Does it bother you?

No it doesn't bother me, I usually buy abused handbags, fix them and restore them to their newer condition and usually sell them for sometimes 4x as much as i paid. This is how i make a living. I'm a full time student and single mommy, so it helps pay for the things I need and I like making things pretty again.

That comment implies that the new seller is doing something dishonest, which she is not. If you wanted the bag that much, you could have outbid her in the first place. Complaining about feeling ripped off is crying over spilled milk, in my opinion. Either you want it, or you don't, but I definitely do not think it's fair to make it seem like that seller is "breaking the rules" or doing something dishonest or illegal just because you didn't get it for the same deal she did.
Some sellers actually do this for a living, you know?

I think you're taking my words a little out of context. I was not implying the seller is 'dishonest', perhaps unethical business practice but it's her business what she does and it was in my perspective as a interested buyer. If you have read the my post properly and not jump to conclusion i did say i 'researched' her ebay history so therefore i wasn't aware of the existence of the bag in the first place.

I'm not 'complaining', again i reiterate and would also like to clarify from a buyer's point of view, i don't think i wanted to know that i'm paying double for something that second person bought so they can make a profit. Of cos, the seller is entitled to do whatever she/he wants because it is now her possession.

blu^tulip, I apologize for my earlier post sounding harsh---I didn't realize it at the time and I am definitely not trying to fight. I'm just sensitive to this issue at the moment for various reasons.

I am still unclear, though, how this is in any way unethical?? eBay is a free market, and I just don't understand how it's unethical for someone to get a good deal on something and then sell it for more.
That's the definition of capitalism, and the point of being in business.

:confused1:

From the seller's point of view, it's annoying if the price is much higher. If the price is close to what you got, then it just didn't work out for them, and perhaps you should be grateful they didn't complain and try to return it.

From the buyer's pov - be sure to check if they bought it on ebay recently. If they did, and if the relisting price is close to what they paid for it recently, then I ask myself what is wrong with this item? If the listing price is much higher than what they paid for it, I chose not to do business with them.

That comment implies that the new seller is doing something dishonest, which she is not. If you wanted the bag that much, you could have outbid her in the first place. Complaining about feeling ripped off is crying over spilled milk, in my opinion. Either you want it, or you don't, but I definitely do not think it's fair to make it seem like that seller is "breaking the rules" or doing something dishonest or illegal just because you didn't get it for the same deal she did.
Some sellers actually do this for a living, you know?

I totally agree. When you purchase from a store the merchandise is all marked up 600 to 800 percent, for large retailers, from what they paid for it from the manufacturer. For furniture it is slightly less like 400 to 500 percent. We don’t have any trouble buying from the store and wouldn’t give it a second thought. When Neiman Marcus just had the 4 day sale, where I bought an Edith Bowler for 465.00 down from 1660, I know they didn’t sell the bag for charity; they still made some profit from the bag…probably still more than 100.00.

I think you're taking my words a little out of context. I was not implying the seller is 'dishonest', perhaps unethical business practice but it's her business what she does and it was in my perspective as a interested buyer. If you have read the my post properly and not jump to conclusion i did say i 'researched' her ebay history so therefore i wasn't aware of the existence of the bag in the first place.

I'm not 'complaining', again i reiterate and would also like to clarify from a buyer's point of view, i don't think i wanted to know that i'm paying double for something that second person bought so they can make a profit. Of cos, the seller is entitled to do whatever she/he wants because it is now her possession.

I am not trying to offend anyone as I guess we are all just expressing and discussing our opinions. I don’t understand this point of view. What is the “unethical business practice?” We are all wearing clothes that we purchased in a store, department or other, and we are in the high end purse forum so I believe we all own high end bags.

When someone sells something on EBay it is up to them to price that item for what they feel the true value is. This can be different for each person depending on how much effort they want to put into selling. If they are using buying and selling on EBay as their way to make money they can set any price they want as long as the market will bear it. Conversely, the buyer gets to decide how much the item is worth to them whether that is what the market will bear or not. If a person wants something bad enough they will pay more than the market rate to get it. You say “…I don't think i wanted to know that i'm paying double for something that second person bought so they can make a profit.” This is what the stores do and I assume you don’t have a problem buying from them. Is this an issue specific to buying on EBay? I am truly trying to get clarity on your position.

From the seller's point of view, it's annoying if the price is much higher. If the price is close to what you got, then it just didn't work out for them, and perhaps you should be grateful they didn't complain and try to return it.

From the buyer's pov - be sure to check if they bought it on ebay recently. If they did, and if the relisting price is close to what they paid for it recently, then I ask myself what is wrong with this item? If the listing price is much higher than what they paid for it, I chose not to do business with them.

I’m just trying to understand the issues involved. What is it about the price being much higher that is annoying? Do you feel ripped off that they didn’t pay you more for it?
Would you think it was better etiquette to send it back if it “… just didn't work out for them”?

From the buyer’s perspective, I would think that asking why an item recently bought on EBay is being resold is a prudent action no matter what the selling price is. What I am unclear about is if the selling price is within the market price for the item what does it matter what they paid for it?

For example, I want another Large Silverado open Satchel. NWT on EBay this bag should go for 900.00 to 1100.00 +. If the seller snapped one up for 700.00 from someone who didn’t know the value of the bag, and the bag is authentic, I wouldn’t have any trouble paying the new seller say 1000.00 for the bag, which is my personal limit of what I would spend. I really want that bag!!! Do you feel the seller was supposed to tell the person they bought it from that they were listing it at too low a price?

Right now I am selling a high end bag on EBay that I purchased 2 weeks ago from another seller. There is nothing wrong with the bag and it is authentic. The bag just doesn’t suit me and I think it is unethical to make that the seller’s problem. I listed it for 100.00 more than I paid for it because that is what bags like it are going for. In addition, I have to spend my time photographing, listing, and servicing the item. I’m looking to get the most the market allows for the item. That is just good business… :smile:

I'm annoyed in a interested buyer's point of view because i actually want the bag to use and not to resell to make a profit.

For example, I'm currently watching a bag this seller purchased from another ebayer about 2 weeks ago. The current seller has relisted the bag twice with a reserve and a BIN for double the amount of the original purchase price.

Funny enough she listed the previous ebayer's ID and she didn't use another account to purchase the bag which i was able (probably others too) were able to track down her history. Obviously people who did their research would've known the original price, compared it to the current listing and probably feel ripped off.

How could you feel ripped off if you aren't buying or bidding? I actually have done that myself. I purchased something and told people to look at the original auction as the purse, when I got it, just wasn't the style I had thought it was. It was not my fault that the seller didn't generate the bids that the purse "should" have sold for. If someone wants something, they just want it period. I bought a LV Beverly and stupid me decided to sell it thinking it was just toooo big. Then after I sold it I needed that purse for something and had to buy it for more than what I had ever sold it for. Ebay is built on this type of thing. The buyer's determine the selling price for many things and if you list w/ no reserve or no BIN, then you just sell it for what you sell it for and the buyer can do whatever they choose to with the item.

Kattwoman42 said a lot of what I was trying to say.

I think part of the problem here is that it's hard for buyers and sellers to communicate effectively about this issue--even if the buyer in this case DOES also sell.

I personally do not sell "casually", or out of my own closet, or for "fun", though that is actually how I got into selling in the first place. I graduated past that and into a legitimate, incorporated business that actually pays taxes and is doing this to actually turn a profit. Amazing concept!

So, no, I have no problem whatsoever paying $500 on eBay for something and then listing it for $700. It's just plain good business, and if the person who sees my listing wants it and can afford the $700, then we're both happy. Especially if another seller is selling basically the same exact thing for $1400--no one complains about THAT seller, mainly because maybe she might cover her tracks (ie: be more sneaky). Believe me, I'm learning from her.

Another point: on high end bags, don't forget that eBay & PP fees can really, really be a lot of money. It's not unusual for my fees on certain very high end items to be well over $500 PER ITEM when all is said and done. That's not a typo, either.

Last note and then I'll shut up: There are times when I'll see an authentic bag for sale by someone with very few feedback, and it turns out that she is just selling some of her own things. She might have crappy, blurry pics, and a bunch of other "red flags" for very high end buyers. But because I take the time to cultivate a relationship with her, and I assume ALL THE RISK buying from an "unproven" seller, I think I more than earn whatever profit I can get off reselling the bag with professional, well lit photos, backed by my excellent feedback rating and deep knowledge of the brand. If people get mad at me for that, I can't help it, but there's a reason I was able to buy the bag for a fraction of its true resale value: because I had the guts to do the deal when "smart" buyers wouldn't have touched it with a ten foot pole. I trust my own instincts about people (AND the items!) enough to assume that risk so that the general population of buyers don't have to.

And I have to ask, Hummingbird, did you mean to say you would never buy from me, since I mark up stuff? I hope not! You're kind of my dream client. ;)

well recently i started to buy off ebay and resell a couple of bags and i have to say there are some very good deals to be had on ebay. i feel if the person doesn't list the bag at ahigh price then that is there flaut. but it is not like i am doing this to be a greedy person it is how i make a living, cause i am disabled.

No, I'm just happy if people don't do chargebacks, ask me to ship to their sister in Indonesia, or tell me their son accidentally bid on my item. Once I sell something, I never think of it again.