Food Favorite Soup Recipe's?

LivinLuxuriously

Surprisingly Content
May 14, 2006
Now that the cold has finally hit - come share some of your favorite soup recipe's!!!

Lately I've been loving cabbage soup - very warm and comforting. Here's my recipe:

What you need:

1/2 green cabbage (about a pound and a half of cabbage)
1 spanish onion, chopped
1 red pepper, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
1 can Diced Tomatoes
4 celery stalks, chopped
1 Package Lipton Onion Soup Mix
1 Cube of vegetable broth
Salt, pepper to taste
Extra spices I use: parsley, garlic salt, and curry powder
1 "bag" of brown rice (I use the boil-in-a-bag rice)

What to do:

Cut vegetables into small pieces and cover with water.
Boil fast for 10 minutes. Reduce to simmer and continue cooking until vegetables are tender. Add soup mix and bouillon cube and stir. Season to taste with salt, pepper, parsley, etc. I use about a handful fresh chopped flat-leaf parsley and about 1 tsp of curry powder. Then I use garlic salt, salt, and pepper to taste. Cook the rice according to the box. Once the soup is fully cooked and the rice is cooked add the rice to the soup pot and stir around. Enjoy!

I'd like to learn how to make a nice soup. Never considered cabbage soup, though. But your recipe does sound good, especially with the curry in it.

my favourite, stolen from deliaonline:

Carrot & Jerusalem artichoke soup

1 lb (450 g) carrots
1 lb 8 oz (700 g) Jerusalem artichokes (weight before peeling)
3 oz (75 g) butter
1 medium onion, peeled and roughly chopped
3 celery stalks, chopped
1.5 litres (2½ pints) hot vegetable stock made with Marigold Swiss vegetable bouillon powder
salt and freshly milled black pepper

To garnish

6-8 level teaspoons crème fraîche
fresh flat-leaf parsley

Start by peeling and de-knobbling the artichokes and, as you peel them, cut them into rough chunks and place them in a bowl of cold salted water to prevent them from discolouring. Then, scrape the carrots and slice them into largish chunks.

Now, in a large saucepan, melt the butter and soften the onion and celery in it for 5 minutes, keeping the heat fairly low. Next, drain the artichokes and add them to the pan, along with the carrots. Add some salt and, keeping the heat very low, put a lid on and let the vegetables sweat for 10 minutes to release their juices.

After that, pour in the hot stock, stir well, put the lid back on and simmer, very gently, for a further 20 minutes, or until the vegetables are soft. Now liquidise the soup in two batches, then return it to the pan, taste to check the seasoning and reheat very gently until it just comes to simmering point. Serve in hot soup bowls, each garnished with a swirl of crème fraîche and a few leaves of the parsley.

My Potato soup recipe (very rich!!!)

-1/2 Russet, 1/2 Red New Potatos, cubed. Probably around 3-4 medium Russets, and 4 medium Reds. Different potatos give a different consistency!!! Depends on what you like! I just mix them up :smile:
-1 small vidalia onion, chopped
-2 1/2-3 cups good chicken stock
-1 1/2-2 cups whipping cream
-1/2 whole milk

(you can change the liquid ratios around, depending on how rich you want the soup!)

-Salt/Pepper to taste
-European Butter

Start boiling the potatoes. While doing this, saute onions in about 3-4 tablespoons of butter (sounds like a lot, but it's good in the soup!); do so until the are soft and somewhat translucent. Once potato pieces are soft, drain them and add them back into the pot. Smash them up to desired consistency (some people like chunks left, some people don't). Add onion/butter mix, then stock, cream, milk, and salt and pepper. Let it come to a boil, then cook on medium-low heat until it thickens.