Fantasy vs Reality

jayohwhy

O.G.
Jul 31, 2009
I finally decided on my everyday bag after shopping for everything under the sun. I had sold almost everything because I wasn't using it and was looking for the one. It was a long process because there are so many bags I like, but either they don't work for me practically or I couldn't bring myself to spend that much.

My fantasy bags:
celine luggage- heavy, luxe leather, 3000+
Vuitton soft lockit- beautiful, 4250
Chloe Marcy- gorgeous at 2000+

My reality:

Can't be too heavy. Needs to zip close so when I hit the breaks while driving things don't fall out (celine is out)
Comfortable straps both short and long (chloe is out)
Not ready to spend more than half a mortgage payment on a bag (lockit is out... For now)

It's weird to "grow up" and prioritize what really works for you. What is your bag fantasy vs reality?

For me handheld-only bags are more of a fantasy than a reality...I sold my LV Speedy for this reason, just wasn't practical for my lifestyle. I need to be able to throw it over my shoulder to have both my hands free without a bag danging from my arm getting in the way.

I totally get this! I have a similar wish list. I have the Celine luggage & you're totally right, the leather is lovely but quite heavy! I'm tempted by the BV parachute intrecciato bag in gray. I have a BV hobo that's very lightweight. But seriously I should be on a FREEZE.

Actually I find handheld bags easier now. They are better for the shoulders, though I never buy anything remotely heavy any more. Honestly though you don't have to sacrifice the fantasy, there are plenty of beautiful quality, lightweight bags that look stylish.:smile:

my fantasy is the hermes constance and for now i'm settling with my celine box
and it turns out the bag is still too small for me so i don't use it often. glad i don't get the constance, well, it's not like i can afford it for this time anyway LOL

The fantasy of most shoulder bags is that they would actually stay on one's shoulder when in reality I'd have to hold them in place with arm (which kinda defeats the purpose)

Even the ones that do stay on my shoulder like my new BV are for limited use. I know that shoulder bags only work for me in the Summer, when I don't need a coat. Even cross-bodies need to be small an flat so they an go under one. This is why most of my bags are handheld.

Another fantasy bag is the day clutch. Fine if you drive and pop-in here and there but not if you have to commute by train or travel all day on the Metro/tube/bus. In reality my clutches are for holidays, evening and occasional wear. I do think a nice clutch is worth investing some proper money in though because it can take a basic outfit to special in seconds, and in reality I often carry a silk scarf and clutch when going home to change is not an option.

The fantasy of most shoulder bags is that they would actually stay on one's shoulder when in reality I'd have to hold them in place with arm (which kinda defeats the purpose)

Even the ones that do stay on my shoulder like my new BV are for limited use. I know that shoulder bags only work for me in the Summer, when I don't need a coat. Even cross-bodies need to be small an flat so they an go under one. This is why most of my bags are handheld.

Another fantasy bag is the day clutch. Fine if you drive and pop-in here and there but not if you have to commute by train or travel all day on the Metro/tube/bus. In reality my clutches are for holidays, evening and occasional wear. I do think a nice clutch is worth investing some proper money in though because it can take a basic outfit to special in seconds, and in reality I often carry a silk scarf and clutch when going home to change is not an option.

We may well have been separated at birth...:biggrin:

Fantasy bag - Handheld like Speedy (I'd love to have an Aquarelle!)

Reality bag - Top-zip Tote or Crossbody bags bec. I have small kids aged 5 and 2 and I really just can't do handheld bags especially if both these critters are out with me ;)

I would loooove to carry my things in a humongous, slouchy grey suede hobo. A lovely daydream.
The reality is, I have ADD and can't stand it when my bag gets messy and unorganized. It really drives me nuts and I get very irritable. Also, suede is so sensitive to weather and abuse and that's what my bags have to face all the time - therefore I can't even consider investing in such a bag.
I have a nice faux leather hobo that's roomy and easy to keep organized, I've been trying to find a similar one in leather but with no luck so far. I do get that hobo kind of feeling, only with 2 shoulder straps, when I carry my Lumi Supermarket bag but I still would love a nice hobo, the way one sits on my shoulder and fits under my arm is just so RIGHT. So the search goes on.:broom:

Well put! I can totally relate to this!

A fantasy bag for me is the Balenciaga Clutch. I would LOVE to live a clutch lifestyle but I carry too much stuff and can't have one hand occupied carrying a bag. I do carry a clutch to dinner sometimes but that's about it.

I would loooove to carry my things in a humongous, slouchy grey suede hobo. A lovely daydream.
The reality is, I have ADD and can't stand it when my bag gets messy and unorganized. It really drives me nuts and I get very irritable. Also, suede is so sensitive to weather and abuse and that's what my bags have to face all the time - therefore I can't even consider investing in such a bag.
I have a nice faux leather hobo that's roomy and easy to keep organized, I've been trying to find a similar one in leather but with no luck so far. I do get that hobo kind of feeling, only with 2 shoulder straps, when I carry my Lumi Supermarket bag but I still would love a nice hobo, the way one sits on my shoulder and fits under my arm is just so RIGHT. So the search goes on.:broom:

I felt exactly like this until recently. For me, BV make the only hobos worth having (I have 3) but even then, with their escalating prices and focus on strange pastels I was about to give up on a new one for good. http://forum.purseblog.com/bottega-veneta/bye-bye-bv-868635.html

Have you tried a BV Cervo Hobo? Either the plain leather or woven (intrecciato) version (there is a grey this season). There is only one strap but it's extra w i d e and the whole bag falls inwards to the body so it doesn't keep annoyingly slipping. What's more it has 2 pockets either side of the inner, a zipped compartment and the other with a popper.

Fantasy #1: The fantasy of the big, slouchy tote (or hobo) in luxurious leather that looks boho chic and I can just toss all my stuff in and go. The Reality: I can't stand it when my stuff is disorganized and jumbled and I can't find what I'm looking for right away. Drives me batty.

Fantasy #2: The fantasy of the tiny, crossbody bag. I so wish I could be one of those girls who can get through the day on what fits inside a Chanel mini. The look is so effortless and light! The Reality: I need too much stuff! I need a bag that will hold sunglasses, Kleenex, not just a wallet, phone and keys. Don't even get me started on my need to carry a bottle of water most days, and heaven forbid I need a notebook or umbrella. Sigh.

Fantasy #3: The fantasy of the hand held bag. Love the look. The Reality: I need my hands! This one can be a compromise, fortunately, as so many bags now come with a detachable shoulder strap.

Knowing the realities does nothing to stop the fantasies!