eBay pet peeves! Post yours!

Watchers who rewatch just to see whether you will drop the price.
I've had things on my Watch List for years. They may be 'good til cancelled' items, or ones the seller has mulitples of and constantly restocks. Sometimes I'm just not sure if I want it. Sometimes I wait to see if the price drops or they put out another sitewide coupon.

There have been times when an item is not relisted where I'll contact the seller. If they relist on my request, I always buy. I don't string sellers along like that.

I've had things on my Watch List for years. They may be 'good til cancelled' items, or ones the seller has mulitples of and constantly restocks. Sometimes I'm just not sure if I want it. Sometimes I wait to see if the price drops or they put out another sitewide coupon.

There have been times when an item is not relisted where I'll contact the seller. If they relist on my request, I always buy. I don't string sellers along like that.
I've Always Wondered How a Seller can keep an item listed so long-so they're not getting charged a fee by Ebay? (I've never sold~so I have No Idea how that works) I've done searches on my fav designers and this one has had seriously a few items on for at least 2 years.. Then I think Really? Maybe you need to look at the pricing... I've bought the SAME items for approx. 40% less. I get irritated because it's just too much~all her stuff is marked VERY high like that~ Seriously she'd have at least SOME Sales!! Achhhh Ok I need to Stop or Forget it! :cursing::panic::mad:

^^ Store subscribers get a number of listing spaces each month at no charge, so 20 or 30 'good til cancelled' listings might not cost them anything. There was talk that they would be cancelling stale listings like these, but I don't know what happened to that plan.

I've been watching one for almost 4 years now. I contacted the seller a couple of times and got no responses, not even a 'get lost', so even if they dropped the price to near nothing, I probably wouldn't buy from that seller.

Reactions: Ddj634
When no measurements are given.
OMG YES! I HATE when i'm Looking For Skirts and They Have Like a Waist Measurement and NO Hip/Thigh! I've Spent So Much Time Emailing~ That Needs to be a Requirement with the Listings. Same for Blouses and Shirts etc. You Shouldn't be able to Post that Listing unless All info is Complete. I often wonder, Don't Those People want to know if THEY'RE Shopping online? Truly, Some Seller Will Say it's a Med or Large and ya Get it and it Doesn't Fit...

^^ Store subscribers get a number of listing spaces each month at no charge, so 20 or 30 'good til cancelled' listings might not cost them anything. There was talk that they would be cancelling stale listings like these, but I don't know what happened to that plan.

I've been watching one for almost 4 years now. I contacted the seller a couple of times and got no responses, not even a 'get lost', so even if they dropped the price to near nothing, I probably wouldn't buy from that seller.
Agreed~ Nothing Good Would Come out of a Seller that's Ghosting.. I Also Wonder what kind of Condition that item you're Watching is.. And Ones I've Been Watching.. Mildew~Musty Who Knows. I've Bought Purses Like That and I've Never Had Luck
With Getting those odors out..

I've Seen That Also I get SO Disappointed and then irritated ~Why is it Listed that way???

So people don't know it comes from China, additionally, if the item is defective or simply not as described, etc. they claim they can't issue return postage, so you end up paying a lot of money (in the UK tracked sending to China is about 28 GBP) which you most likely will never see again...

Same on this side of the pond, items I bought where they claimed it is in London, you get the confirmation mail that your item will be shipped from a warehouse in China....

How You Describe is Fair~ And True if a Buyer Wants Something that Looks New Then Buy New. Agreed.

This wasn't recent, but I had someone question me about a toy I described as having "numerous rubs, and black marks" (and it was priced accordingly). They said they couldn't see them in the pictures and wanted to know exactly where they were. My response was "Everywhere. As I said in the listing, it has numerous rubs, and black marks. I know they are hard to see, but they are there." This was a vintage toy from the 70's-80's, and collectors generally use them for custom projects when they are in that condition. And the price was about 1/2 of what they were selling for in good-mint condition. Why did I need to say where all of the flaws were. It would have been a very long description, they were everywhere :lol: They didn't buy it, of course, but someone else did not too long after that.

This wasn't recent, but I had someone question me about a toy I described as having "numerous rubs, and black marks" (and it was priced accordingly). They said they couldn't see them in the pictures and wanted to know exactly where they were. My response was "Everywhere. As I said in the listing, it has numerous rubs, and black marks. I know they are hard to see, but they are there." This was a vintage toy from the 70's-80's, and collectors generally use them for custom projects when they are in that condition. And the price was about 1/2 of what they were selling for in good-mint condition. Why did I need to say where all of the flaws were. It would have been a very long description, they were everywhere :lol: They didn't buy it, of course, but someone else did not too long after that.

I think most of the people who buy online are a bit psycho, I much prefer sites that take a commission, check it and then send it to the buyer than dealing with serious mentalists. Sold something as "good" on Vide, simply because I bought it according to size, a DvF dress, and while it was the correct size in the dress, the item came quite large, looked ridiculous on me so I sold it on, it had no flaws but you could tell that it had been worn and washed so I sold it as just good. Buyer loved it, told me how good it looks on her, that she is surprised it is in such great condition, and she is going to wear it to a party, then to another event, blah blah. I think that's great, a week later she complains that she had it dry cleaned and they told her there were 3 stains on the dress. Well, since she wore it the whole week to parties and what not, I think that is how the stains got in, if there would have been stains there in the first place, one would think during a week of wearing she would have noticed? Especially in a dress that was light cream and yellow, kind of hard to hide a stain in very light material.

Reactions: meepabeep
This wasn't recent, but I had someone question me about a toy I described as having "numerous rubs, and black marks" (and it was priced accordingly). They said they couldn't see them in the pictures and wanted to know exactly where they were. My response was "Everywhere. As I said in the listing, it has numerous rubs, and black marks. I know they are hard to see, but they are there."
I don't whether you have a return policy but if you don't have one, that could be the reason why buyers want to know exactly what to expect.

"Conditional" descriptions are so subjective and what you describe as "good" might be excellent to one buyer and poor to another.

So even if you say "numerous rubs and black marks," if the buyer can't see them in the pictures than it's possible that the pictures need to be clearer, taken with the macro function, in better light or another way to let the buyer know exactly what to expect.

And again, if there's a no return policy, that's even more reason why good buyers want to do their due diligence in learning what to expect.

Reactions: meepabeep
I don't whether you have a return policy but if you don't have one, that could be the reason why buyers want to know exactly what to expect.

"Conditional" descriptions are so subjective and what you describe as "good" might be excellent to one buyer and poor to another.

So even if you say "numerous rubs and black marks," if the buyer can't see them in the pictures than it's possible that the pictures need to be clearer, taken with the macro function, in better light or another way to let the buyer know exactly what to expect.

And again, if there's a no return policy, that's even more reason why good buyers want to do their due diligence in learning what to expect.

I don't take returns, so maybe that's why. I totally understand that descriptions are subjective. I've received items that were described as mint, that weren't, in my opinion, and ones that were better than described.

The picture of the toy ( model horse) was pretty clear (my photos usually are, I take them in natural light), but the paint job (dapple grey) "hid" a lot of the flaws. As for the other items people are asking about, where they can't see the "flaws", there really aren't any or they very light and/or small. I just don't want to say something is perfect, when it is used, even if it is. For the reason above (subjective).

fullsizeoutput_cf1.jpeg Finally, I happen to have another horse just like it. As you can see the paint job is the reason you couldn't see the flaws. The photo of the one I sold was taken in natural light, so it was better than this one.

Personally, I think the people asking the questions are just really picky. I'm picky too, but I'm not that bad, lol.

Last edited:
I guess I should've said all that earlier....that my photos were clear, the paint job "hid" the flaws. Duh, lol. Sometimes I leave important parts out because I'm tired. Also, that the horse was sold as a "body", and people customize them with new paint jobs (etc.) anyway, so the condition shouldn't really matter.

I have a new one as of today. I bid on and won an item on eBay then paid within 48 hours, specifically the second half because I wanted to see whether the day after I won the bid would have a coupon I could apply. After paying, the seller messaged me that the item was no longer available because she already sold it and forgot to take the listing down. Whether this is true or not, I'm not fussed as long as I do get a refund. It's just that she didn't tell me immediately after she got the message saying I won the bid but waited until I paid. Maybe she was waiting to see whether I'd back out (I've never returned or canceled a purchase on eBay) or maybe she didn't notice the sale until now. But she then contacted me about this using my personal email address - outside of eBay - asking if I could cancel and request a refund. By contacting me outside of eBay, at best she doesn't know how to cancel the order herself (but then why avoid contacting using eBay messages?). At worse she doesn't want eBay to know she wants to cancel the order, whether its to not put a strike against her account (with a feedback of around 30?) or to try a scam (I don't really think this is the case but by contacting me outside of eBay, my red flags are up).