Empreinte OnTheGo opinions

Unless you are selling a Kelly or Birkin, their resale values suck in comparison to LV or Chanel. Talk about a one (or two) trick pony. Overrated brand overall with a select few great pieces.
Take a look at the “pre-loved” market: everything that doesn’t have an obvious flashy logo or that is not instantly recognizable as “designer” doesn’t hold its value as well. A large part of second-hand buyers are obsessed with buying ostentatious items covered in logos to signal their (imagined?) social status.

I think your qualification of Hermès is quite unfair. Although I have loved LV for decades, I recognize that Hermès products are superior in quality and that their approach to design is awesome.

I can enjoy both brands even though they are very different.

Take a look at the “pre-loved” market: everything that doesn’t have an obvious flashy logo or that is not instantly recognizable as “designer” doesn’t hold its value as well. A large part of second-hand buyers are obsessed with buying ostentatious items covered in logos to signal their (imagined?) social status.

I think your qualification of Hermès is quite unfair. Although I have loved LV for decades, I recognize that Hermès products are superior in quality and that their approach to design is awesome.

No disagreements with what you said, especially their craftsmanship. With that said, unless you are investing in something that has resale value, it’s a hard sell for many, unless of course you plan on keeping the piece for life. Why people buy what they buy on the secondary market is irrelevant if you are trying to sell an expensive piece and getting less than half of what you paid. Same goes for many LV leather pieces. To your point, they are often crafted better, higher quality, yet sell for less than canvas on the secondary market. I have some Epi and Infini pieces that I would never dare to sell because of this, but I purchased them to keep and not as investment pieces. Birkin and Kelly are both such high profile bags, many who purchase other Hermes pieces don’t realize those are the only pieces with excellent resale value and get disappointed. The point was not to discount Hermes quality but rather bring them back down to earth in realizing that without those 2 pieces, there’s not much of a demand for that brand. Sadly, many clients are coerced into purchasing low demand pieces in hopes for a Birkin or Kelly, which makes Hermes look even more like a desperate one (or two) trick pony brand.

Reactions: lilone

Oh wow! That is a very clear - somewhat presumptuous- statement on the motives of second-hand buyers! :biggrin:

It’s not presumptuous: it’s just the objective truth whether you like it or not.
Hmm, your really believe that? It is not true, actually. Adjectives like ‘ostentatious’ can not part of objective truths. Also the assumption as you why they do it is not an objective truth but...an assumption.
The only objective part about your sentence would be:
”A large part of second-hand buyers are buying items covered in logos”
Whether you like it or not :P

Hmm, your really believe that? It is not true, actually. Adjectives like ‘ostentatious’ can not part of objective truths. Also the assumption as you why they do it is not an objective truth but...an assumption.
Lol I pushed a button I see...

Unless you are selling a Kelly or Birkin, their resale values suck in comparison to LV or Chanel. Talk about a one (or two) trick pony. Overrated brand overall with a select few great pieces.
Hermes is coming out with a few new (I think less "snooze fest") designs for spring I am looking forward to. I am not a huge fan of the GP (TOO boring) and I get tired of my Birkins (I should have diversified), C & K are too fussy IMHO, 24/24 is DIVINE with the leathers used but also fussy & included strap is useless, Lindy is good capacity but also fussy, Evelyne is a solid (but a bit earthy) easy bag. I keep wanting to throw my money at Hermes, but just not a lot I truly love, which I think is an issue for many of us trying to change our bag game & no place to go. Also, resale on exotic B&K are abysmal too, and these days resale for regular B&K are not that much over retail including tax. The demand is far from what it once was.

Moynat & Delvaux don't make great structured totes (non-logo high-end leather brands), & Dior new small book tote size is great (but also logo heavy). Totes with longer optional straps are my favorite silhouette, but just not many choices out there that I like . I will say the LV on my side is also a REALLY good one all around. Sometimes it's better just to hire a leather artisan and design your own instead of trying to make a designer work for you (and compromising). When doing so, at least for me, I am less likely to sell b/c it was tailored to exactly what I wanted. Since you are not paying all the markup of a major design house, you can also go then with amazing exotics, etc. Just a thought.

Word should be subjective not objective? I love buying logo bags and I’m definitely not trying to signal any kind of social status. I just like bags with logos.

I’d consider the weight of each. Garden Party, depending upon the leather you choose, is fairly heavy. Clemence was too heavy for me, although beautiful.

Word should be subjective not objective? I love buying logo bags and I’m definitely not trying to signal any kind of social status. I just like bags with logos.

To each their own! I love myself a logo once in a while as well. I was countering fabuleux statement that people who buy logo signal a certain social status.
I do mean objective. As in factually, not including opinions.

I don't find the GP practical in bigger sizes. The are floppy and, if it's a concern to you, an invitation for pickpockets. I know your intention may not have been to compare to two similar bags,but regardless, the OTG and GP aren't that similar. I always thought OTG was more of a vuitton take on the bootk tote which is also much more structured than the GP. Have you had a look at the hermes double sens? I actually do like the OTG, but it's too loud for me