Durability of woven hobos

The first BV I fondled IRL (just like Boxermom's avatar!) had fraying and possibly some curling on the bottom, but it was in a display with VERY hot lights both above and underlit so I figured the poor baby had dried out. I would never buy one that had been on display like that.

I bet a few stray weaves are prone to fray on random BVs, but I'd also want to keep it moisturized if I lived in a dry climate!

BVs in general are durable. However, leather does NOT always do well under humidity. trust me, it has ruined plenty of chanel lambskin purse - mold started growing on it!!!! but of course, this was under extreme humidity (the tropical kind!)

Can you tell me those of you who own the wovens...does the weaving ever curl? You know like each side curl up? I hope you know what I mean.

When it is new...it is flat and nice...does it curl with age?

FWIW, my mother -- who doesn't baby her bags at all -- has been using her ball bag daily for the past 4 months, and so far:
  • the little rolled edges at the bottom corners of the bag have worn through the top layer of leather so it looks like suede.
  • there are a couple of strips that are curled/frayed on one edge. We think this is b/c it's rubbing against her side and snagging the edge of the strip.
  • there are no snags of any strip.
I don't know if you know this (I certainly didn't until I visited the BV store), but the weave isn't just a bunch of separate strips woven together.* Each panel/side of the bag consists of (a) 1 solid piece of leather with a bunch of slits cut into it and (b) a bunch of strips of leather woven into that solid piece in a single direction. The solid piece makes the bag much sturdier than a normal woven bag. So if anything is going to curl/fray, it's more likely to be the individual strips rather than the bits of the solid piece.

HTH!

*Sorry if I'm stating common knowledge here!

but the weave isn't just a bunch of separate strips woven together.* Each panel/side of the bag consists of (a) 1 solid piece of leather strips of leather woven into that solid piece in a single direction. The solid piece makes the bag much sturdier than a normal woven bag. So if anything is going to curl/fray, it's more likely to be the individual strips rather than the bits of the solid piece.

HTH!

*Sorry if I'm stating common knowledge here!

That's good to know! :yes: thanks for sharing!

the weave isn't just a bunch of separate strips woven together.* Each panel/side of the bag consists of (a) 1 solid piece of leather with a bunch of slits cut into it and (b) a bunch of strips of leather woven into that solid piece in a single direction.

Yes, that is true for most of BV's woven bags. The exception is the limited edition Cabat bag which is double faced woven. It is literally individual strips hand woven together. Apparently there are only 2 artisans in BV Italy that have the skills to do so.