eBay, etc. General Question/Answer Thread

So, just received the email SHOP OUR PURSEBLOG x EBAY PICKS NOW! from Megs about their new practice of endorsing particular ebay sellers (currently two). Wondering whether anyone else in the forum has read through this email and clicked on the links to examine their recommended sellers? I have and am NOT pleased with this obvious conflict of interest!
Response to to Megs & Vlad: You are compromising your independence and credibility as "neutral" authorities on purses by endorsing a couple of relatively new sellers on Ebay, one of whom doesn't accept any returns and both of whom do NOT provide adequate photos for proper authentication. IF TPF members presented the scanty pics & descriptions these two sellers provide, the authenticators would tell them to ask for more PICS and more info. You have sold out! The two ebay members are: la_via, a member only since March 2017 and who sells a wide variety of products (including Puma polo shirts!) and has 135 NEGATIVE fbs, and the_luxury_club, an Ebay seller since only June 2017. Really? No thanks!

I'm glad you brought this up. I am curious as to what makes these sellers special. I'm seeing negatives that specifically suggest fakes.

Here is the link to Megs' September 7 Purseblog post (not the eBay page):
https://www.purseblog.com/exclusive/purseblog-picks-for-ebay/

Reactions: 921810chris
How can this be?

The seller has only been a member for 5 months, has 38 feedback and 93.2% feedback score yet is TRS?!?!

https://feedback.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBay...k2&userid=next-innovation-uk&ftab=AllFeedback

s.gif

next-innovation-uk ( 38) This member is an eBay Top-rated seller

iconGreenTick_10x10.gif
Consistently receives highest buyer ratings (My comment: in just 5 months since joining, seller has received 3 negs and a neutral)
iconGreenTick_10x10.gif
Dispatches items quickly (My comment: shipping speed is 4.8)
iconGreenTick_10x10.gif
Has earned a track record of excellent service (My comment: with 93% feedback?)
Learn more

Has ebay changed the requirements? In the "olden days," sellers had to have 100+ feedbacks as a seller and high feedback score indicating happy buyers.

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/selling/seller-levels-performance-standards?id=4080&st=3&pos=1&query=Seller levels and performance standards&context=DEFAULT_SELLER#top-rated-seller
To become a Top Rated Seller, you'll need to:
  • Have an eBay account that's been active for at least 90 days
  • Have at least 100 transactions and $1,000 in sales with US buyers over the past 12 months
  • Comply with eBay's selling practices policy
  • Meet the requirements for transaction defect rate, cases closed without seller resolution and late shipment rate. You'll find the requirements in the table below

How can this be?

The seller has only been a member for 5 months, has 38 feedback and 93.2% feedback score yet is TRS?!?!

https://feedback.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBay...k2&userid=next-innovation-uk&ftab=AllFeedback

s.gif

next-innovation-uk ( 38) This member is an eBay Top-rated seller

iconGreenTick_10x10.gif
Consistently receives highest buyer ratings (My comment: in just 5 months since joining, seller has received 3 negs and a neutral)
iconGreenTick_10x10.gif
Dispatches items quickly (My comment: shipping speed is 4.8)
iconGreenTick_10x10.gif
Has earned a track record of excellent service (My comment: with 93% feedback?)
Learn more

Has ebay changed the requirements? In the "olden days," sellers had to have 100+ feedbacks as a seller and high feedback score indicating happy buyers.

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/selling/seller-levels-performance-standards?id=4080&st=3&pos=1&query=Seller levels and performance standards&context=DEFAULT_SELLER#top-rated-seller
To become a Top Rated Seller, you'll need to:
  • Have an eBay account that's been active for at least 90 days
  • Have at least 100 transactions and $1,000 in sales with US buyers over the past 12 months
  • Comply with eBay's selling practices policy
  • Meet the requirements for transaction defect rate, cases closed without seller resolution and late shipment rate. You'll find the requirements in the table below
I don't think they have changed the requirements. I keep falling off because I fall below 100 transactions, since I have two accounts.

Reactions: carlpsmom
YIKES, indeed, My reaction as well! WHAT are Megs & Vlad THINKING?? IF this is how they want to affiliate themselves, then I will def consider not participating in tPf for anything other than background reference research. This is a PR nightmare for any company, as it besmirches the reputations of the authenticators here who try to hard to help and do it for free! Megs & Vlad need to address this quickly and publicly!!!

@Vlad @Megs

Y'all are being hailed by a few folks here.

The sponsorship campaign with eBay we ran on PurseBlog is an effort to showcase their new authenticity guarantee and new item store that was recently opened. I can't speak on the seller that curates the product, we have no information in that regard. We aren't endorsing a particular seller, we're aiming to showcase eBay's authenticity guarantee.

I see that the 150+ negative feedback in the last 12 months was brought up as an issue, and while I can respect that this is a red flag for you, I also see 15,000+ positives in the same time frame.

At the end of the day, it's another venue to purchase new, authentic product that is backed by eBay's guarantee. If any of you consider this a bad move on our part, I can't disagree with you, as you're very well entitled to your feelings on this.

This being said, we'll look into this further and may reconsider partnering with eBay in the future if it turns out that it's not a good fit. Thanks all!

Last edited:
Reactions: tannfran
The sponsorship campaign with eBay we ran on PurseBlog is an effort to showcase their new authenticity guarantee and new item store that was recently opened. I can't speak on the seller that curates the product, we have no information in that regard. We aren't endorsing a particular seller, we're aiming to showcase eBay's authenticity guarantee.

I see that the 150+ negative feedback in the last 12 months was brought up as an issue, and while I can respect that this is a red flag for you, I also see 15,000+ positives in the same time frame.

At the end of the day, it's another venue to purchase new, authentic product that is backed by eBay's guarantee. If any of you consider this a bad move on our part, I can't disagree with you, as you're very well entitled to your feelings on this.

This being said, we'll look into this further and may reconsider partnering with eBay in the future if it turns out that it's not a good fit. Thanks all!
I hope you understand that all items from all sellers on ebay are covered by ebay's money back guarantee. There is a good chance that buyers will misunderstand and believe that everything from these particular sellers is somehow absolutely authentic and that they don't need to get their items authenticated if they buy from these sellers. That is far from the truth. There are members of tpf selling on ebay that are more trustworthy than these random sellers, who don't even have a relatively long track record.

Every iteration of their 'authenticity programs' over time has been grossly flawed. Some of the sellers involved have been caught knowingly selling counterfeits. Some were known to claim they never received items sent to them. In some cases there have been claims they switched items and sent counterfeits back to the person that sent a genuine item.

There is nothing to be trusted in any of their programs.

The issue is that Megs said she HAD thoroughly researched this particular program as a venue that might enhance TPF's reputation by helping potential buyers make more-informed choices as well as help relieve them of the concern about receiving fake purses. You both should have known which sellers would fall under this Ebay program's umbrella, but clearly you did not. Ergo, that "research" clearly was inadequate. If you actually review the negative feedback for this seller, they include selling FAKE high-end designer purses and shoes as well as selling items whose condition is no where near the condition promised. Also, the lack of adequate photos for authentication purposes as well as skimpy item descriptions should have been a definite red flag. That authentication process is part and parcel of the purpose of TPF. My "feelings" aren't the issue here, Vlad; your reputation is.

FB is not an effective way of evaluation a seller or program prior to endorsement. No one knows how many bad FB may have been removed, or never left to begin wuth.

Researching a seller or program like this would involve multiple transactions as both a buyer and seller to evaluate their product and performance firsthand.

Vlad and I always take any feedback we receive from our members/readers seriously. I am sure you can imagine we have tons of advertisers that reach out, and majority we decide are not a good fit. But that doesn't mean every advertiser that we work with will be liked by everyone, BUT again, it is something I do take into consideration if there's something I'm missing.

There are two different posts we worked with eBay on: 1) To share information about eBay Authenticate 2) A PurseBlog x eBay Picks Page. They are not the same, do not involve the same sellers, and while one was educational about a new program eBay offers, the other was a curated page of bags from eBay sellers.

I've read the comments in this thread and they matter a lot to us. Being a handbag focused site, we work with a range of companies - like Neiman Marcus and Nordstrom or brands directly or we work with reseller platforms, which as you all know are a huge part of handbag transactions. I'm not sure that there's been a time where every seller and bag on any reseller platform has gotten the thumbs up.

Contrary to comments made, our reputation is really important to us and that is why we do spend a lot of time with a lot of back and forth conversations with any partner we may work with. I'm looking into the comments and concerns you all have shared, and will talk to the eBay team about it as well.