were inequalities out there.
I have lived them.
However, I am taken back that people would cheat to that extends(taking fake pics for example) and not even feel remorseful and somehow even arguing that what they were doing were illegal.
Look what is going on with the special high schools in NYC, people are up in arms when Mayor di Blasio is trying to even out the field.
We are fighting for crumbs here. Lol.
I think that more colleges are doing away with grades and SATS, it is for the best, imo.
Education is only one avenue toward success, imo.
The most financially successful person I know graduated from a New York State school. So there.

For some reasons, those types of chicks get chances after chances, we shall see.

Personally, I don't find it all that creative, shocking or surprising. This is the reason people have advocated affirmative action/socio-economic diversity/spots for students from rural areas or first-gens and constantly tried to bring light of people with wealth/entitlements using it to get over because nonsense like this happens. The SATs have been biased for ages and people have scammed them for a very long time. All this scandal has proved, to me, is just how much people refused to listen to those who have been disenfranchised, unable to afford the resources, and those coming from poorer school districts. It had to be put in their face by a few Hollywood moms, who previously were seen as wholesome, for it to be believed.

In an ideal world, the resources and playing field could be leveled out at a much, much younger age (eg. primary education level), instead of letting so many discrepancies build up into some grand battle royale after high school. If things were 'leveled' at a much younger age, then different kids with different natural aptitudes for different areas, would have ample time and resources to develop and show through. It would become more obvious right across the board, whose talents lay where and who was suited for which path, whether that be vocational, academic, or otherwise. So what's the solution? More resources into primary education seems to be the first obvious guess? But how in the world to rework the school funding system -- across an entire country, let alone a state? The state I'm in made a push a few years back for something like that (where funding would be collected from the public at a state level instead of a district level, and then more evenly distributed between districts --which is at least a start). But it can't even get through at state level. And I'm in one of those "East coast" states too.

Reactions: youngster
Who have been telling me that there were full on cheating going on?
While I am perhaps more naive than you, I never doubted that there were inequalities out there.
I have lived them.
However, I am taken back that people would cheat to that extends(taking fake pics for example) and not even feel remorseful and somehow even arguing that what they were doing were illegal.
Look what is going on with the special high schools in NYC, people are up in arms when Mayor di Blasio is trying to even out the field.
We are fighting for crumbs here. Lol.
I think that more colleges are doing away with grades and SATS, it is for the best, imo.
Education is only one avenue toward success, imo.
The most financially successful person I know graduated from a New York State school. So there.
I feel you think I'm arguing that people don't know there's inequities and i'm not; on the surface, most people are aware inequities exist. I'm stating that people who are overly consumed with this shock of this hasn't been paying attention. The one great thing that has come out of social media, IMO, is that it has given the common person a voice that's able to be rallied around. So thier voices, perspectives and everyday realities are no longer suppressed.

I don't know what to say if the message is new to anyone but hopefully it's a wake-up call. Since I've been in high school, I can remember educators, in my area/districts at least, calling for revamping of the tests and the college admissions process. The SATs always has been a joke and cheating is not new. Cheating by way of impersonation on the SATs causes thousands of scores to be invalidated each year. Don't know if you remember that story about 10 years ago in LI about the guys in Great Neck who were taking the tests for students - I feel like it made national news. Anyway, every few years there's some story about people cheating and going through great lengths to do such.

I think the profile of the people involved in this particular case is what's shocking people the most....these are two women who have built their careers on being the wholesome mom. I think they were seen as relatable in some aspect.

Last edited:
Reactions: meazar
In an ideal world, the resources and playing field could be leveled out at a much, much younger age (eg. primary education level), instead of letting so many discrepancies build up into some grand battle royale after high school. If things were 'leveled' at a much younger age, then different kids with different natural aptitudes for different areas, would have ample time and resources to develop and show through. It would become more obvious right across the board, whose talents lay where and who was suited for which path, whether that be vocational, academic, or otherwise. So what's the solution? More resources into primary education seems to be the first obvious guess? But how in the world to rework the school funding system -- across an entire country, let alone a state? The state I'm in made a push a few years back for something like that (where funding would be collected from the public at a state level instead of a district level, and then more evenly distributed between districts --which is at least a start). But it can't even get through at state level. And I'm in one of those "East coast" states too.
The world is not fair and it will never be so there's a degree of imbalance that we have to expect will happen. We can absolutely make steps in the direction to creating more resources to give all the students in this country a competitive position across the world stage; but that honestly would require for people to put the children, and not politics, first.

However, in all of this I'm simply referring to the blatant naivete of those who are shocked. Hopefully, this scandal opens their eyes a bit more to the world that's happening right around them.

The world is not fair and it will never be so there's a degree of imbalance that we have to expect will happen. We can absolutely make steps in the direction to creating more resources to give all the students in this country a competitive position across the world stage; but that honestly would require for people to put the children, and not politics, first.

However, in all of this I'm simply referring to the blatant naivete of those who are shocked. Hopefully, this scandal opens their eyes a bit more to the world that's happening right around them.

It is really sad as it made me more cynical.
at the end of the day, those who are cheaters and can live with themselves, will cheat.
It is not my problem.