€8000 to spend on bags

For multiple reasons but the largest being lower labour costs in Asia. Exotic leathers while expensive are actually substantially cheaper than one might think looking at retail prices of exotics from luxury staples like say Hermes or Delvaux.

https://www.kwanpen.com/collections/handbags/products/raffles-1819-handbag-85th-anniversary-edition (even their diamond anniversary raffles is relatively well priced compared to similar offering from competitors).

Same reason ACME shoemaker is so disruptive within bespoke shoemaking realm.

To the OP @jenapp (Staying on topic if you like exotics: Ferragamo outlets have been known to have ostrich and crocodilian bags in your price range at times)

Another beautiful one in your price range:
View attachment 5835085
This was super useful! I've also considered outlets to buy an exotic but again depends on the style and usage of the bag

Reactions: A bottle of Red
I

so no rain for croc or gator?

How are the Kwanpen bags so inexpensive for exotics? I don't think I have ever seen croc or gator bags for the price they charge.
I saw a Spanish brand called Maria Oliver only on Bergdorf Goodman, Neiman Marcus and a few on Saks croc and 1 alligator also for much less than Kwanpen and heard good quality, better than Nancy Gonzalez who used to have croc bags on those sites.

• Insightful
Reactions: A bottle of Red
I use my Jimmy Choo matte crocodile in All weathers-I’ve had it for over 5 years since new and it Still looks good..I don’t baby it..lizard isn’t ok for wet weather.
Ostrich I also have, I don’t baby it at all, but it darkens from the oils in your skin, but my crocodile bags I literally treat as leather…
I guess it won’t last 100 years, but I have the fun of using it, and I’ll buy a new croc when it doesn’t look great anymore..I’m not opening a museum.

I saw a Spanish brand called Maria Oliver
Can someone remind me where I got the idea that Maria Oliver is owned by the Gucci family? I can't seem to find it on Google. Did I make that up?

EDIT: Also, if no one is able to substantiate this rumor, please ignore me. I may be mixing things up. I have zero inside knowledge! Only adding this disclaimer because it's getting late in LA and I don't want to wake up to find out that I started a rumor.

Can someone remind me where I got the idea that Maria Oliver is owned by the Gucci family? I can't seem to find it on Google. Did I make that up?

EDIT: Also, if no one is able to substantiate this rumor, please ignore me. I may be mixing things up. I have zero inside knowledge! Only adding this disclaimer because it's getting late in LA and I don't want to wake up to find out that I started a rumor.

You didn't make it up :lol:

But Gucci are not allowed to use their own name anymore for anything at all related to what Gucci sells. I think the only exception is the 'Paolo Gucci' (separate agreement in the late '80s)

MO debuted in 2021 a century after Gucci was founded. That year MO put out through PR:

The new brand is private about its founders, saying only that they are linked to a European family who specializes in luxury products and has been in business for more than 100 years (Waller: March 21, WWD)

MO says it has links to Spain too, but Loewe goes much further back (1846) so I think they're manufacturing links must be with Spain whilst the founders must be related to the Gucci family. Take everything with a pinch of salt though, because a lot of people married into the Gucci family who also have the name and who have no background in leathergoods.

Before, the only Gucci related leather goods company (that I know of) was Roberto Gucci's links to House of Florence. FYI: My computer warns me it's no longer safe to go to the House of Florence website any longer.

You didn't make it up :lol:

But Gucci are not allowed to use their own name anymore for anything at all related to what Gucci sells. I think the only exception is the 'Paolo Gucci' (separate agreement in the late '80s)

MO debuted in 2021 a century after Gucci was founded. That year MO put out through PR:

MO says it has links to Spain too, but Loewe goes much further back (1846) so I think they're manufacturing links must be with Spain whilst the founders must be related to the Gucci family. Take everything with a pinch of salt though, because a lot of people married into the Gucci family who also have the name and who have no background in leathergoods.

Before, the only Gucci related leather goods company (that I know of) was Roberto Gucci's links to House of Florence. FYI: My computer warns me it's no longer safe to go to the House of Florence website any longer.
Thank you for the clarification!

Reactions: papertiger