eBay: I'm the Winning Bidder, But Seller No Longer Wants to Sell Bag

I am so sorry this is happening to you.

How did you pay for the auction through paypal? Credit card or bank account? If you did it via credit card, you will also have recourse that way.

On two bags that I had problems with, I reported them ASAP to paypal. I was able to be refunded the amount that I had paid. I'll tell you though, Paypal says it may take 30 days...and they drag it out for the 30 days.

If you file a claim with your cc, they can put the funds you need to pay them for on hold, until they can figure it out.

Good luck!

Superbaby said:
Well, the seller is lying when he told you that he cannot refund you the money unless he has 'enough' funds?
All he has to do is to click on "refund" and paypal will do a chargeback on his bank account (the bank account he transfered the money to)
He is just stalling for time.

Not everyone links their Paypal account to a bank account. Some people deliberately keep their Paypal accounts empty between transactions so Paypal can't freeze their funds. Shady sellers will do this in an effort to prevent buyers from getting their money back.

In all your correspondences, it sounds like you have been more than fair. The seller by policy does have to honor a completed sale, of course there really is nothing to stop someone from returning money for any number of reasons, including remorse or simply wanting to list it for more money. It's too bad that it had to go down like this. :sad:

Okay. I've looked at this seller's auctions. Past and present. I've also looked at the items this seller has bid on in the past. There is no male involved here. Everything this person has bid on or sold is for a female. It makes sense that if a male would have been the one selling this bag for his sister, then a majority of the things he has sold and purchased under this user id would be for a male - not a female. This is not the case. Even the hand in the photos looks like the hand of a female.

It's my opinion that this is a clear case of seller's remorse. For whatever reason, she regrets selling the bag to you and now she has made up a a story (and not even a GOOD story) to get out of the sale. Plus, she has spent your money and can not refund you.

If I were you, I wouldn't waste another minute on this. Do a chargeback thru PayPal and get your money back. I know this totally sucks because you want the bag but another one will come along. This person is playing games with you. Don't let HER waste any more of your time.

It's so awful when a seller completely disregards how emotional some purchases can be. I feel for you, angstofgumby!

If you are unable to get the bag, I hope you still follow through and ensure the seller is held accountable for what he/she/it has done. I don't mean this in a vengeful way--I just believe you must stick up for yourself!!! If you paid with a credit card via Paypal, contact the credit card company, as they can be very helpful.

I'm just so sorry this happened to you!

Thanks again for all of your support. You gals are terrific and I really appreciate it.

I am getting ready to head over to PayPal to file a report. I will also be filing with eBay this afternoon. I can't believe how much of a mess this has become. In all of my eBaying (I have completed over 200 transactions, all of them positive experiences), I have never encountered something like the situation I find myself in now.

Unfortunately I paid through my bank account. Thankfully funds aren't a problem for me right now, so I'm not going to go hungry if I don't get the money back right away. That's beside the point though, because on principle, either the money should have been returned to me ASAP, or the bag should have been shipped out to me by now. The seller has no idea whether or not I have been saving up for a long time for a special purchase, possibly overextending myself for that one item that I've been searching for. I could be in a tough situation financially, but I doubt the seller would care one bit if that was the case.

I have stayed pretty level headed throughout all of this, but I'm really starting to lose my patience. The seller first contacted me on Friday afternoon with the news that he was not going to be able to ship me the bag, and here we are on Sunday afternoon and still no money in my PayPal account.

This morning I woke up to another e-mail from him. He said he was "sorry" and he suggested that I bid on the indigo hobo that is now up for sale on eBay. What an *ss! I e-mailed him back and I told him that I was afraid "sorry" didn't cut it at the moment because not only does he have a bag that is mine, he also has over $1100.00 of my money. He can have one or the other, but not both. I also told him that I was a serious bag collector and that I was only interested in the indigo first; I'm not willing to settle on a style just to get the color. I then suggested that his "sister" bid on the indigo hobo and that way he could send me the indigo first that I won and paid for. I concluded by saying that although I did not want to have to do so, I would have no choice but to go directly to both PayPal and eBay to report him immediately.

I agree completely that there is no "guy" involved here. I even said so much to him in one of the e-mails that I sent him. On Friday night I went back to get a second look at the listing, and it was clear when I re-examined it that there was some tomfoolery going on. I also checked his current and prior listings at that time. Like print*model said, all of the listings are written in the first person (I mentioned this in my e-mail), and the hand in the photographs is, no question about it, the hand of a female. I think this is, plain and simple, seller's remorse. And the story is an AWFUL one. If the seller was going to lie, he/she should have just told me that there was an accident with the bag and unfortunately it had been damaged and the quality was compromised in the process. The sister bullsh*t is just plain weak. I'm off to PayPal and eBay now to file. What a total waste of my time. I sincerely hope this NEVER happens to anyone else here!

ETA: If anyone is looking for an indigo hobo, here's the link: http://cgi.ebay.com/1000-Authentic-...861332547QQcategoryZ63852QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I'm back with another update.

This morning after I sent the seller an e-mail stating that I would be going to PayPal and eBay to file complaints immediately, and after I posted here, I went out to get my morning paper and coffee. When I got back to my apartment I logged on to eBay and I proceeded to file a complaint, detailing the entire situation in full. It took me some time to write the complaint as I wanted to make sure that I covered, in full, all of the events that occured since I paid for the bag on Wednesday.

After I finished filing my complaint with eBay, I headed over to PayPal. As I was in the process of filing a report with them, an e-mail from PayPal showed up in my inbox. Apparently my e-mail to the seller this morning scared him a bit. This morning was the first time that I mentioned reporting him to PayPal; I had mentioned filing with eBay before, but not with PayPal. It appears as if the mention of PayPal may have lit a little fire under his *ss as he had showed no concern for getting my money back to me quickly previously. In all of my e-mails with him he only mentioned payment once. And his mention of payment that one time was to say that he didn't have any funds available, therefore he would not be able to get my money back to me at the current time.

I had been calm but firm with him in my earlier e-mails (and perhaps too nice and patient, even though he had the gall to tell me that I was not being "kind-hearted"), but this morning I was more trite. Essentially I laid down the law and told him that I either wanted a firm commitment on the shipping of the bag or I wanted my money back ASAP.

Unfortunately I am afraid the story is not over yet. The funds are in my PayPal account but I do not have access to them; there has been a temporary hold placed on them. I can live with that, as long as they are eventually released (which I imagine they will be), BUT, there is a problem with the amount of funds that were sent to me. The seller is in the United Kingdom. I guess the conversion rate has changed since Wednesday, and right now I am showing a loss of $50.06 for the bag. I e-mailed the seller again and I told him that I expect to receive the amount that I paid for the bag back in full. I hope he isn't expecting me to take a hit since the conversion rate has changed.

So, now I have to get to work on the negative feedback that I will be leaving for him. I'm just hoping that he won't do the same in return. I will gladly accept any suggestions for feedback that I should leave for him. It's too bad I only have 80 characters to work with. Thanks again, gals.

like I said before, you need to file a dispute through paypal regardless for item not received. that way they will open a dispute claim and you will have the transaction reversed and get your full money back. forget about ebay, they don't care and you're wasting your time.

Oh Gumby, this just seems like a long road of pain !! I agree that the 80 character limit just isn't enough sometimes to encompass everything you have to say, don't forget you get an extra 80 lines to "respond" to comments as well.