Dog Adoption Home Visit

i suppose a mastiff would not be a very good choice for a townhouse? i know they're quite large, but i also read they don't need a ton of exercise and that daily walks are sufficient. i'm fully willing to exercise a dog, but i don't know if rescues will overlook the fact that i live in a townhouse...

I would only recommend an older Mastiff for a townhouse. Believe me, you do not a younger 150-200 lb. dog (with puppy energy) in your townhouse...I'm thinking of the saying "a bull in a china shop"....:biggrin:

^^ I think that would still be too young.

I agree that greyhounds are "lazy"! My friend has adopted several in the past 20 years, and they are for the most part happy to lounge around on the sofas, which had surprised me. I guess they're tired of their racing days, and just want to chill out now!

Stephcc005 - I didn't mean to imply I thought you'd go to a pet store - animal rescue and stopping puppy mills are a passion of mine, so I got on a rant. I know you're trying to do the right thing here, but the groups seem to be overly sensitive. I know that several brussels griffon rescue basically require people to be home almost all day. These dogs are velcro dogs, but this requirement can really limit who adopts them.

2 years old is still too young. It is unfortunate they have a shorter life span, but a 2 y/o dog will still have quite a bit of energy. I think if you're really thinking a Mastiff would be a good breed for you, look for one on the older end of the spectrum (like a calm 4 year old and up).

By the way, the reason Greyhounds are so lazy is because they're built to be sprinters. They can't last long distances and tire out once their race is done. It's a perfect dog for someone with a busy schedule since they're pretty much a cat in dog form.

^thanks ladies. i was thinking 2 would be too young, but i'm amazed at how much of a difference i've seen in my sister's pom compared to when he was around 6 months and now about a year later. he's pretty lazy and not even 2 yet :P

i don't know why but i've always been more interested in large breeds. even when i take those breed quizzes like the one on animal planet's website that tells you what kind of breed would be best for you, i always get the working dogs!

in the past i've considered (and/or dreamed of) leonbergers, mastiffs, newfs, GSDs (obviously), karakachan dogs, asian shepherds (my SO loves those), and huskies (and mini huskies).

Stephcc005 - I didn't mean to imply I thought you'd go to a pet store - animal rescue and stopping puppy mills are a passion of mine, so I got on a rant. I know you're trying to do the right thing here, but the groups seem to be overly sensitive. I know that several brussels griffon rescue basically require people to be home almost all day. These dogs are velcro dogs, but this requirement can really limit who adopts them.

oh yeah i completely understand. i've known a lot of people who get their dogs from pet stores, but it's not even something i'd consider even though i feel terrible for those animals. i think 1 of our neighbors actually got his border collie from a puppy mill type of situation...

:idea:

Another thought - direct approach to a breed rescue service, usually affiliated with the national breed club.
Eg.
http://www.ncarescue.org/pages/rescuemap.html

The person who helped us train Panda adopted both his Newfs from Newfoundland Rescue. On the website they say they're happy to place Newfs in smaller houses or apartments, and will assist with transition into the new home.
Newfs are quite often abandoned when they grow up, just because of their size :sad:

Last edited:
there was a story in our local paper awhile back about a family that owned 4-5 newfs :shocked: AND they had like 3-4 kids. (it was a good story, by the way)

ILuvShopping- that's exactly how i feel. i want these animals to go to good homes, but i feel like they need to be a bit more open minded and flexible. i was willing to take mixed breeds, purebreds, sick animals, senior dogs, basically anything! and my mom is able to stay with a dog all day since she's a SAHM. i've actually seen a lot of rescue pages say someone must be able to stay home all day with a dog, but i can see how impossible that can be for most households. i even saw a lovely GSD mix at another rescue but the rescue won't let you adopt unless you're over the age of 23. i'm 20...

sarahg- i've checked petfinder quite often- that's actually how i found this GSD rescue. unfortunately in this area, the place with the most GSDs is the rescue that rejected me. i was hoping they would be better capable of matching me up with a dog instead of slim pickings at other places that do not cater to that certain breed. i'll keep looking...

chuggie- i'm definitely not considering getting a dog from a pet store.

if anyone has any suggestions for alternative breeds, i'd really appreciate it. although i love my sister's pom, i'm really not looking to get a toy breed although i do live in a townhouse.

the attached picture is what the back of my house faces. sorry for the poor quality- it was taken from inside :P the field stretches out for about half a mile or maybe 3/4 of a mile. it's a decent size for playing and exercise IMO.

How about an English Black Lab like my Rocky in my avatar. He will be two years old on Feb 12th and is a total doll. Gets along with EVERYBODY even BABIES. I got him thru a professional breeder in PA. The labrador is actually the #1 choice in dog breeds in the USA.Very smart and easily trained dogs! He is currently around 90 lbs. And this breed is also very laid back and down to earth. Good luck in finding your new family member.

Holly