Durability of woven hobos

IntlSet

Bonjour!
Jan 29, 2006
Hi ladies,

I totally apologize if this has been asked, but I didn't see a similiar thread... is the woven hobo (I'm thinking of getting the large in brown) delicate? I need an everyday bag I can throw around. Almost all my other bags are Chanel caviar leather bags, which are very durable.

Do you need to baby the BV woven hobo?

Thanks very much!

You don't have to "baby" it, just ordinary care is fine. I have one that's about 3 yrs old and I don't take special care of it and it still looks fine. I'm guessing the caviar leather would wipe off easier, but the nappa woven leather wipes off, too. I haven't used Chanel caviar leather, so I can't give you an exact comparison.

I don't baby mine at all, and they're still looking great.:yes: I did spray mine and that gives me a little peace of mind. The weave has not frayed, etc. and I toss them around quite a bit. I am a little more gentle with my Ball bag, which is hazelnut (a light brown), and not so much so with my hobo that's in a dark Ebano chocolate color- as far as what I set them down on-because they don't have any protection on the bottom. They are quite durable, those BVs!

Cadillac spray- they sell it in the handbag dept. at Nordstroms...I checked with the S.F. BV store and they said it was fine too-I like it!
All_Weather_Shield_300.gif

Hopefully someone will post re: the snagging and fraying.

When I read old BV posts there was a pf'er that purchased a classic hobo - she said the bottom started to fray the first week she had it so she returned it to Saks... :sad:

I wonder if it was defective - or is that something that just happens?

My Campana is woven. I sprayed it with a waterproofing spray to protect it from wet carpets which are common in the snowy north country that I live it. I haven't had any problems with snagging or fraying of the weave. The weave lies pretty flat and I can't imagine it catching on anything so I don't worry about that.

Can you tell me those of you who own the wovens...does the weaving ever curl? You know like each side curl up? I hope you know what I mean.

When it is new...it is flat and nice...does it curl with age?

Can you tell me those of you who own the wovens...does the weaving ever curl? You know like each side curl up? I hope you know what I mean.

Hi Kelly- haven't seen you since I banned myself from the Hermes forum. The leather is so soft and supple that again, I can't imagine it drying up enough to curl. Boxermom has some vintage pieces and maybe some of the other members will chime in here. My biggest worry with the leather is dye loss or color fade. I haven't seen any yet thank goodness.

Bagpuss you are too sweet! Glad I have a friend here.

Sometimes you do need to escape Hermes because it can really suck you in.
I have a hidden love for BV and want to learn more. I never thought curling up would mean leather drying, but I see what you mean.

I just wondered because it is woven does it always remain the same in time? For some reason I could see the curling happen.

I hope someone chimes in.

beauxgoris...did you make your visit? Did you find anything out about the curling?

I always wondered about it ever since I saw the BV bags. It was the first thing that came to my mind. I would really love to know.

I have a woven hobo (that converts also to a messenger bag) for about 4 years now. There is no "curl" on the weaving and the leather is really quite durable. This bag has been everywhere in all leather and it's extremely durable. I was really surprised especially because the woven leather looks quite delicate.