Feeling Sorry For Myself (Again)

Caitlin are you still interested in working at a hospital? How's the medical terminology class going? Just curious. A lot of hospitals provide free training to secretaries in the US. Maybe call a local hospital recruiter to see where to get started. There are also non medical positions (such as admitting clerk, materials/supply clerk) that may open some doors for you. Let me know how it's going I know you have been wanting to do this for a long time.

1. Do a mock interview w/ a professional friend/aquaintance to see if there is something you could possibly be doing 'wrong', that you're simply not aware of.
2. Send a thank you note the moment you are finished w/the interview and get it in the mail asap. Along w/thanking them for their time, highlight the positives of the company of which you wish to be hired and as well why you are a great fit and asset to them.

3. After a few days, call them. Ask them what the status is. You may feel it is borderline 'pushy', but it will refresh them of your presence, send a clear message that you're interested and serious and responsible enough to follow up.
4. If you call and find they've given the job to someone else, they may not be legally able to tell you why you weren't not hired, but if you ask w/the explanation of learning for future interviews, they may be able to shed some light.

Good luck...keep your chin up...hang in there...this too shall pass!!!! YOU CAN DO IT!!!

I love my class. It's fascinating. I have my first test tonight, and I think I have a handle on the material.

I have an interview at The Bay (not the one on Queen Street, the one on Bloor) tomorrow and I'm passing out resumes.

sorry to hear that what career do you want to get into

In the mean time print out a load of CV and go to your local mall/shopping areas and hand tham in to ANY store that interests you

Awww hugs, have you considered doing inventory, I did it for a bit. IT's not the most amazing work nor does it always pay at a comparable rate but as I recall it's relativiely consistent.

good luck

Another reason why I got so upset: My parents help me out by sending me a little bit of money for groceries (when I'm not working, they help me out). I proposed to my dad that maybe they could send me a little bit more so I can buy things like vitamins and so I can do my laundry. The only thing they'd agree on was to send me $20 once to put on a laundry card. They really want me to realize that not having much money sucks. (Yeah, thanks. I got that. I've learned my lesson.)

So I go to bed all upset, and wake up this morning about 7:00 this morning all excited, because I had a plan: I worked retail for about six years, and saved up quite a bit of money. Enough to pay my rent for the better part of a year. But the rent and the amount I saved up won't divide into each other evenly and there's a little bit left over. I thought I could have that. I worked for that money, I earned it, and it's mine. I called my dad's work and left a message telling him of my plan. I went back to sleep, thinking I was a genius.

My dad pointed out that that's not, in fact a good idea, because they're paying for my subway pass, they're paying for my cable, and once my savings run out they're paying my rent. (This is all just until I get a job so I can afford it myself.) Basically, the savings shouldn't be touched so that the longer they can avoid paying it out of their pockets the better.

I acknowledged that okay, maybe the amount I was asking for was a bit much and that maybe they could just send me less than that. (It was 350. Then it was 100. Then 40, then 20.)

I swear, it's like they're hell bent on keeping me miserable. I thought maybe a LITTLE something so my life doesn't suck as much while I looked for a job would help, right? I made my dad talk about it with his therapist. I could see what he was saying, but it was almost like he's avoiding sending me money. Never mind the fact that I worked for it, I earned it, and 95% of it was going to rent.

Am I so wrong as to want some of the money I worked for?

Last night I asked my dad to please send me an e-mail telling me to buck up and that things would get better.

I get this:

Buck up. Things will get better.

Let's go full bore pursuing jobs. That means reviewing
your resume, having clean and appropriate clothes,
being showered with clean and tidy hair, saying the
right things at the interview, and doing the right
follow up.

You're capable, welcoming and helpful. If you can get
that across successfully, the job will come.

Good luck on the exam.

Love,

Dad

PS You asked about your savings. As things look now,
we'd be unrealistic to suppose that you will be able
fully to take over the rent payments any time soon. So
that money has to be allocated to your rent, present
and future.

So basically, it's an e-mail telling me to cheer up, that things will get better, and in the exact same e-mail, he's shooting down my genius plan! Basically saying "We want you to be miserable, so we're sending you practically nothing, and you can't have any of the money you worked for and earned."

I thought that was the point of savings. To be used as a sort of nest egg.

He says he hasn't fully thought about it yet, but when I state my case and I hear "I hear you." or "I'll think about it." it usually means no.

hey caitlin, i'm so sorry to hear about the frustrating job interviews and the money situation with the dad. i know how it feels like going for interview after interview and never getting the job. the only thing that kept me going then was how miserable i was in my then job and how i needed to get out.

i know how icky and anxiety ridden life can be when money is short. it's not unfair for you to want to have some treats (starbucks, ice cream etc) for yourself during this tough time. infact, it's sometimes necessary. it doesn't seem fair that you don't have access to your savings but i guess it's hard to argue with parents even when we are adults. i think you'll just have to slowly work out something with your dad.

i hope you get a job soon and that should help lighten the load. in the meanwhile, buy a box of tea bags and nail polish if you have some spare cash. make yourself a nice cup of tea at home and paint your nails. you ned to find small things that don't cost much that will boost your spirit.

i'm cheering you on and hoping that you get a job soon!

I can kinda of see your dad's side. He's operating on the idea that the extra money will be used anyway and since they're already helping you out, why give it to you now. Then again, you can't really say "look, it's my money, I want it" cause they're already helping you financially.
Just take this is a small low point in life, accept that, and work to change that. Try the shotgun approach. Along with all the other ideas presented here, apply at eveyr location you can think of. At this point any money is better than no money. Coffee shops, book stores, law firms (receptionist?), Target, every retial place you can think of, music stores, restaurants. Someone will hire you.
In the meantime...head up. It will get better. Trust me!

Another reason why I got so upset: My parents help me out by sending me a little bit of money for groceries (when I'm not working, they help me out). I proposed to my dad that maybe they could send me a little bit more so I can buy things like vitamins and so I can do my laundry. The only thing they'd agree on was to send me $20 once to put on a laundry card. They really want me to realize that not having much money sucks. (Yeah, thanks. I got that. I've learned my lesson.)

So I go to bed all upset, and wake up this morning about 7:00 this morning all excited, because I had a plan: I worked retail for about six years, and saved up quite a bit of money. Enough to pay my rent for the better part of a year. But the rent and the amount I saved up won't divide into each other evenly and there's a little bit left over. I thought I could have that. I worked for that money, I earned it, and it's mine. I called my dad's work and left a message telling him of my plan. I went back to sleep, thinking I was a genius.

My dad pointed out that that's not, in fact a good idea, because they're paying for my subway pass, they're paying for my cable, and once my savings run out they're paying my rent. (This is all just until I get a job so I can afford it myself.) Basically, the savings shouldn't be touched so that the longer they can avoid paying it out of their pockets the better.

I acknowledged that okay, maybe the amount I was asking for was a bit much and that maybe they could just send me less than that. (It was 350. Then it was 100. Then 40, then 20.)

I swear, it's like they're hell bent on keeping me miserable. I thought maybe a LITTLE something so my life doesn't suck as much while I looked for a job would help, right? I made my dad talk about it with his therapist. I could see what he was saying, but it was almost like he's avoiding sending me money. Never mind the fact that I worked for it, I earned it, and 95% of it was going to rent.

Am I so wrong as to want some of the money I worked for?

I'm confused. Did you GIVE the money you had previously earned to your dad?

I've read many past posts of yours in which you say something to the effect of the above, that your parents seem "hell bent on keeping you miserable." If that's that case, why are you depending on them for financial support? It's fairly easy to get a quick waitressing or hostess job while waiting to find your ideal job in retail.

While I was living at home, I'd bring home my paycheck. Half I could keep and half went to my dad for rent (for living at the house) and the rest went to savings.

It's not the money. I'm just so frustrated with the whole not-having-a-job, noone wants to hire me thing.

But I'm going out to hand out resumes and I have an interview at 4:00, so we'll see how that goes.

Well, once you're a certain age your parents cannot dictate what you do with your own bank accounts. When I was 18 my mom's power over my bank account stopped, before I needed her approval to withdraw money, which I think is OK if you're in HS, but college & after it isn't any of her business. Her name is still on the account, but I no longer need her permission and legally the way it is set up, it is my money, she is just like the beneficiary or something. If it is in your name, and it is your money, they cannot limit you from touching the money. However, it is really easy for a hard earned savings account to disappear quickly, so I guess you'd just have to figure if it is worth toughing it out for a little while longer or having that money and a head start on an down payment, or an emergency fund or what not.

As for a job, have you contacted temp agencies in the area?

PS, good luck on the job search. It IS hard and it IS frustrating. But it will happen! Try not to let your job affect the way you feel about yourself. You're putting effort into making it work, and soon it will all work out!