Does anyone else here DISlike LV?

QuirkyCool said:
At the risk of being lynch-mobbed,I am amazed to see so many stylish women liking LV bags. I have never seen one I liked...never seen one that didn't make me gag. In pictures or otherwise.

I really don't get the attraction...at all...I hate the monograms,cherries,graffiti,multicoloured monograms,denim bags...etc etc etc etc...plus,with sooooo many fakes around I usually assume that any LV bag I see is a fake.

I know...I'm prejudiced and I discriminate against LV bags....I thought I should come clear on this front before continuing as a member here:wacko: .

At the risk of a double lynching :worried: and even though I definitely do agree 'each to their own', I have to admit that I've never seen an LV bag that I've liked, even though I own bags and/or wallets by 10 different high-end designers (in addition to Chloe) and like many more (that I can't afford at the moment :cry:!).

I've never been too keen on obvious monograms/logoes, but that may be, at least partly, a British thing; the general consensus over here seems to be that obvious (and particularly repeated) logoes are a little on the tacky side and perhaps even kind of boastful :P!

Although I :love: vintage styles, I don't really like LV's rather grown-up and ladylike styles much, either. I prefer more casual, rock chick, punk, Edwardian, gothic and/or bohoemian looks.

I also don't see why I should be expected to spend lots of money on a leather trimmed piece of canvas/denim, when I could have a butter-soft leather Chloe bag for the same price :biggrin:.

I'm sure LV's quality is excellent, but nothing will convince me that the screaming of wealth over substance is a good :idea:.

All the Chloes I've looked at are much more expensive than most of the LV line, at least the canvas bags you mentioned, and while they're leather, they're also trendier and will go out of style before long . Chloe wasn't always this popular, and part of the renaissance is due to their ability to put handbags in celebrity hands--which is now the goal of virtually ever handbag manufacturer.

I ordered a Paddington and returned it 24 hours later because I just didn't think it was worth $1,500, it was obvious I'd have problems with the lock and key down the road, and I was even more turned off when I found out that the company (like Kooba) kept raising the prices because their bags became popular. I was also quite shocked by the demand for the Edith, a very plain and plainly stitched bag with a seriously hefty pricetag.

LV may scream wealth, but so does Hermes, Chanel, Gucci, Chloe, Balenciaga, Leiber, Kieselstein Cord, Jimmy Choo, Versace, Valentino, Prada, Tod's...etc., and LV can look like a bargain in comparison to their lower-priced bags. I love beautiful leather, but it will show wear much faster than any of the coated canvas bags LV produces.

Can a handbag even have "substance?" LOL

chloehandbags said:
I also don't see why I should be expected to spend lots of money on a leather trimmed piece of canvas/denim, when I could have a butter-soft leather Chloe bag for the same price :biggrin:.

I'm sure LV's quality is excellent, but nothing will convince me that the screaming of wealth over substance is a good :idea:.

chloehandbags said:
I'm curious if that idea of yours reflects on how you feel about the people who carry LV bags. I know there are many out there who don't like carrying anything with logos on it, but does that mean when you see someone with a logo bag, you automatically think they are just boasting their wealth?

I think it was kind of silly to start this thread in the LV sub-forum, don't you? I think that people who come to the LV section of the PF are LV lovers or at least people who are somewhat interested in LV brand. JMO.:smile:

LV_addict said:
I think it was kind of silly to start this thread in the LV sub-forum, don't you? I think that people who come to the LV section of the PF are LV lovers or at least people who are somewhat interested in LV brand. JMO.:smile:

No I don't think that it is a silly thread in a silly place at all,and if you read it you would see that it has actually been a very constructive and civilised discussion. 80 people participated,and thanks to them.

I always have and will love LV. The quality is fantastic. The prices for many bags are less than $1k. My grandma has a 32 year old LV bag that looks great! This proves the bags last for years if you take care of them. I am also not surprised that "stylish" women carry LV because it has been stylish for the past 120 years. Sure, there are a lot of mono fakes but educated people as myself (thanks PF!) can spot a fake a mile away. So I proudly carry mine. Of course everyone isn't going to love LV! That's just fine...more for me to buy LOL.

I didn't like LV too in the past, I thought it's a very very expensive brand with no design.... until I received my very first LV bag - the suhali L'Amiable. That bag took my breathe away.

Like all other brands (irregardless whether the brand is famous or not), there will be some styles which we think are awful. Again, styles which we think are yucks may be yummy to others, and vice versa.

I must say that quality of LV bags is really vert good.

dia said:
I've recently bought a papillion damier ....hmmm so you're saying that the quality is poor and that it'll peel off?:sad:

I have a Damier Marais bucket bag (which I don't even carry anymore) and those seem to hold up well. It's the cosmetic bag that I'm disappointed in...the interior is a red rubbery material that after 6+ years has started to peel. :amazed: And the only things I keep in the cosmetics bag is debtal floss, nail clippers, Blistex...no perfume or actual makeup. And don't get me started on the mini-monogram line...that one is absolute crap! I have a $700 purse that I don't carry because it has dirt on it that can't be cleaned. The NYC SAs said if I try to clean it, I run the risk of removing some of the monograms in the process. :amazed: Never again will LV get my money...:noworry:

I love LV because it lasts forever. While there are some cases of things that can't be fixed or cleaned, the majority of cases are like mine. My mom got her first bag (Speedy 30) in the 80s and it's still gorgeous and the patina is really nice. She carried that same bag for about 7 years until she got a new one (Trocadero in 1996/7) and now I use her old Speedy when I want to. That's the thing we've come across with LV..you don't have to buy a new bag unless you WANT to, not because your old one is falling apart and you need something else. Heck, my mom still uses her old checkbook cover from about 1989 and it's still in as good of condition as it was when she first got it!

QuirkyCool said:
At the risk of being lynch-mobbed,I am amazed to see so many stylish women liking LV bags. I have never seen one I liked...never seen one that didn't make me gag. In pictures or otherwise.

I really don't get the attraction...at all...I hate the monograms,cherries,graffiti,multicoloured monograms,denim bags...etc etc etc etc...plus,with sooooo many fakes around I usually assume that any LV bag I see is a fake.

I know...I'm prejudiced and I discriminate against LV bags....I thought I should come clear on this front before continuing as a member here:wacko: .

well that's why this is called a PURSE forum and you are welcome to browse around in the other sub-forums. if you absolutely abhor LV, then why bother trolling in this sub-forum? duh.

'nuff said.

femina said:
So quirkycool, do you still dislike LV? Or is there a change of mind?

I'm afraid no change of mind,though I have seen some great LV bags that do not feature any monograms or ostentatious logos,in members' collections.

I won't be becoming a fan anytime soon,but I understand better why some people are fans.:idea:

So thanks to everyone!!:amuse:

I've never been able to get into the brand and I don't like the brown/beige color scheme. Never seen one I liked, including Epis and other non-monogrammed styles. I did see some denim heels I liked once but they didn't come in 42 and the 41 I tried ran very small.