Explorations in vintage Dooney & Bourke

Beautiful bags, I've always been a sucker for Dooney. My first designer bag. Added bonus with your pics is the beginning of the fall foliage show. Being from Central NY and now living here in Florida, I get very homesick this time of year. Thank you for the lovely memories. As well as the bags:smile:

Thanks, I'm a bit behind but have some more coming up! Yes, fall is our favorite time of year too!

I take photos for fun, and in photo forums we often do a 'pic of the day'. Also, I like to do documentary photography, in which we document changes of things over time. In this case, we'll see a change in the pocketbook. lol.

I'm going to add to this thread, by taking a photo of my wife, at the same place (NYC, Central Park, Gastrow Bridge), around the same time every day that it is practical (early morning on the way to work). With a different D&B find, of course.

Another Teton. Although with their homage to the Southwest, they are seeming a bit seasonal right now.

db11082012-10 by dentonTay, on Flickr

This is an early over-under in an unusual shade of blue. It has the DB and not the duck hang fob.

db11082012-11 by dentonTay, on Flickr

This is a nice medium Essex in Rouge.

db11082012-12 by dentonTay, on Flickr

Wow, this is a beautiful collection, and honestly eye opening for me. I've never given D&B any consideration, but this is really making me change my preconception. Beautiful..

I hope you have all survived well the Superstorm and now the Nor'easter. My thoughts and prayers are with all of you.

Thank you katiesmama, we are unscathed and in fact will have a d&b nor'easter snow picture coming up! Unfortunately others are not so lucky and we have two friends who lost their houses in Zone A areas. We also hosted some family and friends in the first difficult days when transportation was tough. I've been working hard downtown to bring back some of the large office buildings that lost all their infrastructure.

I take photos for fun, and in photo forums we often do a 'pic of the day'. Also, I like to do documentary photography, in which we document changes of things over time. In this case, we'll see a change in the pocketbook. lol.

I'm going to add to this thread, by taking a photo of my wife, at the same place (NYC, Central Park, Gastrow Bridge), around the same time every day that it is practical (early morning on the way to work). With a different D&B find, of course.

Hope you enjoy!

This is another 'bucket' bag. We now have them in most colors.

db11122012-12 by dentonTay, on Flickr

This bucket bag is really huge, there seem to be several sizes of them. Also, this was taken the morning after the recent Nor'easter. Central Park was officially closed, but a few anti-nanny types like us went through anyway.

db11122012-13 by dentonTay, on Flickr

And a few days later, this weekend was like summer! This is just the coolest bag. It has a flap on the back that allows it to be hooked onto a belt or pants, but it also has a shoulder strap. Makes a great case for a digital camera!

db11122012-14 by dentonTay, on Flickr

Hope you enjoy!

This style has become my wife's favorite for day to day usage. I believe this is called a top-handle Essex. It's beautifully made (even though this one is looking a bit lumpy) and most importantly, is large enough to hold a pair of shoes (essential in NYC) and her other needs. Oh, and that's a lovely Luca Luca suit we scored at their going out of business sample sale (so sad) with a Pucci scarf peeking out.

db03172013 by dentonTay, on Flickr

Here's another Top Handle Essex, we just discovered that like so many Dooneys, this was made in more than one size, and it's the largest size that really rocks. That's a great Canada Goose parka, keeps everyone nice and warm through the cold NYC winters, maybe not fashionable but beautifully made, in Canada!

db03172013-2 by dentonTay, on Flickr

For my wife's birthday, I decided to get her a Dooney bag (surprise!). I just love love love these Big Ducks! I have to say these are really more summer bags, they are so cute and light in weight and design. Hardly the thing to go with a big parka. But didn't want to wait until the summer to bring you this one! This one is in really good condition and so striking in red!

db03172013-3 by dentonTay, on Flickr

Last edited:

Hope you enjoy!

We went on a bit of a Big Duck binge, but this bag is just SO adorable! Here it is in Taupe.

db03202013 by dentonTay, on Flickr

A bit of a warm day allowed us to present another Big Duck, this time in Navy. A gorgeous Emmanuel Ungaro silk paisley blouse complements it. Just peeking out is a lizard Morris Moskowitz belt. All ebay scores.

db03202013-2 by dentonTay, on Flickr

This is another of my favorite designs, the simple, classic, Over and Under. These are early bags, they have the DB hang tag instead of the duck.

db03202013-3 by dentonTay, on Flickr