E-ring setting

Megs, I don't know!:cry:
I'd guess his basic setting like that is about $1k-$1200{?}
It's only about $600 ish other places but he's ultra custom. . . it could be more:shrugs: maybe someone here knows?

I don't know either! Vlad and I were curious. Where could we find his settings? We like one Hearts on Fire setting VERY much and it is about $1500, but just plain platinum, I just LOVE the setting! So I am very interested in Mege too :yes:

I don't know either! Vlad and I were curious. Where could we find his settings? We like one Hearts on Fire setting VERY much and it is about $1500, but just plain platinum, I just LOVE the setting! So I am very interested in Mege too :yes:

Hi, just a quick jump in - I met with Leon Mege in NYC last week, he is setting a 3 stone ring for me. On his website, www.artofplatinum.com, he has a TON of pics of rings he has done (:drool:), and a quote form you can submit electronically to him - I referenced a style I had seen that I liked on his site, I got a quote from him via email the same week. That might give you a ballpark idea, at least :smile: . . . oh, the eye candy that man has produced!

Swanky.. I noticed your diamond is umm.. floated? not sure what you call it but it sits up off the bottom of the setting. I see this a lot in rings now at jeweler stores. Is it a new trend? Actually the ones i see sit even higher then yours and it seems like it would be in the way.. kinda like a diamond floating on your hand with golden claws =)

hmm, I haven't noticed others. . . .
I actually don't prefer my prongs nearly this high or substantial/thick. But I DO love to see the point of the culet "floating" underneath so I haven't had the prongs shortened yet.:love:
I consider my tiffany setting temporary.

hmm, I haven't noticed others. . . .
I actually don't prefer my prongs nearly this high or substantial/thick. But I DO love to see the point of the culet "floating" underneath so I haven't had the prongs shortened yet.:love:
I consider my tiffany setting temporary.
Swanky~You could have the prongs made thinner and lower the diamond so the culet is just visible above the base of the head. That might give you just enough of a change. Have you decided on the Leon that you posted? There are some really nice HOF settings, but we refer to them as WOF [wallets on fire] for a reason:graucho: Still, I'm glad I went with HOF for my setting. Just let me know when you want more suggestions for a setting. Google is my middle name!

Swanky, I love the Leon that you posted! It's very pretty and flaunts the culet too!

My jeweler is one of those people who thinks that we shouldn't surround a diamond with a bezel because it blocks the light from entering at the side. I don't know how true this is.....

Depends on a lot of factors like color of the stone, color of the prongs, size of the prongs etc.

A 4 prong setting does give more space to flaunt your diamond as compared to a 6 prong setting but if the prongs are of white gold or platinum, the metal's icy tone compliments the diamond's brilliance.

If the prongs are not over sized and are proportionate to the ring, a six prong setting would enhance the size and the brilliance of the stone.

On the other hand, in case of colored gemstones, a 4 prong setting allows the stone to flaunt color on the play of light.

Depends on a lot of factors like color of the stone, color of the prongs, size of the prongs etc.

A 4 prong setting does give more space to flaunt your diamond as compared to a 6 prong setting but if the prongs are of white gold or platinum, the metal's icy tone compliments the diamond's brilliance.

If the prongs are not over sized and are proportionate to the ring, a six prong setting would enhance the size and the brilliance of the stone.

On the other hand, in case of colored gemstones, a 4 prong setting allows the stone to flaunt color on the play of light.

Never knew that.. Thanks.. I will remember a 6 prong to enhance the brilliance.

I think that's subjective. . .
light reflects from the top, not underneath, a bezel wouldn't inhibit a stone's brilliance.
I don't agree really w/ the 4 vs 6 prongs. . .

Here is a photo of my 6 prong.

P2181711.jpg

I think that's subjective. . .
light reflects from the top, not underneath, a bezel wouldn't inhibit a stone's brilliance.
I don't agree really w/ the 4 vs 6 prongs. . .

In a prong setting prongs raise the diamond up off of the finger and into the air, allowing the maximum amount of light to reach the diamond. Allowing light to shine up through the cutlet of the diamond (bottom portion, pointed tip of the diamond) through the diamond and out the top (table, flat top of the diamond) will allow the diamond the maximum brilliance and scintillation. Whereas in a bezel setting the stone is encircled by the metal that obstructs the free flow of light.

This does not suggest that bezel-set diamonds do not exhibit fire or brilliance. The difference is just a fraction, but jewelry designers and diamond experts keep studying the dynamics of light and reflective / refractive properties to enhance the beauty of a diamond.

i think a beautiful stone would look gorgeous on either a 4 or 6 prong. personal choice. but i do agree that a 6 prong may overwhelm a smaller stone. with that said, i prefer a 4 prong and love a double prong claw (on larger stones though).

btw beljwl your ring is gorgeous!