Do you travel with your H bag?

For those of you that have taken your Birkins, how do you travel with them and pack them?

I have a B35 that I've never traveled with; I definitely don't plan on wearing it on the plane (as I'll use my Keepall 55 as my carry-on), so wanted tips on how to get it from point A to point B without crushing in in luggage. :blush:

I have travelled with my B40 and B35s. All of them fit into a Goyard St Louis GM (though it fits tight with the B40) and that's usually how I transport them while at the airport/plane. It fits under the seat of regular Economy seats (never tried with Ryan Air). There's also an expandable Longchamp Pliage XL (?) sized tote that fits the B40.

I have also used the B40 without a "protective bag", under the Economy seats of regular airlines. Since it's slouchy and hardy I don't mind. If you have long legs I would not recommend it, takes up pretty much all of the space under the seat in front of you.

I have travelled with my B40 and B35s. All of them fit into a Goyard St Louis GM (though it fits tight with the B40) and that's usually how I transport them while at the airport/plane. It fits under the seat of regular Economy seats (never tried with Ryan Air). There's also an expandable Longchamp Pliage XL (?) sized tote that fits the B40.

I have also used the B40 without a "protective bag", under the Economy seats of regular airlines. Since it's slouchy and hardy I don't mind. If you have long legs I would not recommend it, takes up pretty much all of the space under the seat in front of you.
Ok thanks. May I ask, why you didn't use the overheard compartment? Is it for safety/convenience, or is it because the bag will get damaged up there?

I've seen a lot of posters say they put their bags under the seat (which seems to introduce more opportinuities of ruining the bag) vs. overhead, so genuinely wondering if there's a benefit in doing so that I may be missing?

Ok thanks. May I ask, why you didn't use the overheard compartment? Is it for safety/convenience, or is it because the bag will get damaged up there?

I've seen a lot of posters say they put their bags under the seat (which seems to introduce more opportinuities of ruining the bag) vs. overhead, so genuinely wondering if there's a benefit in doing so that I may be missing?
Personally, I wouldn't trust fellow passengers not to damage my bag when they shove their bags into the overhead compartment. Not everyone is particularly considerate of other people. I only ever put my cabin suitcase up in the overhead compartment, and keep my personal bag within my eyeline under the seat in front of mine.

As much as possible I avoid using the overhead bin. For something as expensive and coveted as a birkin, it’s temptation to those who are tempted. Aircraft theft is also on the rise.

I was horrified when the flight attendant asked me to put my kelly 25 in the overhead bin because we were sitting in the exit row.

Good thing my precious bag wasn’t damaged in any way 😊

Well I can tell you there were many in Paris carrying bigger bags including B35, my Lindy is 30
& I didn't feel it was too big or bulky, nor did I carry it on my shoulder, but that is personal I guess
I know you are traveling to Amsterdam & Copenhagen
I'd carry what I think would be most serviceable on my trip & not to worry about bumping
into a tourist at a museum or elsewhere as you likely won't be the first to do so, JMO
I agree in general, with a caveat: Some museums will not allow bags over a certain size, and the purse check may make you nervous.

We were in Copenhagen a few weeks ago, and the Glyptothek had such a requirement, and they only had self-service lockers. I didn’t have anything to worry about, but my bf didn’t want to leave his work laptop in the lockers. I brought out a little fabric shopping bag to hold it, and they denied that as well, so he hand carried his laptop around for a couple of hours. :annoyed:

Y'all... traveling with 3 H bags for a 26-hour flight was HELL.

A few points to consider:

1) If you expect to place your bag in a hard shell in the overhead bin, be prepared for the possibility that the gate agents may make you check your bag anyway due to the compartments being already full. So, fly business or first, or get in line very early to avoid this. Or, prep your bag as if it might undergo the violent tumults down in cargo.

2) If you must use the overhead bin, be prepared that passengers may move your bag around and it won't be in the same position as it started. If you're smart and use a dustbag to protect and conceal your bag, then the other passengers have even less of a clue that they need to care about your stuff. Overhead bins otherwise aren't terrible IMO. My bags were fine, esp compared to the annoyance of keeping a bag below the seat in front of you.

3) Even if you put your H bag in another tote and put it on the floor below the seat in front of you, eating will be hard and you'll be paranoid about food dropping on it.

4) It's really hard to pack snacks, hand sanitizer, or anything else that could leak on or stain your bag. Especially for long-haul flights.

5) If you put your bag into a tote, be mindful of anything within or in/around the tote that could scratch your bag. There may be a fair bit of friction between the tote and your H bag as you move it around, drag the tote to get things from your bag, run to your next terminal to catch your next leg, etc.

6) Make sure the tote in which you put your bag is waterproof--even if you don't spill anything, the passenger next to you might, or the flight attendant could.

7) When placing your H bag into a dustbag, it helps knowing on which side your turnlock sits. Bags going through customs or security can have rather precipitous drops that do not do them any favors. Same with turbulence if they're in the overhead bin.

8) Packing H bags in a suitcase means one is relegated to that bag ONLY having clothes. Anything hard, sharp, damp, or heavy brings about way too much concern for damage.

9) If you have a very tight connection in a crowded airport like LHR, there's a good chance your bags aren't gonna arrive until the next day or even later, depending on crowds and flight schedules. Airtags do genuinely help and I was surprised that BA actually put their own zip ties on our bags (which did arrive late but whole, in one piece, with everything in it... including rather expensive electronics).

10) Try not to sit next to kids or have your own kids sitting next to you with an H bag underneath, particularly for long-haul flights. It's... stressful.

11) Check customs, esp if you have multiple H bags on you. Some have limitations on personal use, and one is either stuck with declaring and paying heavy "import duties" or holding bated breath that the officer is too busy looking for gold and electronics to care about your vintage bags. I was really surprised that even though our bags were stuck in another airport without us, customs STILL grilled us about the total value of what we were bringing in.

I know theft seems to be the most obvious concern, but I completely underestimated the endless possibilities for damage. I'd say traveling with a luxury handbag is easiest for flights with just one leg under 5 hours, and all the better if one is in business or first.

Y'all... traveling with 3 H bags for a 26-hour flight was HELL.

A few points to consider:

1) If you expect to place your bag in a hard shell in the overhead bin, be prepared for the possibility that the gate agents may make you check your bag anyway due to the compartments being already full. So, fly business or first, or get in line very early to avoid this. Or, prep your bag as if it might undergo the violent tumults down in cargo.

2) If you must use the overhead bin, be prepared that passengers may move your bag around and it won't be in the same position as it started. If you're smart and use a dustbag to protect and conceal your bag, then the other passengers have even less of a clue that they need to care about your stuff. Overhead bins otherwise aren't terrible IMO. My bags were fine, esp compared to the annoyance of keeping a bag below the seat in front of you.

3) Even if you put your H bag in another tote and put it on the floor below the seat in front of you, eating will be hard and you'll be paranoid about food dropping on it.

4) It's really hard to pack snacks, hand sanitizer, or anything else that could leak on or stain your bag. Especially for long-haul flights.

5) If you put your bag into a tote, be mindful of anything within or in/around the tote that could scratch your bag. There may be a fair bit of friction between the tote and your H bag as you move it around, drag the tote to get things from your bag, run to your next terminal to catch your next leg, etc.

6) Make sure the tote in which you put your bag is waterproof--even if you don't spill anything, the passenger next to you might, or the flight attendant could.

7) When placing your H bag into a dustbag, it helps knowing on which side your turnlock sits. Bags going through customs or security can have rather precipitous drops that do not do them any favors. Same with turbulence if they're in the overhead bin.

8) Packing H bags in a suitcase means one is relegated to that bag ONLY having clothes. Anything hard, sharp, damp, or heavy brings about way too much concern for damage.

9) If you have a very tight connection in a crowded airport like LHR, there's a good chance your bags aren't gonna arrive until the next day or even later, depending on crowds and flight schedules. Airtags do genuinely help and I was surprised that BA actually put their own zip ties on our bags (which did arrive late but whole, in one piece, with everything in it... including rather expensive electronics).

10) Try not to sit next to kids or have your own kids sitting next to you with an H bag underneath, particularly for long-haul flights. It's... stressful.

11) Check customs, esp if you have multiple H bags on you. Some have limitations on personal use, and one is either stuck with declaring and paying heavy "import duties" or holding bated breath that the officer is too busy looking for gold and electronics to care about your vintage bags. I was really surprised that even though our bags were stuck in another airport without us, customs STILL grilled us about the total value of what we were bringing in.

I know theft seems to be the most obvious concern, but I completely underestimated the endless possibilities for damage. I'd say traveling with a luxury handbag is easiest for flights with just one leg under 5 hours, and all the better if one is in business or first.
Although I think it is important to be somewhat careful, the birkin was meant to be used as a travel bag. I fill mine with water bottles, snacks, and put it under the seat in front of me. If you have to go through all of this, I would just leave the bag at home.

I think if one is going to be terrified of a scratch or a mark on one's bag, it's best to keep that bag at home. Not worth the stress. Perhaps travel with a workhorse/beater bag like a well-used Barenia that can only be improved by use.

I have found that when a flight attendant asks one to put a bag in the overhead, usually you can show them it's a Birkin or Kelly, and they "get" it. You can ask them to put it in the closet up front, or to ensure that it's the last item placed in the overhead. You are not the first passenger with this issue :smile:

To me, the best place for a valued bag is sitting next to me or in a seat cabinet, and the second best place is at my feet, where I can see it and no one else can touch it. However, I did have a situation once where there was a massive leak in the airplane galley and the floor flooded, soaking my Evelyne that was on said floor (yes this was in first class). Fortunately it was a black Clemence bag, and it survived.

I will not check in anything of value in luggage, ever, EVER (I learned this the hard way).....unless it's a sporting trip where I have huge boots, crampons, tents, skis, avalanche beacons, etc. that cannot possibly be carry-on, in which case I will have taken out a zillion dollars of travel insurance :smile: This does not apply to H bags LOL, although you certainly can insure them.

Of course, the absolute preferred method of keeping one's bags safe is to avoid commercial air travel 😇 :giggle:

I agree in general, with a caveat: Some museums will not allow bags over a certain size, and the purse check may make you nervous.

We were in Copenhagen a few weeks ago, and the Glyptothek had such a requirement, and they only had self-service lockers. I didn’t have anything to worry about, but my bf didn’t want to leave his work laptop in the lockers. I brought out a little fabric shopping bag to hold it, and they denied that as well, so he hand carried his laptop around for a couple of hours. :annoyed:
This is very helpful information, and not something I would have considered!

Same reason as the two posters below your question stated: I have no trust in fellow passengers that they won't squish whatever is in the overhead to fit their own bags and carryons. Regardless of whether I have a designer bag or not.

Plus in my case I'm short and reaching anything in the overhead is annoying, especially if pushed to the back. So I keep everything I need during a flight below the seat in front of me and will never sit in the exit row for that reason as well.

I only put my hard case Rimowa carryons in the overhead compartment. Won't need the contents until I'm at my destination.

Personally, I wouldn't trust fellow passengers not to damage my bag when they shove their bags into the overhead compartment. Not everyone is particularly considerate of other people. I only ever put my cabin suitcase up in the overhead compartment, and keep my personal bag within my eyeline under the seat in front of mine.
This.

I normally travel with at least 3 bags - evening bag - kelly pochette, and usually 2 kelly 28s (a light color and a dark color) as I like a strap when I travel. Depending on the trip and the events they are usually croc for evening and leather for day but recently I've been bringing more exotics so they get more use.

I put the pochette into one of the other bags for safety, carry one, and pack the last one in either a large carry on tote (for short trips) or I bring a small rimowa roll-on (for long hauls). I pack them with their stuffing and with the outside pouch for extra protection and even bring the extra outside pouch for my carry on just in case.

The most bags I've traveled with was a recent trip where I brought 5 bags for an event filled week: picotin micro daisy, croc kelly 25, birkin 25 touch, croc kelly pochette, and a cream ostrich birkin 30. I carried the ostrich and packed the others in the rimowa roll-on. I like the rimowa essential sleeve as I can put my laptop and ipad in there and easily access them.

I tend to travel with bags on the smaller size B25, K25 or K mini vs a Birkin 35 or Kelly 32 as I find I bump the larger ones around more and they don't often fit under the seat so it's a risk to put them in the overhead compartment - though I will say my husband is great at monitoring if other people are trying to stuff things in there which could damage my bag.

Last edited:
The most bags I've traveled with was a recent trip where I brought 5 bags for an event filled week: picotin micro daisy, croc kelly 25, birkin 25 touch, croc kelly pochette, and a cream ostrich birkin 30. I carried the ostrich and packed the others in the rimowa roll-on. I like the rimowa essential sleeve as I can put my laptop and ipad in there and easily access them.

After undergoing essential travel with "just" 3 Bs/Ks, I look at your list and I would've broken out in hives (esp if they told you--as they told me--to check in my carry-on)! How did you protect the bags within your suitcase? I couldn't quite get a good tradeoff between providing good padding to avoid friction but keeping them not bulky enough to actually fit alongside the other.

• Haha
Reactions: Mrs.Hermess
After undergoing essential travel with "just" 3 Bs/Ks, I look at your list and I would've broken out in hives (esp if they told you--as they told me--to check in my carry-on)! How did you protect the bags within your suitcase? I couldn't quite get a good tradeoff between providing good padding to avoid friction but keeping them not bulky enough to actually fit alongside the other.
I basically turn the rimowa into storage for my handbags and since my laptop and ipad are on the outside they don't squish anything. In some cases I'll have other items around the bags as padding of sorts like an extra sweater but nothing that bears weight. I stagger the bags so no bag is "rubbing" against the other, meaning the bottom of one on one side of the suitcase isn't touching the bottom of another on the other side - like fitting 2 pieces of pie together. And then there's always a weight thing - the croc is the lightest so that's on the top part of the suitcase whereas the touch or another bag mostly made of leather would go on the bottom. Plus using "smaller" bags (vs 32 or 35) makes it easier to fit. Since the B30 was the largest I opted to carry that one on with me.

Knock wood that I haven't to date had any issues with either being forced to check my bag or with them getting squished. It is a bit of figuring out the right bags - this may be the longest part of my packing process since I generally start my packing list with what bags do I want to bring and then figure out the outfit that works with it...