Engagement rings that are made of other precious stones

guccilover21

I ❤️ bags.
O.G.
Dec 19, 2011
What are your views on Amethyst engagement rings? I would like to upgrade mine and really love the colour of the purple and that you can get so much more cts for such cheap prices. I currently have a yellow gold round cut solitaire diamond. I'm looking for something a bit different.

As an example, what do you think of this?

http://www.swaguk.co.uk/amethyst-5-33ct-gold-dress-ring

I have a plain yellow gold wedding band and a regular diamond eternity ring as well so would like them to match together.

Of course I love it--that's my birthstone! I have a large amethyst ring that I don't wear enough, gonna dig it out today! People do comment on it (in a good way!).

Reactions: skyqueen
I love amethysts...my birthstone, too! That being said, I'd consider a sapphire over an amethyst for an e-ring. A Ceylon sapphire would be lovely
but can be costly. Sapphires are used, frequently, in place of a diamond for e-rings.

My only advice here is that whatever stone you choose, make sure it is well protected if you wear it every single day, as other precious and semi-precious stones are not as hard as diamonds. I had a beautiful amethyst ring that shocked the heck out of me one day when I looked down at it and saw a nice chip out of one of the corners. I wished at that point that I had bezel set it.

The Amethyst is very pretty but unfortunately not very practical for everyday wear. They are quite soft compared to sapphires and diamonds. They are basically a purple quartz. Even with sapphires and rubies you have to be careful.

i think there are sapphires out there that is colored purple if you really want amethyst. Amethyst looks so pretty I admit! but its good for a ring you only wear on occasions. if its an engagement ring that means it is something you will wear quite often or everyday so you need a stone that is hard to withstand regular usage. purple sapphires can be pricey seeing that its not something I see on jewelers on a regular basis but that can be an added appeal if you see one. maybe you can try online. I heard about the sapphire company though I never tried buying from them. you can ask people here who ordered from them. i think they are a reputable site but you can verify from someone who already ordered from them.