Dyeing vachetta , anyone do that or buy one "restored" ?

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Save 25% off all Jeans at Nordstrom. Sale ends Sunday at noon EST. Click or tap to shop the sale!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. #1 Jun 21, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2016
    I've been seeing a lot of older and vintage bags being brought back to life lately.,creative people are painting or dying the vachetta to give the bag a facelift we'll say. I prefer the look as opposed to those who carry bags with huge water stains, filthy looking handles ( speedy ), or just really dark dingey trim . Has anyone attempted to do this or bought a bag that was restored? I'd love to see your pics, I tried searching on the forums but nothing came up.

2. I saw 2 almas recently that were painted over on the bay. One was a monogram classic painted burgundy on the trim and the other was a multicolor with white painted trim. I prefer the dingy and water stained trims, I think it makes the bags have "character" so to speak but still think it's a cool look to personalize a bag your own way. If you search this forum, someone also made their own monogram macassar keep all which I thought was kind of neat. I couldn't quite find the pictures of the bags in the listing though, sorry :sad: I guarantee, you will bump into something here and there that was modified

Here's a link I found on here about dying a PDV:

http://forum.purseblog.com/threads/anyone-ever-try-to-dye-vachetta.919466/

And a youtube video:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DVxFi8hyYSFk&ved=0ahUKEwiTob_Lh7rNAhURID4KHSN_CKwQtwIIHjAB&usg=AFQjCNEKG9bLPe_Zwqz3MmjuTs-o0c2Csg&sig2=-b4_9URMySTXPIsSznPvdw

3. I don't have any experience but there's a youtuber who does this and she has a Facebook group. She seems to do it for her personal bags and for clients. I think her YouTube name is Little Mammas House. They look amazing.

MamaSleepy likes this.
  4. YES, I seen one of her videos…thanks
    this is what I mean, the vachetta has been restored with black dye, and looks so much better than 20 years of dirt , wear and tear. I think I will go ahead and buy a noe that I have my eye on. ;)

Attached Files:

5. That bag looks great! If you buy a bag and have her work on it for you please keep us posted!

6. In most cases, the DIY paint/dye jobs look super ghetto to me. Several TPFers have posted their work and, in general, I am not a fan. Maybe I am too much of a purist to appreciate the "reinvented" bags? I guess if I knew nothing about Louis Vuitton, I might find them as appealing as other bags? :frown:

However, I agree with you that dirty/heavily stained bags should be retired. Too many of them out there! At some point, one's got to let go! :lol:

If you decide to paint/dye your vintage bag, share pics with us! Although it's not my cup of tea, I think a lot of ladies are interested in this newer trend!

ChicaPZ, prepster and ccbaggirl89 like this.

7. Guess I'm a purist, too - I don't like the dyed vachetta bags -- most look fake to me.....

prepster likes this.
  8. I guess I don't understand the issue between LV offering dyed leather (like the alma bnb or retiro) vs a really good dye job to restore a bag. The concept is the same to me, but I'm not an LV expert. I only have a couple LV bags.

9. +2 not my cup of tea either. it just takes away the originality and integrity of the piece.

prepster likes this.
  10. #10 Jun 21, 2016
    Well I don't see anything " ghetto" about this beautiful Noe. Maybe because it's black dye, and looks even in color, it looks rich and the added tassels make it a little nicer than the " normal" Noe , in my opinion. I decided to spend the $300 ish and get this for a travel bag. The interior is super clean , the canvas is mint, and now the vachetta looks pretty trendy for a vintage bag ! I never loved the Noe because of all that vachetta on the bottom and then the trim around the opening gets dirty looking problem solved! I also find it weird seeing mono bags with black clothing, now, problem solved !
    I think I'm going to love it!

ImageUploadedByPurseForum1466551583.916429.jpg ImageUploadedByPurseForum1466551605.457865.jpg ImageUploadedByPurseForum1466551618.513976.jpg ImageUploadedByPurseForum1466551632.954912.jpg

She did such a great job I'm willing to bet people will say " is that a new style bag "?

Attached Files:

11. #11 Jun 21, 2016
  12. It looks good but the most changes I do to my purse is mix and match straps! Ur purse looks like the noir/mono styles now.

13. You're right... looks kind of like this bag however I like the look of my custom Noe even better!! ImageUploadedByPurseForum1466592687.878239.jpg

14. RIGHT??

Stephanieg218 likes this.