fake bag story

true! I spend way less for shoes or clothes than what I do for handbags.

Second that! I even have a perfect explanation for this behaviour. Shoes and clothes are ruined or damaged much more easily. Shoes have to endure one's body weight and steps, they get dust and moisture and dirt from the ground, they are scratched... Clothes go through regular laundry and get stains easily. But handbags: if you treat them with respect, they are as fine as ever even after years of usage. :heart:

What a nasty person!

Sorry you had to be involved in her stupidity. :wtf:

Many people at my work have expensive cars, and yet we work in the ghetto. It's a small, been-there-forever publishing house that does upscale magazines, but the owner is too cheap to move to a safe place.

That said, I drive our second car, which is a truck, to work. Why have to worry about the nice car parked in the ghetto? So I am fortunate enough to have nice bags (LV, Bal., Hayden Harnett, Hermes, etc.) and I almost always buy them gently loved from the first owner. I can't tell you how many times stupid people ask about my bags and how much they cost, and if they're fake, and "if they're not, how can you spend so much on a purse and have a crappy car?"

Because I can save my purse from destruction in this neighborhood, but not my car. Would I rather risk $1,000 or $50,000? What morons.

I had posted a thread a while ago about how rude it was for people to ask the "is it real?" question. A very wise tPF'er advised me that when someone asks "is it real?" I should just reply, "Why, do I LOOK like I would carry a fake bag???"

That was incredibly rude, especially coming from someone that 'that' side of the counter. I used to work retail & were always told to make sure we didn't do anything to upset or offend any customers. Now seeing that she was the owner, that obviously wouldn't apply but since 'word of mouth' can bury a small business you'd think she'd would have benn cautious about what she says to customers! Some people have no filter!:shrugs:

Second that! I even have a perfect explanation for this behaviour. Shoes and clothes are ruined or damaged much more easily. Shoes have to endure one's body weight and steps, they get dust and moisture and dirt from the ground, they are scratched... Clothes go through regular laundry and get stains easily. But handbags: if you treat them with respect, they are as fine as ever even after years of usage. :heart:

Me too, I spend way less money on shoes compared to bags. I wear children size shoes :shrugs:

Actually I was waiting in line for the ladies' room at a Broadway show once, and carrying a small Coach purse. One of the other women on line admired my bag and asked me if it were real, and I was so surprised I think I was a bit snotty: I think I said something like "What else would it be?" And while I know she meant no offense, and I realize there are tons of Coach fakes out there, still, what's to be gained from that question? If it's fake, you just publicly outed the faker; if it's real, you just revealed your own ignorance.

true! I spend way less for shoes or clothes than what I do for handbags.
Lucretias, why did you say that your bag is fake?

I must've typed wrong. I told her my bag was real. But I wanted to say, Unless Gucci has started selling fake bags in their store, it's reall. Instead. I just said, "yes, it's real."

I had posted a thread a while ago about how rude it was for people to ask the "is it real?" question. A very wise tPF'er advised me that when someone asks "is it real?" I should just reply, "Why, do I LOOK like I would carry a fake bag???"[/quote]

:P Yes, that would have been the thing to say. I'm just not that bold.:smile: