Felicity Huffman and Lori Loughlin among dozens charged in alleged college cheating scam

Marymount is a fine school.
However, they also cater to many non traditional students. It is an industry town after all.
As far as Olivia speaking about not going to school, I think that she was referring to College.
She spent the first week of USC on Fidji Island.
The reasons why so many foreigners are coming to college here is also because it is easier academically to get in here.
Yes, this includes the Ivies as well.
At the graduate work level, things are equal.

As far as the high school teachers, they have to teach the curriculum.
In New York at least, this means they need to prepare the students for the many exams such as the regents.
It is not about general culture but cramming and cramming some more.
As far as the French commenting on the tourists, it is well known that we feel we are the bastion of good taste and all things related to culture.
L’arrogance française est sans limite...
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/26/opinion/learn-foreign-language.html

Last edited:
Reactions: CeeJay and bisousx
THIS .. 100%%%!!! I have said this for years, the "dumbing-down" of American education! When I worked overseas, I cannot even begin to tell you all how MANY of my European counterparts/colleagues said "you are NOT the typical American"! When I asked why, they would say:
  1. You know European history (as in - "wow - you know more than just American history")
Americans don't even know America History :lol: it's almost like people wear not educating themselves with a badge of honor in this country....which is why we have such an effed up education system. I honestly feel for teachers who really want to be change agents and have impact. The fact that school budgets are designed by where you live is such a problem. You would think, at the least, we'd all want children in this country to stand a chance on the global stage.

I've worked in higher ed for about 6 years (not Ivy League by any stretch), and I came across a student (not international) who didn't know what a noun is. Another cannot read cursive. I've heard from a high school teacher who is frustrated because if a student does not turn in assignments they still get something absurd like a 60%. I know professors who feel the pressure of grade inflation because it looks bad to fail so many students. As if failing students = poor teaching. Texting as the main form of communication also means students don't use capitalization, punctuation, etc. in anything. It's scary lol.

I think I said this before that, for a while in Boston, there was a big to-do about the very high number of foreign students being admitted into MIT, Harvard, Boston College, Boston University, etc. Well, gee .. know why? .. 'cos they don't require all that remedial work, but then again, they have to pay the full tuition. It's pathetic at how much these kids nowadays are not being taught (and just want to put this out there .. I am NOT blaming the teachers one bit!) ..

The reasons why so many foreigners are coming to college here is also because it is easier academically to get in here.
Yes, this includes the Ivies as well.
At the graduate work level, things are equal.

So, when my kids were in the thick of the research and application process, we were told that it was much, much more difficult for an international student to be accepted as an undergraduate into a U.S. college or university. More like 1 accepted out of 60 or 70 at the upper tier so it was highly, highly competitive. There were tons of threads on the college forums when I last looked similar to: "I'm an international student with XXX SAT and perfect GPA what are my odds for Stanford, etc." The response from the regulars was, well, your odds are really, really low especially if you come from Asia because of the sheer number of applicants from there, but go ahead and apply since you might pull off a miracle. But, as mentioned previously, these students come from the wealthiest families since you have to pay full tuition and living expenses, so it is quite an elite group that gets into the upper tier and a really good group that gets into the second tier. So, of course, I would not expect any of them to require remedial classes since the majority of them have parents and families that have been preparing them since birth practically.

And, that's what so much of success in education comes down to. Do the parents and family highly value it or not? Do they read to the kids at an early age? Do they provide a stable environment that helps a child succeed, making sure they show up everyday on time and ready to go with no outside upheaval and distractions? Can they help with homework so that kids get the maximum benefit out of it? Teachers only have the kids for a few hours each day, the parents have them the rest of the time.

I've worked in higher ed for about 6 years (not Ivy League by any stretch), and I came across a student (not international) who didn't know what a noun is. Another cannot read cursive. I've heard from a high school teacher who is frustrated because if a student does not turn in assignments they still get something absurd like a 60%. I know professors who feel the pressure of grade inflation because it looks bad to fail so many students. As if failing students = poor teaching. Texting as the main form of communication also means students don't use capitalization, punctuation, etc. in anything. It's scary lol.
Not surprising. When I go out and look around, I'm just amazed at how many parents stick a screen in front of their kids to pacify them. I rarely see kids reading books or doing something educational on their tablets, mostly just watching cartoons/YT videos and/or playing games. Doesn't mean they're not doing educational activities in the home. However, I rarely see a small kid out not glued to a tablet or phone.

I paid a friend's son to do some work for me during the summer before his freshman year in college....just some basic data entry. Because it was work for our business, I wrote a check to him. He'd never seen an actual check prior and had no idea what to do with it...:lol: It's just a different world, they're not taught life skills in the home or at school.

I know that many schools stopped teaching to write/read cursive; but some are backtracking on that decision. So I'm not overly shocked when I meet a kid who can't read cursive....it's not taught anymore.

Last edited:
As far as the French commenting on the tourists, it is well known that we feel we are the bastion of good taste and all things related to culture.
L’arrogance française est sans limite...
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/26/opinion/learn-foreign-language.html
HA!! .. well, yeah .. kinda! Then again, it's a beautiful country with a beautiful language, great food & wine .. so, what's not to like, right? I feel the same about Italy; oh heck - I love Europe and wish I lived there .. hopefully, someday!

Reactions: keodi
This is hilariously unsurprising given the circumstances. I'm sure she didn't write the application, but still.:lol:

Olivia Jade’s Beauty Brand Trademark Application May Be Rejected Over Grammatical Errors
In just the past few weeks, Olivia Jade has gone from being known by a couple million fans of her influencer content to being known by millions more nonfans for her alleged involvement in "Operation Varsity Blues," the college-admissions investigation that purports her parents, actor Lori Loughlin and fashion designer Mossimo Giannulli, paid bribes and falsely represented their daughters as athletes to ensure their acceptance into the University of Southern California. As a result of the scandal, Sephora yoinked its makeup collaboration with Olivia Jade, but it seems she already had plans to launch her own beauty line. Now a pretty ironic stumbling block may prevent that from happening.

Refinery29 reports that, in May 2018, Olivia Jade and her team submitted an application to the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) to trademark both "Olivia Jade" and "Olivia Jade Beauty." Records show that Olivia Jade Beauty was initially intended to encompass beauty tools but eventually expanded to include a wider array of makeup and skin-care products. There's just one problem: Apparently, the applications aren't grammatically coherent enough to pass muster at the USPTO.

In a March 15 letter, the USPTO's examining attorney states that the "applicant must correct the punctuation in the identification to clarify the individual items in the list of goods," and, "proper punctuation in identifications is necessary to delineate explicitly each product or service within a list and to avoid ambiguity. Commas, semicolons, and apostrophes are the only punctuation that should be used in an identification of goods and/or services."

It seems that the list submitted in the application includes, among other errors, the phrase "make-up setting spray lipstick lip gloss," which, unless there's a mind-blowing new hybrid product I'm not aware of, seems to be in need of some commas. Fortunately, the attorney provided a mini punctuation lesson, explaining that commas should be used to separate a series of related items identified within a particular category of goods or services, before and after the word “namely,” and between each item following "namely"; semicolons should be used to separate a series of categories. (See what I did there?)

Furthermore, Refinery29 reports this isn't the first time the USPTO has asked Olivia Jade's team to make edits. Last August, for example, the application included the phrase "cosmetic prepares for eyelashes," which includes an apparent misspelling/typo.

The irony, of course, is that Loughlin and Giannulli's alleged willingness to cheat their daughters' way into college suggests a lack of confidence in their ability to achieve that themselves with, oh, you know, spelling and grammatical skills. But the trademark applications were very likely not written by Olivia Jade but by attorneys who I would really hope have a better grip on writing, or at least have Grammarly installed on their computers.

Olivia Jade's team must respond within six months, or the application will be considered without a number of the products they were hoping to cover. But given that Olivia Jade has a lot of other concerns on her plate right now, it's unknown if this ranks as a high priority at the moment. Allurehas reached out to the attorney listed as Olivia Jade's representation in the trademark correspondence and will update this post upon receiving a comment.

https://www.allure.com/story/olivia-jade-beauty-brand-grammatical-errors-lmao

So she is trying to play it off like she is the victim in this? (I read the link a few posts up) LOL! I think the parents told her to do this so she wouldn't be implicated in any of this. To me this is just a well thought out ploy....to try and prevent her from getting in any trouble in all this mess. This 'story' of her going to live with her boyfriend because she's so upset with her parents.....yeah right.

She ain't fooling me!

Reactions: AManIntoFashion
I had a good hearty laugh at this one .. ENJOY (and the irony :lol: ;) yet again)!!!!
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...emark-applications-sent-poor-punctuation.html
From that article:
"Perry Viscounty, the attorney currently handling Loughlin and Giannulli's cases, also handled Olivia's trademark applications."

If the applications dealing with moisturizer and concealer didn't pass muster, why on earth did the parents hire him for something a hell of a lot more important?

Reactions: redney
I understand why she would be angry. Her parents got her tangled in a crime and ruined her future. And they 100% did it for themselves and their egos they did not do it for her. She did not want to go to college and already had the career she wanted that is now over because of them. And even if they did do it to help her, they are the adults and the parents and should have known better than to commit crimes and involve their kids in crimes.

Last edited: