does anyone else feel this way?

Really sorry :sad:.

I think we've all friends like that - or should I say many ex-friends. Although, in my case sister :lecture:

Certainly an ex friend now... Totally awful, she did contact me on FB... I lost it a bit, especially since she first claimed the stains were already there... as for minor stains.... Not really, the size of pound coins all over a light tan glossy Temperley jacket... What a ..... Sorry for the rant!

Screen Shot 2020-10-24 at 21.28.52.png

Screen Shot 2020-10-24 at 21.29.13.png

Certainly an ex friend now... Totally awful, she did contact me on FB... I lost it a bit, especially since she first claimed the stains were already there... as for minor stains.... Not really, the size of pound coins all over a light tan glossy Temperley jacket... What a ..... Sorry for the rant!

View attachment 4887853

View attachment 4887859

O.M.G. !

That's a 'nice' thank you for letting me wear your beautiful, expensive Temperley jacket. So sorry.

If it makes you feel better, my sister threw-up red wine (and a whole lot more) over my mother's beige/gold/silver Chanel Fantasy tweed jacket she 'borrowed' (without asking). My sister also 'borrowed' my Missoni mohair that she back gave matted, tore a New York Industry shirt and ripped a D&G (too small for her). Thank goodness she could never get into my shoes (too small).

O.M.G. !

That's a 'nice' thank you for letting me wear your beautiful, expensive Temperley jacket. So sorry.

If it makes you feel better, my sister threw-up red wine (and a whole lot more) over my mother's beige/gold/silver Chanel Fantasy tweed jacket she 'borrowed' (without asking). My sister also 'borrowed' my Missoni mohair that she back gave matted, tore a New York Industry shirt and ripped a D&G (too small for her). Thank goodness she could never get into my shoes (too small).

I think I am better off without her, I really wouldn't have made her pay for repairs or a new one, I know her income isn't fantastic, she is having a really bad time as she is in the middle of a divorce, but I did loan her the deposit for her flat and the first 3 months rent (which was several months ago and not poked her for repayment yet as I figured she needed to find her feet first), I honestly would have been OK with just a "Really sorry, shall I try to find a leather cleaner who can sort it?" But her reaction was like she spat into my face, I went through pains when we were out for drinks or a meal, when it was her turn to pay, I always fancied the very cheap option, when it was mine, I asked her what she feels like having (which was usually not the cheap option), pretty often when she really made it clear that she wanted an item I had bought, I passed it on with a "This will look much better on you, so much more your colour than mine..."

What really gets me is, that I do not judge people on how much they can spend for luxury goods, so it feels horrible to be judged by somebody who apparently really likes luxury goods, takes them gladly, but really hates anybody who is able to pay for them through working pretty damned hard.

And talking about "minor stains" that is after working the whole day on them, both cuffs and the back... I am actually contemplating of wrapping it up, sending it to her for X-mas, because she so is not getting the Burberry cashmere scarf she kept on telling me she would be dying to have, before she has it, Harvey (the Dobie) has it as a dog blanket! I know I should not be angry, but it feels like a gigantic pigeon dropped something on me from a great height!

Attachments

• IMG_5116.jpg
    IMG_5116.jpg
    205.8 KB · Views: 51
Thank you all so much for responding. An tough we are in and emotionally and physically challenged time, it helps to know that we’re not alone in this. As for that friend? If this pandemic has taught me anything? It’s that I want to spend time with people I love and who make my world a better place-not with people who are hurtful and angry especially when you do them a favor...

View attachment 4887853

View attachment 4887859

I am speechless!! I can’t believe her nerve!! I feel angry just reading the texts!!

Thank you all so much for responding. An tough we are in and emotionally and physically challenged time, it helps to know that we’re not alone in this. As for that friend? If this pandemic has taught me anything? It’s that I want to spend time with people I love and who make my world a better place-not with people who are hurtful and angry especially when you do them a favor...

On the bright side, I am learning so much about stain removal, which might come in handy in the future, I decided I don't want to keep it as I would always think about the incident, but I can experiment with it and if I restore it sell it on quite cheaply (the leather is lush, the lining is silk, the cut is fabulous) and maybe somebody else will be really really happy

Take this time to regroup and figure out what you truly love, and donate or rehome other things. But dont be too ruthless, bc the future is not entirely covid shut down. You can also visit Sheltering with Hermes thread for cute ideas. . . Ive certainly spent a lot of time on TPF during covid. ITs a lifesaver and a stress reliever, and a way to use your bags and accessories.

My mom is more careless with stuff (uncapped pens in bags and RTW and four phones clipped to the sides of borrowed leather goods), but my one request is that she never ever try to take care of a spill, accident or stain herself or take it to a dry cleaner in Asia where she spends half the year. And, that she not fold an expensive bag into her luggage. (I’m a control freak about some things). But that red wine incident is just too much. Ugh.

Btw I think any chance of a happy ending just vanished when she said she would have put my dog down, I am not sure if she has mental issues or is just plain nasty, and how could I not see it in all those years? Btw I am not planning to ruin her life or anything, but with that comment, I am not going to forget about the loan

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-10-24 at 23.20.24.png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-24 at 23.20.24.png
    72.5 KB · Views: 126
And talking about "minor stains" that is after working the whole day on them, both cuffs and the back... I am actually contemplating of wrapping it up, sending it to her for X-mas, because she so is not getting the Burberry cashmere scarf she kept on telling me she would be dying to have, before she has it, Harvey (the Dobie) has it as a dog blanket! I know I should not be angry, but it feels like a gigantic pigeon dropped something on me from a great height!

Wait can I ask a silly question...doesn’t liquid tend to just roll off leather? Like if it had spilled couldn’t one just wipe it off right away? I’m having trouble envisioning how all these stains occured

My rule is I don’t give anything away I care about getting back...even to my closest friends. It is a skeptical look on life but can avoid situations like this I guess.

I think in situations like this the wine stain can be more than a wine stain. Like if you had no issues with a friend prior and the friend said I’m really sorry it might just be a “don’t cry over split wine situation”. Sounds like there are other $ issues with this friend before this :/

Unrelated but carpet cleaner takes out wine and blood really well from fabric (discovered after a friend spilled wine on mine!) but I’m guessing bad to use on fine leather.

I once dipped my sleeve of my favorite beige jacket in Indian food with turmeric and omg the worst yellow stain. Suggestion from a friend was to soak the fabric in milk and leave out in the sun. It didn’t immediately take the stain out but it did fade after a few washes and it is ok now. But again not sure about leather.

I think there are a much of leather care forums on TPF that can help I hope!

Good luck!

Wait can I ask a silly question...doesn’t liquid tend to just roll off leather? Like if it had spilled couldn’t one just wipe it off right away? I’m having trouble envisioning how all these stains occured

My rule is I don’t give anything away I care about getting back...even to my closest friends. It is a skeptical look on life but can avoid situations like this I guess.

I think in situations like this the wine stain can be more than a wine stain. Like if you had no issues with a friend prior and the friend said I’m really sorry it might just be a “don’t cry over split wine situation”. Sounds like there are other $ issues with this friend before this :/

Unrelated but carpet cleaner takes out wine and blood really well from fabric (discovered after a friend spilled wine on mine!) but I’m guessing bad to use on fine leather.

I once dipped my sleeve of my favorite beige jacket in Indian food with turmeric and omg the worst yellow stain. Suggestion from a friend was to soak the fabric in milk and leave out in the sun. It didn’t immediately take the stain out but it did fade after a few washes and it is ok now. But again not sure about leather.

I think there are a much of leather care forums on TPF that can help I hope!

Good luck!

The leather is super soft nappa, I wasn't there when it happened, but red wine does tend to leave stains, especially on leather and if not mopped up immediately, I have no idea how it happened. In all honesty, if she would have said "Sorry, it happened" I wouldn't have made a big deal about it, but 1st denying she spilled something on it, then being rude that I spend that much on a jacket, turning around when I simply said the cleaning up work seems to work and being insulting, and the last straw she would have put my dog down, I am done with her. Doggie might have been (OK was) destructive as a young rescue, true, but animals are supposedly not as bright as humans, and he was my responsibility as I adopted him, I didn't adopt her. Again, I never once asked her to replace the jacket or anything like that. The jacket isn't the issue, nor is worth of it, the issue is that she desperately wanted to borrow it, I let her, I would have been OK (not fine, but no big deal) if she would have said "Sorry, accident happened" - but there was no need to turn around and insult me for buying that jacket in the 1st place.

It really isn't about the damage, it's about her being rude, disrespectful and downright insulting, that jacket is a small price for seeing somebody's true colours, and in a way a blessing in disguise, I rather have one friend less than a fake friend.

Btw before there were no money issues, I didn't have an issue with helping her out, I didn't have an issue with going to places I knew she would like but would strain her finances, I simply saw it as a friendship, something I could do, I honestly do not grudge her the meals or drinks, they were freely given, might sound cliche, but friends hanging out, it doesn't matter who picks up the tab, I honestly wanted her to enjoy herself, her turning around and being nasty about price tags of items I buy and then that comment about putting my dog down, I really do not want to know her anymore.

For the record, yes, if I loan something to a person I am aware of the risk, personally if I would damage it, I would feel obliged to sort it, but I don't expect that from others, what I do expect is a "sorry" and not insults

Last edited:
I take my bags out, admire them, try different stylings, and clean them. When I stay home, I practice different makeup and hairstyles. I feel like I have no idea how to dress myself or do makeup anymore.

This is a great idea! I have been taking care of my bags, checking their condition, and cleaning them when needed. Even if you can't go out as much, you can still style your outfits and bags for the future. Be safe!

PS: Sorry for the hijack, and thank you for letting me rant, I felt like I was ready to explode, not because of the value, just the 'tude
Hugs to you Gabs. Some people just suck, and I'm sorry one of them is your now ex-friend. :sad: If she contacts you again with her nastiness, I'd say rise above and <delete>. She's not worth your time or energy...