Engagement rings that are made of other precious stones

guccilover21

I ❤️ bags.
Dec 19, 2011
What are your views on Amethyst engagement rings? I would like to upgrade mine and really love the colour of the purple and that you can get so much more cts for such cheap prices. I currently have a yellow gold round cut solitaire diamond. I'm looking for something a bit different.

As an example, what do you think of this?

http://www.swaguk.co.uk/amethyst-5-33ct-gold-dress-ring

I have a plain yellow gold wedding band and a regular diamond eternity ring as well so would like them to match together.

kemilia

the boonies of illinois
O.G.
Mar 14, 2006
the boonies of illinois
Of course I love it--that's my birthstone! I have a large amethyst ring that I don't wear enough, gonna dig it out today! People do comment on it (in a good way!).

Reactions: skyqueen

Pmrbfay

Mar 5, 2016
That amethyst is a gorgeous ring! I have a star cut blue topaz in white gold for mine so I like the unusual types of ring.

skyqueen

O.G.
Aug 5, 2007
I love amethysts...my birthstone, too! That being said, I'd consider a sapphire over an amethyst for an e-ring. A Ceylon sapphire would be lovely
but can be costly. Sapphires are used, frequently, in place of a diamond for e-rings.

Jul 21, 2006
Southwest Florida
My only advice here is that whatever stone you choose, make sure it is well protected if you wear it every single day, as other precious and semi-precious stones are not as hard as diamonds. I had a beautiful amethyst ring that shocked the heck out of me one day when I looked down at it and saw a nice chip out of one of the corners. I wished at that point that I had bezel set it.

Gourmetgal

Nov 13, 2014
The Amethyst is very pretty but unfortunately not very practical for everyday wear. They are quite soft compared to sapphires and diamonds. They are basically a purple quartz. Even with sapphires and rubies you have to be careful.

Mcandy

Jul 24, 2013
i think there are sapphires out there that is colored purple if you really want amethyst. Amethyst looks so pretty I admit! but its good for a ring you only wear on occasions. if its an engagement ring that means it is something you will wear quite often or everyday so you need a stone that is hard to withstand regular usage. purple sapphires can be pricey seeing that its not something I see on jewelers on a regular basis but that can be an added appeal if you see one. maybe you can try online. I heard about the sapphire company though I never tried buying from them. you can ask people here who ordered from them. i think they are a reputable site but you can verify from someone who already ordered from them.