Does how tall you are affect your heel height preference?

Abby305

Mar 30, 2015
Hey all! Something I've definately noticed with myself is that because of how tall I am (5'11"-6'1" depending on the doctor and my posture) I tend to shy away from anything too far past 100mm, and I absolutely never wear anything in the platform 140mm+ range, even though from a technical standpoint I've never actually had a problem walking in very high heels. I get quite uncomfortable literally towering over other people, and fel very self conscious. I do like how a higher heel makes my feet look smaller, but there's just a very fine balance between my comfort zones. It also probably hurts that I live in an area where most people in general are much shorter, none of my male bosses could be taller than 5'9" or so, and I'm the tallest employee by a few inches even flatfooted, whereas in other parts of the country and in the world I'm less glaringly Amazonian.

Does anyone else feel similarly? I'm sure I can't be the only one who was told to stay in flats lest I intimidate the boys!

Hey all! Something I've definately noticed with myself is that because of how tall I am (5'11"-6'1" depending on the doctor and my posture) I tend to shy away from anything too far past 100mm, and I absolutely never wear anything in the platform 140mm+ range, even though from a technical standpoint I've never actually had a problem walking in very high heels. I get quite uncomfortable literally towering over other people, and fel very self conscious. I do like how a higher heel makes my feet look smaller, but there's just a very fine balance between my comfort zones. It also probably hurts that I live in an area where most people in general are much shorter, none of my male bosses could be taller than 5'9" or so, and I'm the tallest employee by a few inches even flatfooted, whereas in other parts of the country and in the world I'm less glaringly Amazonian.

Does anyone else feel similarly? I'm sure I can't be the only one who was told to stay in flats lest I intimidate the boys!
I short at 5ft and half an inch, I'd love to wear heels all the time! However I just can't walk in them, so when buying shoes I always make sure to check the heel height (anything past 8.5cm will probably be worn only once or twice). I have little size 3-4 feet and I don't think that helps.

If you can walk in them comfortably and like the look of them then put on your highest most stylish shoes, stand up straight and intimidate the boys at work with your glorious Amazonioness!

As long as you stay away from platforms, the higher the heel gets, the less it actually contributes to your height.. :smile: Other than that I say: Enjoy the view!

I'm 5'1.5" and I tend to prefer to buy high heels but max out at 4 inches without platform. That said, I live in NYC and walk everywhere so I don't wear anything over 2 inches on an daily basis. When I lived in Florida and drove everywhere, I wore high heels to work about 3 times a week.

I completely understand how you feel. I'm 5'10" and feel very self-conscience about my height if I wear any heel over 2". It's a bummer because I love heels, I just hate towering over people, especially men. I tell myself that I should wear what I like and not worry about what other people think, but at the end of the day, it makes me uncomfortable so I usually wear flats.

I am 5'5 and can wear any size heel without feeling I'm too tall. But I am so tired of aching feet and most of my wardrobe now is flats and very small heels. I only buy shoes that I can walk in easily. Those high heels are not only bad for your feet, they are literally a pain.

I'm short (5'1), and wish I could wear heels. I am impressed by women (especially tall women) that are able to carry off walking in high heels because they look so stylish. But I wobble in high heels and have a range of feet issues that wearing heels tend to exacerbate.

You should wear what pleases you, especially if your feet are healthy enough and feel good in heels. Be proud of your height and don't worry about towering over others! :cool::cool:

i am 5'4 and i have different types of heels from flat to 2'',3'',4'' but i often wear 1'' shoesor flats in daily life, they are more comfprtable, and i have to run after or carry my 2 children

You do you! Boys may be intimidated in you in heels but real men shouldn't [emoji6]

I think tall women in heels is sexy, #legsfordays

Although I'm not tall myself (5'1), in heels im taller than my husband, he doesn't mind

5'11 here as well. I pretty much always wear 4inch heels to work, I love towering over everyone and makes me feel more confident, not less. I say wear what you love and don't worry about being too tall!

I'm 5'10" and usually wear between 3-4" on the high end. I love heels and I can't stop even with my height. I am taller than my husband without heels so unless we do something sitting, he prefers I don't wear them when we go out. I am fine with it though, as I prefer to not tower over him either.