Face primer drying my skin

jiffer

O.G.
Dec 20, 2009
I use a eyeshadow primer every day and love it. I couldnt imagine not doing my makeup without it.

But face primer is a different story. I have a combination skin and I have tried many different types of face primer. I find all of them dry my skin out bad.

Does anyone else have this problem? Is there a face primer that does not dry out skin.

Some of the ones I have tried MU, Smashbox, Bobby Brown and Tart.

There are some primers that hydrate the skin, like...Laura Mercier Hydrating Foundation Primer. Or using tinted moisturizer/BB cream as a primer might work for you.

I guess I just don't get the primer hype. I've always moisturized (I have very dry skin) and then foundation or powder and its come out pretty flawless and stays quite awhile. Id probably try a different moisturizer or maybe the bbcream or I guess specifically a hydrating primer.

I have found face primer to be drying also. I do notice a big difference in how good my make up looks when I use it so I won't give it up though. I just keep trying different ones. MUFE's primer was the worst for me. I have normal skin, not oily and not dry, and the best so far is the Smashbox photo finish primer. I like a dewey look and the primer prevents that. I might try a moisturizer as primer instead.

As far a BB creams, I found the Two Faced BB cream is very hydrating, but not a lot of shades are available.

I have combo skin and my worst areas for dryness are my chin and cheeks, but am also prone to acne in those areas, so I'm very cautious about both under and over moisturizing m skin.

I tried out my first primer a couple weeks ago, and started with the Smashbox Photo Finish Ol-Free due to the great reviews. I loved how the foundation looked after using it. However, after just three days, my checks and chin we getting itchy, dry, and started to flake. Fortunately, I was using a sample size! I found a Smashbox hydrating primer at Sephora and tried that out. It's been a week and a half, and the dryness has gone away and no acne problems. The finish isn't quite as nice as with the oil-free, but it wasn't worth it for the dryness problems!

My favorite primer is Clinques Pore Refining Soultions Stay-Matte Hydrator. It's not marketed as a primer but I use it as my primer/moisturizer because it hydrates but also keeps you and your make up matte. My make up can get greasy without and want to move around but with this stuff it stays put and doesn't get greasy. One of the few samples I've received that I actually ended up purchasing.

I've had good luck with Stila's hydrating primer (has SPF too - bonus!), and I use it over a light moisturizer before foundation.

However, I just checked Sephora's website and it's not there so it might be discontinued; there is an oil-free version but I haven't tried it.

XXXOO PG