Expensive items you don't care about

Oh, there are a ton of things I don't really care for that are expensive. I'm not a fan of designer clothes, esp. since I change my clothes all the time. Also, I don't like the idea of wearing something I can't safely put in the washing machine; I'm too lazy to handwash everything!

I'm also not a fan of designer shoes, unless they're sneakers. I don't like the idea of wearing something designer when I'm going to put my feet in them and carry them along on the dirty floor.

I'm also not totally into a lot of designer accessories (such as agendas, glasses cases, cell holders, etc.). If I don't use the non-designer stuff, what's the point of my getting them with the name?

The one expensive item I don't care about is shoes, I mean a buy good quality shoes like ninewest, aldo, but nothing to fancy like jimmy choo or brand name shoes. I guess coz the fact that if I wear it it will get ruined anyway at least with purses I can take care of it. And I don't have to step on it. lol:graucho: :P

I *love* cute shoes, but the only ones I'll shell out more than $50 for are Doc Martens, and I only have about 15 pairs of those. Although I did once buy a pair of Coach heels for work from Marshall's for $79... What can I say, those people know leather!

DH and I generally live a frugal lifestyle, IMO. I drive a Ford SUV and he drives a Toyota Carolla, and we have a few tech toys but we (mostly DH) hate most big ticket items... like jewelry, long vacations, fancy dinners, etc. And I just never got into designer clothing.

i have really cheap dishes and silverware. It's maybe worth $25 all together. It's really stupid to spend alot of money on fragile things in Japan because there are alot of earthquakes. Even if there wasn't a risk of them breaking any second, I just wouldn't care for expensive ones anyway. Plus I often accidently break them myself.

Furniture too....I don't buy the cheapest stuff but I don't have any big name furniture. Just stuff I like and that will last a while.

Appliances too...all brand names but not even close to top of the line.

Underwear and bras....as far as bras go I buy which ever feel the best. Underwear I buy at Victorias secret because i like the cotton ones. I just figure no one is going to see them who isnt more concerned with what's underneath. As far as any sexy lingerie, when I have a boyfriend who wants me to wear it he can buy it...they usually would rather have it on the floor anyway. :graucho: :sneaky:

Technology - I've been using the same Sony Ericsson T310 phone for the past 3 years. It doesn't work that well now (turns off by itself, buttons sometimes don't work) but I won't buy a new one because I'm afraid of all the new technology. I had to borrow my brother's cellphone once, and I got confused. There were so many buttons and they were all close together and I misdialed the phone number twice, and then it took me 10 minutes to look through the menus and figure out how to put it in silent mode. I just don't understand why we need video cameras, internet and television on cellphones?!? :wtf:

Designer knick knacks - keychains, iPod cases, pens, and all that. They're so overpriced and dare I say - tacky! Especially the Hermes ones; you know they're just cashing in on the leftover leather scraps of Birkins and Kellys.

Jewellery - I only wear watches (under $200), and on special occasions I'll wear my gold necklace that was a gift from my grandfather, but I just don't see myself spending thousands of dollars on a melted piece of metal. Silver, platinum, gold.. it's all the same to me. :shrugs:

Fancy cookware & fine China - I walked into Williams & Sonoma one day, and found a frying pan that costs $400. Will it make my scrambled eggs taste any better? I think not. I'll take the $40 one from Sears and keep the $360. My deal with china is that i've been to many relatives and family friends houses for dinner and seen they store it and put it up on display, but never eat off it! They say they save it for "special occasions" and I get offended.. I come to their house maybe once or twice a year, and that's not special enough? :P

Shoes: I buy 99% of my shoes from zappos.com and they have such a big selection, it's easy to find a cute pair of reasonably priced shoes.

Restaurants: My fiance took me out to a really fancy restaurant for Valentine's Day and we hated it! The servers are so awkward and you pay all this money for a tiny portion of food. I prefer places like Red Robin and Applebee's!

Jewelry: Besides my engagement ring. Most of my stuff comes from Claire's (for special occasion) or I also like inspiredsilver.com.

Also, for the most part, I try to get bargains on clothes. I do spend a lot more on suits.

jeans, some jewelry.. n cars.. I like fine things.. but they don't need to be over 50K (for a car I mean.. maybe when I become rich, my opinion will change but for now, 50K on a car.... golly, that can buy me at least 5 birikins.. hehe)..

Cars: We don't have one, we live 3 minutes from the Tube and it's nicer to walk around and get some exercise when I need to get somewhere. If we lived in a different city I'd probably reconsider but as long as we live in London, we don't need one.

Jewellery: I wear my wedding and engagement rings, my Tiffany open heart necklace, and a pair of simple earrings, and that's almost always it. Sometimes I wear my grandmother's sapphire cocktail ring if we go out somewhere fancy, but usually it sits in my jewelry box. I like that what I have is quality, but I don't need more!

Housing: Our flat is in a nice and safe area but it's not fancy at all, and I don't care. It's big enough for us and everything works just fine, and the space has good vibes, so I can't complain.

Shoes: Actually I do care about nice shoes, but I don't need them to be designer, I need them to be COMFY! My feet are a bit screwed up from figure skating and running cross country competitively as a kid and my arches are weird, so I like "natural" brands like Naot, Birkenstock, Beautifeel, Ecco, etc. A lot of the styles are old-lady-ish but every so often they'll make something really cute. And comfort is especially important since I walk a LOT (see "cars" above!).

I do care about going on nice vacations (not fancy necessarily, but to cool places), good organic and free-range food, clothes, tech stuff, and of course bags!

Well, I'm not into phones, jewelry, clothes and shoes. I decided I will try to buy most of my clothes at Zara, so I will have more money for bags:P , and, living in Italy, I find great leather shoes at good prices. Of course I would like to earn more money to spend on designer shoes or clothes, but I'm realistic and try to find good deals. I'm currently searching a vintage Burberry trench under 100 €, measure 6 UK or 38 Italian...if anyone has one, let me know!

i have a '98 accord that i am just now having to take in for some work. (granted, it's got incredibly low miles). but, dang, can't beat that!

<apologies> a little OT but that's great, kallison! I sank about $1400 into a major servicing recently, but can't beat years of zero car or lease payments and little maintenance except for oil changes. :wlae:

I just thought of something else: antique furniture. I admit I really don't have an appreciation for these pieces. I prefer a more modern, contemporary look.

For me, there are only two things I spend on: electronics and bags.

I'm crazy for electronic gadgetry, computers, and computer peripherals. I have a MacBook, an iMac, and a basic Dell. I have a 250GB external hard drive, a Palm handheld, three iPods (4gb mini, 1gb nano, 30gb video), and Samsung's "Blade", and a Sony Cybershot DSC- M2, and tons of other relatively inexpensive peripherals.

I don't buy high- end clothing or shoes.