Does your pet "know" things?

All your pet stories have warmed my heart LOL. It's just amazing how much we understimate the little signals that our pets see/hear or watch for in their little world. I used to be amazed by how perceptive they are, but then I figured, hey, they're all smart (even the birds, which I had no idea about!) and these bits and pieces form exceptionally happy or sad (ie. bathtime!) parts of their lives... they're bound to learn quickly!

i actualyl saw a show the other day that explained how dogs have evolved to recognize our signals...they tested a chimp and a dog...and the dog understood us better!!! it's because they have been used by humans for so long and our companions

I always joke that I know how to clear a room! I have , umm, well, quite a few dogs, and all I have to do is pick up the nail clippers, and suddenly the room is empty!:lol:

Out of our three dogs, my one Jack Russell, Peanut, is the most sensitive about things. When DH and I raise our voices at all she will go run under the bed because she doesn't like it. She won't come out until we tell her its okay and coax her out. If DH and I are play fighting she wants in on the action and starts barking and growling like she's playing too. She also knows that us putting on our shoes means we are leaving and she won't come for us to go in her kennel. She also knows when me or DH are feeling sad or sick and will cuddle close as long as we need her to.

I read in this month's issue of Dog Fancy magazine that dogs' have finely tuned internal clocks and instincts so it's not difficult at all for them to sense when their owner's are expected home from work or other timely routines.

It was a great article if anyone has a chance to read it.

my cat understands when i'm sad or when i'm happy..like on some days of the week I come back from Uni. really pissed off at the amount of work that is required of me the next day (because basically i'm stressed all the time lately ) and he knows to come to me and sit next to me and I usually start petting him and I forgot about all my stress...I usually feel tons better and lighter after i've spent a couple of minutes with him.

also sometimes my cat understands when i'm leaving the house, she usually runs between my feet alot ( like as to slow me down or maybe she's trying to trip...god i hope not ) but he looks up at me while i'm getting ready and tries to jump up on my leg to get my attention and when i look down he blinks several times and gives me the sad droopy eyes....it's so sweet..i just pet him to reassure him i'll be back. Lately i've been thinking about getting him some company like another cat but my cat is extremely anti-social..he hisses at my cousins/relatives/anyone really except for my sister, mom, and dad.

When I put on makeup my dog knows I'm getting ready to go. Same goes for shoes or putting on pants. She'll start freaking out.

When I go to leave the house I go, "Mama's going mean bye-bye. Give mommy bye-bye kiss." Normally she loves to kiss. She will kiss your whole face until it's sloppy wet. But when I'm leaving the house and try to kiss her she turns her head away!

As far as nakedness, I don't think she cares. I've even had sex with her in the bed and she just sleeps.

My dog knew when I was in trouble.

I was training a young horse and pushed her too far. She bucked me off and I was knocked unconscious. Woke up when my dog was licking my face and barking. He had jumped through the the car window (his favorite napping spot) and run up to the arena.

He then went and pestered every person until somebody came up to the arena to see what was wrong. It was late in the day and people were leaving for the night. If he hadn't been so loud, I would have been there all night.

Just had to put him to sleep last fall, his arthritis was uncontrollable. I still miss him when I go riding.

He also knew when I put lotion on my legs in the bathroom. He would slink up the steps and lick my legs and disappear into hiding.

My boston terrier is very smart, as most bostons are. She and I talk, well not verbally... But I know when she does certain things that it means she wants different things. Like she gets on the sofa and hutches her back and stares at me, meaning she wants me to wrap her up in her blanket. Or she stands by the drawer that her leash is kept, meaning she wants her walk. If I say bath, she runs to the guest bathroom that I wash her in, and many more. I know I'm in love with my dog.

my little yorkie is super smart. she knows that the first bell of the alarm clock is "fake" cux i will just woke up, reset the time and go back to sleep for another 1hr (lol). so, she wouldnt bother to wake up at the first bell. but as soon as the second one, she jump up and down and excited for a walk.
just love her so much

we think my dog knows how to spell. because we spell stuff that we THINK he isn't gonna understand but he does. Like my mom will be like you should give JD a T-R-E-A-T he goes CRAZY!!!

Ahhh, my brother's dog does that too. So now we say "Is it time for her to get her you-know-what?" But she'll catch on to that eventually too.

They also know when they're about to get they're nails clipped. Willie knows when I carry him into the kitchen and my dad's sitting there wearing his leather jacket and suede gloves (I call them falconer's gloves) and holding a pair of clippers. He sees that and starts struggling.

Once we've calmed him down, he's very good.

I still don't think Louis figures it out until we've actually started clipping his nails. (Which is odd, because we've recently started putting a towel on him before we start. He has been known to really struggle . . . .though, he's calmed down. He can't move, because he's wrapped up in the towel, but he does voice his annoyance and frustration.)

My dog runs to the front door when he hears a doorbell ring on television. That wouldn't be unusual, except he has never lived in a home where there was a doorbell. How does he understand that sound means there is someone at the door if he's never experienced it?:confused1:

Mine does the same thing and we are completely puzzled too!