Faux leather bag?

alansgail

Feb 15, 2014
So I never thought I would ever consider a bag that wasn't leather....unless it was a canvas Louis Vuitton.
But when shopping today in Macy's I was completely smitten with a Calvin Klein reversible tote that was the perfect size and I loved everything about it. The price was great (dead giveaway, right?) and the SA said she thought for sure it MUST be leather........but it isn't! It's a faux leather reversible bag that I could buy for $111.
I thought everything about it was fantastic.
Have you ever bought a faux leather bag and been impressed with it?

I'm hoping for lots of yes answers!
But please be honest. This isn't a bag that I would use every day but only once in a while.

I do own one faux leather bag from Love Moschino and a few canvas ones (from Tous and Love Moschino as well). All of them are in perfect condition so far, but I baby all my bags so that could be the reason my faux leather ones hold up so well, even after regular use. Faux leather doesn't necessarily mean inferior quality. There are vegan handbags out there that are better in terms of quality compared to leather ones. It all depends on the craftsmanship, IMO.

So I never thought I would ever consider a bag that wasn't leather....unless it was a canvas Louis Vuitton.
But when shopping today in Macy's I was completely smitten with a Calvin Klein reversible tote that was the perfect size and I loved everything about it. The price was great (dead giveaway, right?) and the SA said she thought for sure it MUST be leather........but it isn't! It's a faux leather reversible bag that I could buy for $111.
I thought everything about it was fantastic.
Have you ever bought a faux leather bag and been impressed with it?

I'm hoping for lots of yes answers!
But please be honest. This isn't a bag that I would use every day but only once in a while.
Nobody but you will know that it is not leather. Manufacturers have gotten so good at making up whatever chemical concoction goes into the material it's hard to tell that it's not real leather unless you inspect it close-up.

Personally I've never been able to handle not-leather bags (that includes cloth material/tapestry bags, too) - because *I* know it's not leather, and it just bothers me and takes away from the enjoyment of the bag.

I only got my first real leather bag 4 yrs ago. Until then, all of them were either canvas or PU. Some were good, some were bad, some were downright hideous. The more you pay, the more you get - except with By Malene Birger, which has been my biggest disappointment ever. The Grinolas tote cost WAY over 200 euros, the corners frayed within 10 uses and they did nothing to repair the situation; no return, no replacement, no repair! :mad:

I think CK does good PU, as does Love Moschino (I own one of their shoulder bags), so it may well be you're on to something. If you love the design and the price, why not go for it? It's not THAT expensive - hopefully you won't go broke buying it and it will serve you for a long time.

One point between real and faux, though; leather usually looks better with age. PU just doesn't. I love the patina, softness and slouch my bags have developed over the years! :love:

Even on tight budget, chose real leather bags.
Because lasted much longer & wore more attractively.
I just owned less, or only one.

Would prefer to alternate different color-pop scarves/bag charms on 1 real leather bag, than to rotate through several faux leather reversible/colored bags.
Even nicest faux leather, modern bags look wrong to me. Move wrong, catch light wrong, smell wrong, scratch/age wrong.
I'd choose synthetic fabric bags instead.

But, just my opinion. :smile: Good luck deciding.

I admit i have not, coated canvas yes, pleather... faux leather call it what have you but no. I personally would worry about cracking?

Is it not coated canvas? for sure PVC? it's not costly but frankly, 100$ is a lot to have it only go a few months.

May i see the bag? i may have seen it, CK are everywhere here so i get a chance to play with them often they make the most lovely lilac color ...

Sad! Definitely not how I treat my bags.......:nogood:

I got this in Hong Kong and used it for travel a lot. It honestly lasted so many years looking like it's new until it fell into my mom's hands. Might have been $30. Admittedly this was before I discovered leather haha.

To be honest though I have yet to find one I like for its replacement.

I have had leather pieces fall apart on me before so I from personal experience i can't say that leather is definitely more durable, as the finish makes huge difference. I'm more abusive to my mbmjs than I am to my Bals for obvious reasons. My 2013 bal look like there's more wear in it than my 2007 mbmj even though I make zero effort to protect my mbmj other than not dragging it across the floor.

Dry leather can also crack and I agree with Amazona that it's really about quality.

As for faux leather beside this yellow one I have not loved anything else faux but again I've also never paid more than $30 for fake leather before. I once almost bought an mk cardholder for $60 that looks just like leather but turned out to be not. I would have never known if I didn't searched for its info online.

Sorry I don't have any definitive answers beside my little experience on either side. I hope it helps you at least prep yourself either way! Good luck!

Attachments

• 1429553651745.jpg
    1429553651745.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 568
Here's the bag ladies, I bought it but can't pick it up until Sunday (it's a pre-sell bag at Macy's).
I got it for about $80....sale discount plus a bit of $$ left on a gift card so not a huge money purchase.

This will also give me some time to think about it and if I decide not to keep it no big deal. But this bag looks very durable and well made. Also it will be a bag that I only use occasionally, not every day so I'm less concerned about its wear from that perspective too.

Thanks for all of your viewpoints!

Attachments

• IMG_1829.JPG
    IMG_1829.JPG
    353.1 KB · Views: 591
Here's the bag ladies, I bought it but can't pick it up until Sunday (it's a pre-sell bag at Macy's).
I got it for about $80....sale discount plus a bit of $$ left on a gift card so not a huge money purchase.

This will also give me some time to think about it and if I decide not to keep it no big deal. But this bag looks very durable and well made. Also it will be a bag that I only use occasionally, not every day so I'm less concerned about its wear from that perspective too.

Good choice, alansgail! It's a great looking bag at a great price. Enjoy!

:tup:

It's lovely. Don't care it's not leather!