Don Imus just fired from CBS radio!

Frankly, I think that Sharpton is just excited at any opportunity to get his face on the TV or in the newspaper.
I think that is true of both Jackson and Sharpton. Both are a bit irrelevant.

Why does the mainstream media immediately turn to those two, when something like this happens? They should talk to credible people, such as the National Association of Black Journalists. I think it's time to move beyond Jackson and Sharpton.

The remark was despicable, but just as despicable are Sharpton and Jackson, "The reverends" and self nominated defenders of all minorities. Gosh, when are we going to get rid of them too!!!!!! Any time there is a sensitive matter, from Elian to the Rutgers team, they show up, supposedly representing some poor minority group that can't speak for themselves, bull...., they only represent themselves and what they can make out of these situations, those Rutgers' super intelligent girls who have spoken so eloquently should have the nerve to come up to the mike and state that neither of these opportunists speak for them. Lets retire these two characters and let the protagonists in these situations speak for themselves.

They are both a joke and their actions do nothing but continue to promote the idea that minorities have no voice in this country (by the way, I am a minority), when in reality minorities have a loud voice in this country.
Sharpton's record speaks for itself and Jackson is a joke!

Why does the mainstream media immediately turn to those two, when something like this happens? They should talk to credible people, such as the National Association of Black Journalists. I think it's time to move beyond Jackson and Sharpton.
Both Jackson and Sharpton are poverty pimps, ambulance chasers, and race mongerers/inciters.

But I blame their popularity on the media. While you suggest that the mainstream media should move on to other race commentators, I respectfully disagree. I think that the idea of a "black" or "minority" leader is harmful. These people have to speak like they represent everyone in the aforementioned group, when they most emphatically do not. It perpetuates the idea of race/ethnic essentiality, as one of its assumptions holds that all people of race/ethnicity believe the same, have the same priorities, agendas, etc.

I'm totally against the whole idea of collectives, in general, esp. race collectives. While people of the same ideology can often speak for each other, I believe people of the same skin color ought not to.

While I think that his remarks were inappropriate, the thing that I LOVE about America is that he has the freedom of speech and I have the freedom to turn the station.

well of course this is such a huge deal now, even though hes been saying it for the last 20 years...afterall this country does an amazing job at trying to distract the publics attention from whats really important. I am sorry..his crap....the father of ann nicole smiths baby and pet food recall just dosent do it for me.

Situations like this make me so mad. He shouldn't have been fired, as other Tv personalities, radio host, etc. of all races have said offensive things, and they aren't fired. There really is no justice or fairness anymore.

I'm till wondering what in the world he said!! I missed it on TV, and none of the news reporters are repeating it...Will SOMEBODY let me know what he said?

What he said should not be repeated. If you really want to know what he said you can google his name Don Imus or just 'Imus' and you will find out. The story is hot right now so you should have no problems finding out exactly what he stated.......

I wonder if CBS will also instruct all the radio stations it owns across the country to stop playing RAP MUSIC that has racially offensive lyrics?

I don't condone what Imus said but he's been doing this stuff for years. There are other radio guys that say way more offensive things than he did.

I wonder if CBS will also instruct all the radio stations it owns across the country to stop playing RAP MUSIC that has racially offensive lyrics?

I personally think that SOME rap music should be banned but that will NEVER happen.

There are some heavy metal songs/groups that have racially charged lyrics also. They should also be banned. Again, it will never happen.

It's very easy to just NOT listen to this type of music.:yes: I don't listen to either. Nor does anyone in our household.