eBay pet peeves! Post yours!

The more I list on Poshmark the more I dislike ebay.

I know Poshmark takes more cut of your sale but sometimes it’s worth it based on the hassles that I always go through for eBay. Can’t tell you how many relistings I’ve had over the past few weeks due to non paying buyers.

Once again I get a seller that hasn’t paid after a few days. I go to check their profile to send them another invoice and it’s a new account(2017) with no feedback, and based in Canada. I put no international shipping on my listings. So now I’m wondering if and when they pay, if it’s gonna be a hassle or more money to ship.

Poshmark-
-Buyer must pay immediately
-Shipping is already figured out, flat rate, label created for you.
-App is easy to use, quick and easy to list.
-Fees are already taken out of the item so you don’t get a bill.
-People can buy as they please, and you don’t need to “maintain”/relist

Ebay-
-Buyers pay whenever (for auctions) and sometimes they don’t pay until 3 days after the auction ends, even when you’ve been bugging them for days
-Figure out/input your own shipping method...pay for the shipping at the post office unless you print the label from home and pay online. Also I’m lazy/ don’t have a scale so it’s hard to tell how much my stuff would cost to ship, but I usually do flat rate
-Takes a while to list, too many details and specifics
-.30 per listing( i’m assuming I hit my listing limit but I’m not sure how considering I’ve only listed 40 things and they upgraded me to 80)
-You get a bill at the end of each month. I wish they would work like Poshmark does. I can’t stand that I usually drain my Paypal/ forget about how much I’ve listed/ profited and then I get hit with a $30 bill. It’s just not as fun.
-If listings don’t sell, you have to relist. You could have 10 people watching and think you’re going to sell it and then you don’t.

Just had to rant. Personally I think ebay is too saturated. Unless you’re looking for or selling something very specific, in which case as a buyer or a seller, it works better. Years ago I could sell stuff on eBay and make a huge profit. Now it’s like I can barely get $10 for some of my items. I think I’m kinda over ebay.

The more I list on Poshmark the more I dislike ebay.

I know Poshmark takes more cut of your sale but sometimes it’s worth it based on the hassles that I always go through for eBay. Can’t tell you how many relistings I’ve had over the past few weeks due to non paying buyers.

Once again I get a seller that hasn’t paid after a few days. I go to check their profile to send them another invoice and it’s a new account(2017) with no feedback, and based in Canada. I put no international shipping on my listings. So now I’m wondering if and when they pay, if it’s gonna be a hassle or more money to ship.

Poshmark-
-Buyer must pay immediately
-Shipping is already figured out, flat rate, label created for you.
-App is easy to use, quick and easy to list.
-Fees are already taken out of the item so you don’t get a bill.
-People can buy as they please, and you don’t need to “maintain”/relist

Ebay-
-Buyers pay whenever (for auctions) and sometimes they don’t pay until 3 days after the auction ends, even when you’ve been bugging them for days
-Figure out/input your own shipping method...pay for the shipping at the post office unless you print the label from home and pay online. Also I’m lazy/ don’t have a scale so it’s hard to tell how much my stuff would cost to ship, but I usually do flat rate
-Takes a while to list, too many details and specifics
-.30 per listing( i’m assuming I hit my listing limit but I’m not sure how considering I’ve only listed 40 things and they upgraded me to 80)
-You get a bill at the end of each month. I wish they would work like Poshmark does. I can’t stand that I usually drain my Paypal/ forget about how much I’ve listed/ profited and then I get hit with a $30 bill. It’s just not as fun.
-If listings don’t sell, you have to relist. You could have 10 people watching and think you’re going to sell it and then you don’t.

Just had to rant. Personally I think ebay is too saturated. Unless you’re looking for or selling something very specific, in which case as a buyer or a seller, it works better. Years ago I could sell stuff on eBay and make a huge profit. Now it’s like I can barely get $10 for some of my items. I think I’m kinda over ebay.
I've never sold on Poshmark and probably won't because of the social aspect of it. I don't want to get chatty with my buyers.

Some of the problems you have with ebay can be avoided. Most listings on ebay are now buy it now. If you set up your listings as buy it nows that require immediate payment, you won't have to worry about nonpaying buyers. You need to change your settings to block buyers from countries you don't ship to if you don't want to deal with international shipping. I never pay for listings on ebay. Once I use up the free listings, I don't list again until they give me more. I never drain my paypal. I always leave enough in there to cover any possible returns or disputes until at least 2 weeks has passed since delivery or I've received positive feedback. I don't have to leave money in paypal to cover ebay's fees because I use a credit card.

I bought a scale years ago and it was worth it. If you always use flat rate you could be paying more than you need to. Unless you are shipping across the country or your packages are over 3 pounds, it is almost always cheaper to ship by weight.

I've never sold on Poshmark and probably won't because of the social aspect of it. I don't want to get chatty with my buyers.

Some of the problems you have with ebay can be avoided. Most listings on ebay are now buy it now. If you set up your listings as buy it nows that require immediate payment, you won't have to worry about nonpaying buyers. You need to change your settings to block buyers from countries you don't ship to if you don't want to deal with international shipping. I never pay for listings on ebay. Once I use up the free listings, I don't list again until they give me more. I never drain my paypal. I always leave enough in there to cover any possible returns or disputes until at least 2 weeks has passed since delivery or I've received positive feedback. I don't have to leave money in paypal to cover ebay's fees because I use a credit card.

I bought a scale years ago and it was worth it. If you always use flat rate you could be paying more than you need to. Unless you are shipping across the country or your packages are over 3 pounds, it is almost always cheaper to ship by weight.

I get what you’re saying, a lot of people say that about Posh. TBH I don’t do a lot of “sharing” or following people and my sales are pretty decent. People comment on my listings but usually it’s asking the length of a shirt or sizing questions.

I just started doing buy it now on ebay, which I’ve never really done, so we’ll see how this goes. I’ve been doing auctions for years, so I thought I’d make the switch.

I don’t know, maybe it’s just me but I just dislike getting another notification for a bill, even if it automatically comes out, I always have to remember to keep money in there.

Reactions: Bunnie.863
Not a peeve but a comment about ebay's beta seller hub. I've been using this for months on one of my accounts and I like a few things about it, others not so much. One of the things I don't care for as much is that you can't view everything on the same page. There is an overview page that gives lots of information, including the dashboard and account summary, so in many ways, this is better. What I prefer about the old system is seeing all my listings, both active and unsold, plus sales, all on the same page. In the beta, they are all on different pages. One of the things I love about beta is that on my active listing page, it shows me how many total watchers I have for all my items, then I can click on the watcher number and see just the listings that have watchers. There is also a place that shows how many listings have questions. What I don't like is that this number doesn't go away when you answer the questions.

Reactions: Gblb
These are my requirements. They're at the tightest level.
View attachment 3879401

Although there's the -1 feedback score, I don't know why ebay hasn't removed that because it's been 9 years since buyers would have a negative feedback score. THe only way someone has a neg is if they're also a seller.

Lol ?.....i wondered how you could get -1 feedback! That explains it, they should update it then :amazed:

As expected my 0 feedback still hasn't paid since they purchased on Sunday. I've opened an unpaid item case now but I can't think it will make any difference

I really think we should be able to block 0 feedback............it's infuriating, this is the umpteenth time it's happened :cursing:

Lol ?.....i wondered how you could get -1 feedback! That explains it, they should update it then :amazed:

As expected my 0 feedback still hasn't paid since they purchased on Sunday. I've opened an unpaid item case now but I can't think it will make any difference

I really think we should be able to block 0 feedback............it's infuriating, this is the umpteenth time it's happened :cursing:
I accepted a best offer from a buyer for $12.50 - she didn't pay until I opened the unpaid item case. Totally ignored the invoice I sent. I might understand it a bit more if it was a substantial amount of money.

After my rant about ebay and a buyer not paying, I get another issue today. A buyer opening a case because they didn’t receive their item and demanding their money back. Funny thing is I knew from the start this would be an issue, they used a “forwarding” company and the address was super weird. Also I looked at the tracking and the item made it to the city- but after that it looks like it never went to the end destination. but it says
“Delivery status not updated”. Anyone know what it means? I’m dreading calling USPS and dealing with this issue. Ugh

I swear I’ve never had a single issue with delivery or payments on Posh.

Sellers, if a potential buyer contact you to really try to talk you into accepting a lower price, BLOCK them! I should have done this but I assumed the best of people. Now she found some flaws in my item and want a partial refund! I should have blocked her the first time. Lesson learned again!

After my rant about ebay and a buyer not paying, I get another issue today. A buyer opening a case because they didn’t receive their item and demanding their money back. Funny thing is I knew from the start this would be an issue, they used a “forwarding” company and the address was super weird. Also I looked at the tracking and the item made it to the city- but after that it looks like it never went to the end destination. but it says
“Delivery status not updated”. Anyone know what it means? I’m dreading calling USPS and dealing with this issue. Ugh

I swear I’ve never had a single issue with delivery or payments on Posh.

I have the same "delivery status not updated" message for one of my shipments as of Thursday, after it was "out for delivery" for the entire day. The eBay and Amazon boards suggest it's a lazy carrier who either never made the delivery scan, or their equipment failed. I plan to call my buyer's local PO once they open today to resolve this issue as the item is $600 and I can't afford an INR claim.

As painful as speaking to the USPS is, you will likely need to call the PO in your buyer's area and ask them for an update and if possible, to update the tracking. It's less painful than INR.

I have the same "delivery status not updated" message for one of my shipments as of Thursday, after it was "out for delivery" for the entire day. The eBay and Amazon boards suggest it's a lazy carrier who either never made the delivery scan, or their equipment failed. I plan to call my buyer's local PO once they open today to resolve this issue as the item is $600 and I can't afford an INR claim.

As painful as speaking to the USPS is, you will likely need to call the PO in your buyer's area and ask them for an update and if possible, to update the tracking. It's less painful than INR.

Hey I googled this issue as well, it ended up resolving itself, funny enough the day after the buyer opened a case. When he opened the case, I sent a message back including the tracking number(which he already had) and told him he’s not getting a refund this easily. At that point it said “delivery status not updated”. Even though should have been delivered 6 days prior. Then the next day it changed to “delivered”. So I’m wondering if it’s a coincidence and the system updated or if the buyer called the post office. So I wouldn’t fret just yet, it might resolve itself. Also the buyer never responded again, but the case is still open and they are holding my money

Reactions: Black Elite
Hey I googled this issue as well, it ended up resolving itself, funny enough the day after the buyer opened a case. When he opened the case, I sent a message back including the tracking number(which he already had) and told him he’s not getting a refund this easily. At that point it said “delivery status not updated”. Even though should have been delivered 6 days prior. Then the next day it changed to “delivered”. So I’m wondering if it’s a coincidence and the system updated or if the buyer called the post office. So I wouldn’t fret just yet, it might resolve itself. Also the buyer never responded again, but the case is still open and they are holding my money
Good news! Mine updated as well, but only after I called the local PO. Perhaps you can call eBay and have them close the case in your favor now that there is proof of delivery?

Ebay-
I've only bought, never sold. Could I just ask about this comment you made? I normally assume that I have 2 to 3 days after the auction closes to make payment, unless the seller has stated otherwise. So for your sales, you specified immediate payment?

I've only bought, never sold. Could I just ask about this comment you made? I normally assume that I have 2 to 3 days after the auction closes to make payment, unless the seller has stated otherwise. So for your sales, you specified immediate payment?
You do have time to pay, and the seller can't specify immediate payment on an auction. Sellers don't know what is going through the minds of the buyers, and don't know why the buyer hasn't paid immediately. It is disheartening to wait days without hearing anything from the buyer and not knowing if they are going to pay. After all, the seller can't relist and can't make a second chance offer to another bidder until she knows that the first buyer is backing out. She has to wait even longer for the unpaid buyer case to close. By that time the other bidders have moved on.

Even when a buyer has a track record of paying, that is still no assurance that she will continue to pay. This happened to me once with a buyer I had sold to before. She just ignored all my messages and the unpaid item case was closed without payment.

If you would like to set your seller's mind at ease, you could message them after a purchase to tell them when to expect your payment.

Reactions: Storm702
You do have time to pay, and the seller can't specify immediate payment on an auction. Sellers don't know what is going through the minds of the buyers, and don't know why the buyer hasn't paid immediately. It is disheartening to wait days without hearing anything from the buyer and not knowing if they are going to pay. After all, the seller can't relist and can't make a second chance offer to another bidder until she knows that the first buyer is backing out. She has to wait even longer for the unpaid buyer case to close. By that time the other bidders have moved on.

Even when a buyer has a track record of paying, that is still no assurance that she will continue to pay. This happened to me once with a buyer I had sold to before. She just ignored all my messages and the unpaid item case was closed without payment.

If you would like to set your seller's mind at ease, you could message them after a purchase to tell them when to expect your payment.
Thank you for giving the seller's point of view. I was curious because jorton's comment implied that payment was repeatedly requested within the 3 days after auction closed. I get eBay payment reminders but I have not encountered a seller actively chasing for payment so soon. Of course that might be because I'm a Goody-two-shoes who will contact the seller if I take more than 2 days to clear payment.

Reactions: whateve