Ebay restocking fees?

when i got a fake bag, which i returned, i made sure the seller gave me back all of my money.. no, i don't think you should pay for getting a fake bag, if you didn't know in advance you were getting a fake... make sure that the seller returns all of your money..

This is probably a silly question, but I've heard of this before and still don't understand it- what is a restocking fee?

Is it just what it sounds like? Why would restocking a product cost money? So confused...

You should get all of your money back if it was fake. If they don't, file with paypal and your cc. Also file a report with ebay that you received counterfeit merchandise.

Spirals, some stores charge a restocking fee to return. Basically, to add it back into inventory, reverse the transaction, etc. If it's a professional business sometimes they charge their time and effort on returns/exchanges but MOST of the time it's due to just a change of mind of the buyer, not due to misrepresentation or a defect. Many electronic stores do this too. A fake bag is a BIG defect. If they're charging as they would a real bag, lets say 1000.00, the "restocking" fee is 100.00...what do they charge fake bags for like 50.00? So, even if you don't want it, they're still making more than what the bag's worth AND attempting to keep the shipping on top of that, so why not just list it? They're still making a profit either way. Give me a break.

there's no such thing as a restocking fee. The seller probably sells fakes from a drop shipper, or they're idiots who need to be kicked in the teeth. I hate when sellers pull this restocking fee crap.

This is probably a silly question, but I've heard of this before and still don't understand it- what is a restocking fee?

Is it just what it sounds like? Why would restocking a product cost money? So confused...

I charge a restocking fee if the buyer wants to return the item. I charge what it cost me to relist the item on ebay. It think it is only fair when the buyer changes their mind about the sale after they outbid other bidders & won.

If the seller lied to you and sold you a fake, he/she needs to refund the money fully AND reimburse you for ALL the shipping costs. It is bad enough that the seller duped you, he/she should not be expecting you to incur any charges. Actually, I suspect that some ppl who scam do that on purpose knowing that the buyers will find out it's a fake and that they were counting on the restocking fee. It's absolutely unbelievable.

One time I was scammed on eBay where a seller sold me a fake LV bag. I had a tough time contact her and when I called her again a month later, she refunded me the money less restocking fee, less shipping fee, less PAYPAL fee! Unfortunately the dispute deadline had long passed since then and that powerseller is still roaming free on ebay.

Don't let people like that get away with your money. Demand that 10% back plus shipping.

I charge a restocking fee if the buyer wants to return the item. I charge what it cost me to relist the item on ebay. It think it is only fair when the buyer changes their mind about the sale after they outbid other bidders & won.

As long as you're not misrepresenting your items or selling fakes, that's completely up to you as the seller, as long as your terms are in writing on your auction! It's these fakers who are going to get your money no matter what who should be reported and tarred and feathered.

That's reasonable and actually nice of you. Most sellers don't even let someone return if it's just a change of mind at all. I wouldn't mind if a seller did that and it would be welcomed. There have been items I've wanted to return (although never asked) because it was too big or the color wasn't what I expected and would have been happy to pay a restocking fee but was stuck with them. :P

Spirals, some stores charge a restocking fee to return. Basically, to add it back into inventory, reverse the transaction, etc. If it's a professional business sometimes they charge their time and effort on returns/exchanges but MOST of the time it's due to just a change of mind of the buyer, not due to misrepresentation or a defect. Many electronic stores do this too.

Oh! Thanks surferchick for that explanation! :flowers:

So the restocking fee is kind of like the fee that some retail stores charge for "handling", I take it? Interesting.

As long as you're not misrepresenting your items or selling fakes, that's completely up to you as the seller, as long as your terms are in writing on your auction! It's these fakers who are going to get your money no matter what who should be reported and tarred and feathered.

oh yes, everything is in my terms & all my items are fully described honestly.
I agree if the item is not as described then the seller should not charge a dime, give a full refund & pay the return shipping.

That's reasonable and actually nice of you. Most sellers don't even let someone return if it's just a change of mind at all. I wouldn't mind if a seller did that and it would be welcomed. There have been items I've wanted to return (although never asked) because it was too big or the color wasn't what I expected and would have been happy to pay a restocking fee but was stuck with them. :P

Thanks, I try to be but sometimes these buyers on ebay make me:nuts: :nuts: !!

I state in my listing that all sales are final because I feel like my items are described 100% correctly. I do make exceptions sometimes if the buyer made a honest mistake & is nice about it. I do feel bad about charging the restock fee but if I don't I am actually losing money on the sale.

If you are really ever unhappy with your item it doesn't hurt to send a "nice" email to the seller & see if you can work something out. The worst they can say is no.