Dog Adoption Home Visit

Sorry to hear about the rejection of your application. You sound like you are very sincere in wanting a dog. I also think that someone who is willing to take an older dog should have a slightly looser set of standards. Keep looking - there are so many dogs that need a good home.

I've worked with several rescue groups and it is sad how many adopted dogs come back because the people didn't look after the dog. Consequently, I understand why some organization have such strict rules. Sometimes, though, the screens can feel really high.

Again, good luck in your search.

nope they never emailed me back...not even to say that they can't give me any information.

this whole experience has left a sour taste, so while some people get mad that not everyone chooses to adopt, i can fully understand why some people go through breeders.

i'll keep looking to adopt, but this process has been nothing short of unpleasant.

^^ exactly. i mean i know they mean well but when places are so picky i think it causes a HUGE issue and only pushes people towards breeders because it's easier.

i remember seeing a adoption page once where it said that in order to be able to adopt their dogs someone had to be able to stay at home with them practically all day. so basically they would only adopt to someone who had a spouse that doesn't work, works at home, or if you didn't work or worked at home.

I'm so sorry to hear that, and how rude of them to not even respond to your email.
I hope you don't swear off rescues forever - have you checked for German Shepards through Petfinder? Or even Craigslist? I'm sure both resources will have a dog that would be perfect for you.

Keep in mind that reputable breeders (those that care about the quality of the breed and not just trying to make money) are often tough screeners too. At the end of the day, please don't buy from a store or puppy mill - these poor animals are treated poorly, receive very little vet care, and aren't well socialized.

All that said, we had trouble once adopting a small breed dog because we had two dogs that were around 50lbs. Some agencies felt that little dogs couldn't hang out with big dogs. Our little dogs love our mellowed out big dogs.

ILuvShopping- that's exactly how i feel. i want these animals to go to good homes, but i feel like they need to be a bit more open minded and flexible. i was willing to take mixed breeds, purebreds, sick animals, senior dogs, basically anything! and my mom is able to stay with a dog all day since she's a SAHM. i've actually seen a lot of rescue pages say someone must be able to stay home all day with a dog, but i can see how impossible that can be for most households. i even saw a lovely GSD mix at another rescue but the rescue won't let you adopt unless you're over the age of 23. i'm 20...

sarahg- i've checked petfinder quite often- that's actually how i found this GSD rescue. unfortunately in this area, the place with the most GSDs is the rescue that rejected me. i was hoping they would be better capable of matching me up with a dog instead of slim pickings at other places that do not cater to that certain breed. i'll keep looking...

chuggie- i'm definitely not considering getting a dog from a pet store.

if anyone has any suggestions for alternative breeds, i'd really appreciate it. although i love my sister's pom, i'm really not looking to get a toy breed although i do live in a townhouse.

the attached picture is what the back of my house faces. sorry for the poor quality- it was taken from inside :P the field stretches out for about half a mile or maybe 3/4 of a mile. it's a decent size for playing and exercise IMO.

Attachments

• l_67a1be2246212d14a96750bbc852239e.jpg
    l_67a1be2246212d14a96750bbc852239e.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 232
stephc005 I really feel for you in this situation :sad:
I had a very hard time adopting a cat from an animal welfare group. When the cat I'd been trying to adopt for more than 8 weeks was put on the euthanasia list because she'd been with the welfare group for too long I finally threw a fit and got through to the owner of the facility... he apologised for his zealous younger staff who'd been prepared to end this cat's life rather than let us take her home! :nuts:
The staff rejected us repeatedly because we had a dog (Panda the Newf!) and two docile, older cats already.
Anyway, that was four years ago and Audrey the cat is a cherished member of the family... but it was one minute to midnight for her. Ugh - perish the thought :shucks:

Have you checked with vets in your area? I know where I live the vets keep photos and information in their clinics about pets that have be relinquished.
It's a more direct system that I'll use if I want to adopt in future. Good luck! I hope you get some good news soon.
The field at the back of your home looks awesome by the way :smile:

^^ exactly. i mean i know they mean well but when places are so picky i think it causes a HUGE issue and only pushes people towards breeders because it's easier.

i remember seeing a adoption page once where it said that in order to be able to adopt their dogs someone had to be able to stay at home with them practically all day. so basically they would only adopt to someone who had a spouse that doesn't work, works at home, or if you didn't work or worked at home.

Yes, when we adopted Maddie from a Golden Retriever shelter, they required someone home either all day...or with just a part time, 4 hour per day job. Luckily I work at home. We live in a townhome, but they didn't care that we did not have a fenced in yard.

I feel bad for you, I hope things work out...it's a shame some of the rescues make it so difficult to adopt...and so sad so many dogs need homes...when there is a loving home like your's available.

I wish you luck in finding your new dog! The field in back of your house looks awesome! Maddie would have loved a yard like that!! :smile:

I think if you're not too particular about a breed, check out your local rescue - hopefully they'd be much easier to work with than this German Shepard group.
Also, I know you mention you lived in a townhouse, but Greyhounds are able to live in smaller residences (despite their size) because they're such couch potatoes. There are so many ex-racing dogs looking for homes, and you would still be able to have a "big dog" :smile: An adoption might be considered with a lack of fence in your backyard, but as long as you always kept them leased, I don't see the big deal. Just another breed to consider.

Hope you're managing to keep your head up during all this, it's frustrating, but it will be worth it once you find your perfect dog.

I think if you're not too particular about a breed, check out your local rescue - hopefully they'd be much easier to work with than this German Shepard group.
Also, I know you mention you lived in a townhouse, but Greyhounds are able to live in smaller residences (despite their size) because they're such couch potatoes. There are so many ex-racing dogs looking for homes, and you would still be able to have a "big dog" :smile: An adoption might be considered with a lack of fence in your backyard, but as long as you always kept them leased, I don't see the big deal. Just another breed to consider.

Hope you're managing to keep your head up during all this, it's frustrating, but it will be worth it once you find your perfect dog.

ITA!

DH and I are considering greyhounds as part of our short list.

I've met many retired greyhounds and have been assured that they are good apartment dogs.

Every hound owner I've met and rescue person have assured me that they are 'couch potatoes.' I believe that. The greyhound rescue group had quietest dogs in the entire dog park!

In fact, we humans were making way more noise! They are considered big dogs but they are much more quiet than a lot of smaller breeds.

One of my friend's mom used to foster grey hounds and she reported that the ONLY time her hounds would get off their blanket was during dinner time. They also do not shed much, a definitely plus point for most people!

OP, I think that it's amazing that you are open to adopting different breeds of various ages. :smile:

thanks ladies for all the suggestions!

straight-laced- i didn't know that adopting a cat could be so difficult! thanks for the vet suggestion, i hadn't thought of that. my godfather's son is a vet and he's on the lookout for any abandoned/unwanted dogs that would be a good match for me, but i'll certainly try some other vets too.

sarahg- i'll have to look into greyhounds; i had no idea they're a lazy breed since they seem so athletic!

i suppose a mastiff would not be a very good choice for a townhouse? i know they're quite large, but i also read they don't need a ton of exercise and that daily walks are sufficient. i'm fully willing to exercise a dog, but i don't know if rescues will overlook the fact that i live in a townhouse...