Felicity Huffman and Lori Loughlin among dozens charged in alleged college cheating scam

I don't think a rapper is expected to talk like a world leader. He speaks to and from a community you might not be in. He apparently has a net worth of like $800 billion and came from a gang lifestyle, so I'd say he's smarter than most of us. With all the handbags and money and privileges and education this forum has I don't think any of us on here are sitting on 800 million and went from nothing to almost a billion. And proof that no one actually needs that college degree to make it when you follow a passion!
You got this right. I don’t belong to the B and so forth community.

Is it true that it's expected of most kids? Only about 30-35% of Americans hold college degrees. I think we see it as expected if those around us hold degrees and we hold one ourselves but I don't know if that statement holds true widely or you wouldn't have so many people thinking folks who go to college are elitists. Lol

About 70% of graduating high school seniors enroll in college now, so I think it’s expected that most kids will get in and go. Many of them will drop out though. I definitely have a skewed perspective of expectations though because my high school wouldn’t let you graduate if you didn’t get into college.

Reactions: berrydiva
About 70% of graduating high school seniors enroll in college now, so I think it’s expected that most kids will get in and go. Many of them will drop out though. I definitely have a skewed perspective of expectations though because my high school wouldn’t let you graduate if you didn’t get into college.
That's a high percentage of college enrollment....wonder what the percentage of HS students that don't graduate HS look like and what happens in between that enrollment and the low rate of college graduation rates. Obviously, cost has to be one the biggest factors.

That's a high percentage of college enrollment....wonder what the percentage of HS students that don't graduate HS look like and what happens in between that enrollment and the low rate of college graduation rates. Obviously, cost has to be one the biggest factors.

I agree cost is probably the biggest factor and I've also seen pregnancy and marriage cited as big reasons. 18-24 year olds have a very high unintended pregnancy rate in the US. I suspect health and mental health reasons are another big one particularly at competitive colleges. I remember MIT was found to have double the suicide rate of the national college average a few years back, and I think they actually reduced their course load requirements partially in response to students' suicides.

Reactions: berrydiva
Lori Loughlin's daughter was quoted saying this: “I don’t know how much of school I’m gonna attend, but I’m gonna go in and talk to my deans and everyone and hope that I can try and balance it all,” Olivia said in an August 2018 video. “But I do want the experience of like game days, partying.…I don’t really care about school, as you guys all know.”
https://www.cosmopolitan.com/entert...-olivia-jade-usc-college-admissions-partying/
I'm not saying this to be mean at all, but I wouldn't throw away college tuition on someone who may not actually want a degree. I heard she really loves makeup, and she put a line out with Sephora previously, so maybe she should've went to beauty school instead or found her true passion? College does open up a lot more doors, but I think it's easier to get good grades and succeed academically when you actually want it for yourself, and you want that degree, rather than just going to college because your parents want you to go.

My younger cousin had problems succeeding academically, and then it wasn't until the age of 24 that he actually realized that he wanted a degree.....once he wanted it for himself, he started getting A's. College is great but I don't think people should pursue something that big unless they actually want it for themselves. I'm not trying to sound judgmental but it seems that her parent really pushed the idea of college on her (like a lot of parents do nowadays), and she has no interest in actually getting a degree or showing up to class--that's just the impression I get from the articles that I've read. But I don't know her personally, so it's not my business really either way.

Chelsea ******* was always precocious and a good student. She skipped the third grade and was a national merit semi finalist in high school (which means you’re in like top 1-2% of psat takers or something, I don’t remember exactly) and then graduated with highest honors from Stanford, so she was definitely qualified to be there but also certainly would have gotten in anywhere because her father was president. Which highlights a different version of this problem. Often the most qualified kids are the rich kids of successful parents because they’ve had all the opportunities growing up, which is part of why it’s so dumb to brag about where you went to college as if it’s some sort of singular achievement. Your academic success is hugely dependent on your family’s wealth, and the advantage is determined and observable in infancy and early childhood before you even get to school and do anything yourself.
Good for Chelsea. And yes, you're right, what college/university would say no to a president's child.

I agree to a degree on the last part, of course. But there are also other factors like IQ which is highly hereditary, that will play a role, not just wealth as such.

It may be easy to get into college- over inflating your achievements, background etc...but staying there, is another story.

Not really. There's rampant grade inflation even after universities tried to address it. Haven't you heard that the most common grade given at Harvard was an A (with the median grade being an A-)? More than 50% of students graduate cum laude. At a university known to be incredibly competitive, I know a dean wouldn't let a TA give one student a failing grade (even when the student totally deserved it); the TA had to help the student pass with tutoring and extra assignments (which was great for the student). You have to try hard (i.e. actively not even make an attempt to pass) to fail at a lot of the elite colleges. The highest activation energy is in getting accepted; after that, it favors product formation (i.e. graduation).

https://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/12/10/as-have-been-harvards-most-common-grade-for-20-years/
https://www.wsj.com/articles/you-graduated-cum-laude-so-did-everyone-else-1530523801

Last edited:
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...ids-bribe-their-way-into-college-i-teach-them
A teacher wrote about how those morons act once they are in college.
Truly Depressing...but I have witnessed myself how the rich and athletic kids act in college. I tutored Maths and Chemistry for College Football players to earn extra money in College ...let me tell you, they are insufferable arrogant brats! I told my daughters to stay away from those who enter college thru Athletics...Sure there are great kids bla bla...whatever..but I told them to stay away anyways.