Food Do you use chopsticks when you eat Asian food?

I'm another asian girl that doesn't always use chopsticks when I eat!!! I do use chopsticks at restaurants and whatnot, but I actually don't have a pair at home (I never thought to buy any when I moved out).... so it's either the wooden chopsticks if I get delivery, or else it's a fork/spoon =)

No, I use a fork, can't live without one. My hubby uses chopsticks though I'm the Asian and he's not :Push:
I do know how to use them just that I'm not fond of them since I tend to stick them vertically into my rice bowl which is seen as an eternal curse to some superstitious people.

^^^ I love using chopsticks and DH prefers a fork, in this case he is the asian one :biggrin:
I always stick them into the rice too and he freaks out but I always tell him since I am mexican I dont think the "course" will work on me.

Asian here too. I use chopsticks for take out sushi and ramen, but frequently a fork for take out chinese because we use plates more often than bowls at home.

If I'm at an Asian banquet or having dimsum at a restaurant, I use chopsticks the entire time.

Im chinese, so yes but personally I use chopsticks more when I cook, and fork sometimes to eat

Interesting you should say that -- I watched a video of a top chef in Germany using what looked like stainless steel chopsticks to cook with -one can do more intricate maneuvers like turning and lifting without bruising the ingredients or having to dip spoons into trays etc.

Yes, I use chopsticks to eat Asian food.

Embarrassingly enough, I use chopsticks for the dumbest things including hot cheetoes. Hey, I don't like my fingers to turn red! :whistle:

Last edited:
I LOVE Asian food, my bf and i live on it, but i dont know how to use chopstics, so sad and embarassing !

Heh I've taught people to use it and they master in seconds. Loosely clench your fist, stick out your thumb and index finger. Take one stick and hold it near the thicker end like a dart, between tips of your thumb and index finger. Near meaning approx 2/3 way from the sharper end. Get the other stick with your other hand and slip it below the first stick, and through the "O" made by your thumb and index finger. Securing it in place with the side of your middle finger and the flat of your thumb. As you pick food up, use the first stick as the controller, second stick is to secure the opposite end of the food piece.

Start with picking up big pieces and proceed to the smaller ones. When you think you're expert, try picking up peas. Your fingers will tire after a few tries, so rest and try again. The trick is to hold the chopsticks near the higher end because you'll have better control and use less effort. Too many people try holding them at the center, that'll be quite impossible to manipulate because the sticks will cross :P

Both DH and I are of Asian descent, but we eat with forks, spoons and knives. LOL!
Sushi and Dim Sum are the only times we are forced to use chopsticks since you can grab the food quicker! :sweatdrop:

I am not Asian and I love using chopsticks. My DH is Asian and he prefers a fork. It is so much easier to eat salad with chopsticks.

I should try Cheetos with chopsticks, great idea!

Not all the time. I'd be a WEIRDO to use chopsticks with Malay, Indian, Indonesian food, those ethnic races don't even use them - they use their fingers!!!!
I only use them for Japanese and some Chinese food not all Asian food.

Someone finally taught me how.

I don't think I'm good enough to pick up little things like noodles or rice, but point me towards the dumplings and I'll chopstick the hell out of them!