Ecofriendly- "green" shoping bag options

But do the Baggu bags fold into there own integrated pouch, so you can put it in your purse?

Yeah, the baggu bags have their own pouch, but it's not integrated into the bag. I usually just throw the bag cover in my own purse. Sometimes I think I'm too klutzy for those integrated bag things (which would require my flipping something inside out or about) - I can just see myself cursing at the checkout counter trying to get the bag right-side-in LOL!

^^LOL!! That's funny :smile: There really pretty easy. The trick is however, getting them out before the checker starts putting stuff in a plastic bag.

I've had, on more than one occasion, checkers not notice (or forgot) that I brought my own bags, and then after resacking in my bag, they throw the plastic bag in the trash!!! I was so peaved, and asked them, "You do realize, you just defeated the whole reason I bring my own bags?!"

We have an envirosax bag and a chicco bag at home and I prefer the envirosax myself. It's a little bigger (and prettier) so holds a little more. I agree with whoever said though that they could fold up even smaller if the buckle-up strap were smaller. I am thinking about trying the baggu bags after this thread though too - those are very pretty as well.

I have found that it really makes a big difference to have them small enough to toss in my purse or even my pocket - I have a bunch of the big IKEA reusable bags at home and they didn't get used much as I kept forgetting to actually bring them into the store or whatever and they are somewhat cumbersome to store, etc. Since I got my envirosax bag, I find that I actually use it! :yes:

luvinmybags;4933610 I've had said:
LOL! That has happened to me too, and I can't stand it! Or, if for some reason if I forget my bags/don't have enough room in them and have to begrudgingly use paper or plastic from the store, they try to put just a few things in each bag. I tell them to just put it all in one - so they double bag it when it's not even heavy! I have given my "save the environment" lecture to way too many 16-year-old baggers in my day!

I have 8 of the Acme bags from reusablebags.com. I got them last summer, and I use them all the time. Since I only shop for two, I rarely need a cart, so I carry one or two into the store and use them to hold my items before checkout. I have enough bags so if I forget to put them back in the car, there are always a few still in there. I love these bags, they are larger than standard grocery bags, easy to carry, and very sturdy.

http://www.reusablebags.com/store/acme-bags™-earthtote™-reusable-shopping-p-10.html

I have a couple of chico bags that i use. i love them and prefer them over the baggu if only because they fit so easily in my purse, are super small in the pouch, and have a clip so I can clip them onto my jeans if my hands are full or on the grocery cart so I remember to bring them out quickly and i don't have to hurry in the checkout line.

I just say this from Hayden Harnett - organic cotton (conventional cotton uses LOTS of pesticides - more than many other crops!) + all proceeds go to Farm Aid. And it's cute!
1200351843639962263.jpg

I would love to use these awesome green bags but here is my problem. I would have to buy like 50 just for all of my groceries. I shop once a week but I have 4 people in my family so when I shop my whole shipping cart is full. I just don't see how they would fit all of my groceries. I would LOVE to use them though. Any suggestions?

I would love to use these awesome green bags but here is my problem. I would have to buy like 50 just for all of my groceries. I shop once a week but I have 4 people in my family so when I shop my whole shipping cart is full. I just don't see how they would fit all of my groceries. I would LOVE to use them though. Any suggestions?

how do you do your shopping now? do you just use a ton of paper/plastic bags each time you go shopping or do you have some other method? the way i see it, you can often use fewer cloth bags than paper/plastic since they are stronger and hold more, so it might actually make things easier! and if it's too much to buy a bunch of cloth bags all at once, maybe start slowly and buy a couple every month or whatever. having some reusable bags is better than having none! also, you could try saving the plastic or paper bags from the store and bringing them back to use again, though i think that once you start using cloth bags, you won't want to go back to those paper and plastic bags of the past! and when you think of how much stuff you are keeping out of the landfills, it will make it even more worth it to BYOB (bring your own bags). oh, and many supermarkets give (small) discounts for using your own bags - which could add up with all of the groceries you have to buy! hope that helps! :smile:

how do you do your shopping now? do you just use a ton of paper/plastic bags each time you go shopping or do you have some other method? the way i see it, you can often use fewer cloth bags than paper/plastic since they are stronger and hold more, so it might actually make things easier! and if it's too much to buy a bunch of cloth bags all at once, maybe start slowly and buy a couple every month or whatever. having some reusable bags is better than having none! also, you could try saving the plastic or paper bags from the store and bringing them back to use again, though i think that once you start using cloth bags, you won't want to go back to those paper and plastic bags of the past! and when you think of how much stuff you are keeping out of the landfills, it will make it even more worth it to BYOB (bring your own bags). oh, and many supermarkets give (small) discounts for using your own bags - which could add up with all of the groceries you have to buy! hope that helps! :smile:

I use the plastic bags (I know I feel bad everytime I do) but I don't throw them away. I recycle them. But I would love to use the green bags. I might start small like you said and buy a few at a time. I really do hate to use plastic. It makes me feel so horrible. Thank you for the suggestions!

I agree with belleoftheball, most of these bags are bigger then the standard plastic bag and will hold more. The envirosax I have is pretty big and holds a surprising amount. I would say just try getting one or two a month - I bet you will really like them once you start using them! And like she said, even if you start out just using a couple of the recyclables, you will be helping!!!!

I just checked out the baggus. They look huge! I read the FAQ's and they claim that a set of 6 will hold a cart full of groceries. They are 23" tall and 14" wide so I am thinking they will fit a lot! I am going to order the set of 6 now and go from there! Thanks so much girls! I have been dying to use these bags!!