Dooney and Bourke is becoming good again!

louislover260

Jan 16, 2008
I have been watching Dooney for a few years now and I really think that the recent design, materials, and quality is making a big come back! Lately we've been left with lots of strange (but fun) designs, but no outstanding classics. But the past few lines are great! The Portofino, Florentine Vachetta, Dillen and Dillen II the new Amato line and redesigned Alto bags are all fantastic.

I really think they are catching up to Coach, and who knows, if they keep it up they might surpass them soon.

Who else has noticed this?

I have been watching Dooney for a few years now and I really think that the recent design, materials, and quality is making a big come back! Lately we've been left with lots of strange (but fun) designs, but no outstanding classics. But the past few lines are great! The Portofino, Florentine Vachetta, Dillen and Dillen II the new Amato line and redesigned Alto bags are all fantastic.

I really think they are catching up to Coach, and who knows, if they keep it up they might surpass them soon.

Who else has noticed this?

LOL. I don't think you'll get a lot of positive replies to this question, because D&B is treated like the redhead stepchild around tPF. That having been said, I do have quite a few of the bags, and I've never kept that a secret; namely the big totes, because they're sturdy and can take lots of "abuse" (and because they're handy when I travel and take everything with me but the kitchen sink). There have been lines that I really liked, too--like Shiny Leather. I haven't looked at their site lately, maybe I should check it out and treat myself to a few.

Okay, I am more of a shoe gal than handbags, are more of just a fashionista in general, but I hate Coach (never owned one...never saw one I loved!) and I was gifted a Dooney wristlet last year, bought my first Dooney bag a month ago, and now have three. That said, they are all the coated canvas with leather trim, and they are not classics, just really cute prints, and no real monograms.

Can you tell me about the quality issues from earlier that you mentioned?

i never thought of them as Bad! started out with Coach,not that into Coach. My Dooney all weather leather bags never let me down! I would by a Dooney over Coach any day!

Dooney's were the "stuff" around here about 15 years ago, and then they seemed to go all cutesy on us.
I'll have to check them out again.

i have one made out of this nylon material and I use it when I'm out with my two small children because it can get dirty, it's roomy, and black and brown. that being said, some of their bags are a tad bit more sophisticated. and I ususally stay away from coach.

Dooney and Bourke have a nice line called Alto that is still made in Italy. My husband bought me a bag from this line last year and swears it is as well made as a Birkin! I think the bag is an incredible value for the price, plus the bag I got was on sale for about 40% off of the retail price so it was a real steal.

While I am not a huge fan of all Dooney and Bourke bags, I think they are great compared to Coach. Coach just isn't for me, as I find their bags to be more trendy than classic. I am also happy that Dooney and Bourke is still making at least some of their bags in Italy as opposed to Coach which is all made in China.

I love Dooney and Burke handbags and just recently bought the lg Nina in berry. I also just bought their full size umbrella and it has been amazing in this rain that we've been having in Calif. I buy what I like from LV to Dooney. I find their quality to be outstanding.

I recently bought a couple of dooney and bourke bags. One nylon editors tote for school (gift from my parents), Grabbed a small champtote at the outlet and then grabbed another bag at the dillards sale- ostrich small tote. I like the more traditional bags. But they have grown on me recently. They were my first love...then I moved on to coach, louis and balenciaga. But I'm still all about a good deal on a classic bag!!!

I recently was drawn back to dooney with the 1975 signature colette. I love that bag and receive a lot of compliments on it. Then I lucked out with a dillen priscilla at Macys for less than half price. I love the leather, love the quality.

I still like my coach bags but there are several outlets in my area and 2 boutiques and now I see EVERYONE carrying them. Several of my neighbors have them, every time I go out I usually spot coach bags, each party I've been to in the last year, a football game I attended.....I like that I don't see a saturation of Dooney in my area.

I've noticed that they've started reverting back to more classic designs, which I think is a good thing. I think they realized you won't get much mileage out of only selling cutesy bags that are more fit for teens than grown women. With the economy being as it is, people are going to be more picky with their purchases. They are not so likely to spend money on a trendy bag that they may only wear a couple of times. They are going to look for a bag that will go the distance and give them the most bang for their buck.

I bought my sister a BEAUTIFUL Dooney and Bourke big blue leather bag two years ago (she's a plain jane) and she absolutely loves it.
I never think they went "bad", just a little too cheesy for awhile.

Dooney and Bourke have a nice line called Alto that is still made in Italy. My husband bought me a bag from this line last year and swears it is as well made as a Birkin! I think the bag is an incredible value for the price, plus the bag I got was on sale for about 40% off of the retail price so it was a real steal.

While I am not a huge fan of all Dooney and Bourke bags, I think they are great compared to Coach. Coach just isn't for me, as I find their bags to be more trendy than classic. I am also happy that Dooney and Bourke is still making at least some of their bags in Italy as opposed to Coach which is all made in China.
Yes! I researched what you are talking about and can't deny, D&B is making an excellent product! They are using the same vachetta leather and the workmanship looks par excellence!! I'm going to try to find one. Thank you!