Everyday shoulder tote recommendation

I have a friend with a Victoria that she uses on her shoulder and as hand carry. She loves the bag and it surprisingly holds a lot. She also has two toddlers so you can imagine how much she has to carry.

I'm sorry to be late in the game on this thread but I have only recently signed up to tpf so this is my first post. This forum has been a fun place to lurk.

I know my feedback may be too late because you may have bought something already but just in case here is my experience.

When I started out buying Hermes I didn't have any kids. I now have kids and since then have been in search of the perfect bag to fulfill those needs. While I don't use any particular bag as a full time diaper bag I wanted to find something that could hold a lot so I didn't have to carry a diaper bag and handbag at the same time. I then proceeded to buy a garden party, DS, evelyn and jypsiere.

Of those I use the jypsiere the least. I have the original version and the buckle sometimes becomes undone and the belt straps were too fussy for me. It also doesn't have enough space for my needs when carry things for the kids.

The evelyn is great for being hands free but really doesn't hold a lot so you have to keep it simple and light on the kids stuff. This is the good bag if you don't need to carry much baby stuff.

I love my garden party bags a lot. I can really hold a lot and if you don't have tons you can even snap the top and sides to make it a bit more secure. The straps are long enough to carry on my shoulder if needed but may be a bit tight with a winter coat. It is also lined in fabric so if anything spills, it is a bit harder to clean. This is assuming you have a leather gp. The toile gp is not lined and so it is more sturdy and lighter. I once spilled hot chocolate on my toile gp and it cleaned up very nicely with some wipes. Thank goodness!!

I have had my DS for a few years now and at first didn't use it a lot. I also wondered if I was spending too much on a plain leather tote. But, I have recently used it more have come to appreciate it a lot more. It is holds a lot, sturdy, strong, leather cleans up easily and the straps are long enough to have a winter coat on too for shoulder carrying. The down side is that it can get heavy since it is a lot of leather and when filled to the brim which I have done.

Good luck on your search for the perfect fashionable mommy bag! Hope this helped a little.

This is a really helpful reference. Thank you for sharing!

Oh, I forgot about the Victoria. I have a Victoria also. I love that bag. It's a great everyday bag, mommy or not. It doesn't hold nearly as much as a the GP and DS in my opinion but it can hold a decent amount. Again, I think it requires editing of your kiddie stuff and like GP it is fabric lined so any spills or stains are tricky. So if you're carrying drink cups for the kids or snacks, make sure things are securely closed and can't leak. But I do love the fact you can zip it up and keep things safe and secure.

Another bag to consider, which I don't have, is a toolbox. The 33 definitely can hold a lot, almost too much and can probably get heavy. Though price is hefty too compared to GP and DS. The 26 seems like a good size but limited in size for kids stuff. But it's nice to have the shoulder strap and handles to have alternate choice in carrying. That's on my wish list.

Sorry to keep posting about this. I just took a look at the Victoria and GP side by side. They do seem be similar in size, length and width. The height is a little different. Also, maybe because the GP is open on top that it seems like it can hold more since you can pile up your stuff, which I have done. If you're neat and organized then perhaps a Victoria could be enough between the two. GP of course is cheaper though but no zip closure. Both are great, just a bit different in what it has to offer.

Oh I love the trim too! I have a 31 which suits my size but it can't hold a lot for carrying baby/kid stuff. It is not a go to bag for me as a mother. Maybe I just carry too much stuff around. Maybe a 35 would hold a lot more. Trims pop up on reseller sites at a good price but not readily available at the stores.

I love slouchy, myself. I AM slouchy, myself. :P Too bad that it isn't out there anymore; I wondered, as I hadn't seen any in some time. Ah, well.
I bought my Marwari in December... I saw a few of them in different stores then so if discontinued it hasn't been for long. Mine is the smaller size, I love it but it doesn't hold enough for the kids (but then again I tend to carry a lot of stuff!!)

I love slouchy, myself. I AM slouchy, myself. :P Too bad that it isn't out there anymore; I wondered, as I hadn't seen any in some time. Ah, well.
Tell me about being slouchy, my dear Mindi, I'm pretty sure I beat you on this any time! More seriously, I asked about this one and was told at FSH it had been discontinued...

Oh I love the trim too! I have a 31 which suits my size but it can't hold a lot for carrying baby/kid stuff. It is not a go to bag for me as a mother. Maybe I just carry too much stuff around. Maybe a 35 would hold a lot more. Trims pop up on reseller sites at a good price but not readily available at the stores.
Yes, I agree that a 35 would be the best size for a mom. Mine is a 35 and it seems spacious.

I think it all depends on how old your baby is and how much baby stuff you plan to carry. I always pack my twins' bottles and snacks in a little insulated lunch pack and only carry some of their small items in my bag so any bag was fine really. I did find that it was easier to use bags that open at the top like a So Kelly because it was easier to get in/out than bag with zippers. I do drive everywhere so bringing 2 bags wasn't an issue.

Has anybody suggested a Marwari? Don't know if it is still available, but it's a great casual shoulder bag, IMO.
Marwari is a great workhorse bag, mine is a GM size and i travel the world with it..........but last time at FSH during February they are offering it, so there should be a couple still floating around.......