Do you travel with your H bag?

Well I can tell you there were many in Paris carrying bigger bags including B35, my Lindy is 30
& I didn't feel it was too big or bulky, nor did I carry it on my shoulder, but that is personal I guess
I know you are traveling to Amsterdam & Copenhagen
I'd carry what I think would be most serviceable on my trip & not to worry about bumping
into a tourist at a museum or elsewhere as you likely won't be the first to do so, JMO
All good points…thank you for the feedback!

We need a thread dedicated to packing with a carry on so you can share your advice (and photos)!

This! Yes please!

I've searched for videos on minimalist packing, but most are backpacker style, camping, staying in places like a hostel. Or if it is carry on, well not the suitcases that I use. (I hope that doesn't sound judgmental.)

I still hope to find packing tips for carry on with a Globe-Trotter Air Cabin, or a Rimowa, with a smaller personal bag. I'm debating a Victoria as the personal item, with a Chanel WOC tucked inside.

Any ideas? Thank you!

100% except I limit myself to either a tpm felt Evelyn which can be squished or a sac a depeches 21.
I prefer to travel with a roller carry on and possibly a rimowa weekender for trips ranging from 7-21 days.
Both luggage pieces are carry on, and with packing cubes, I can fit quite a bit.

ETA : I really dislike traveling with a delicate, heavy, or bulky bag.
I've not seen the tpm felt Evelyn but what a great idea! Easier to squish into place.

I had to go look at the Rimowa Weekender. I am intrigued with this style. It looks like it holds a great deal too. I will check if my local Rimowa has it in stock, I'd like to see it in person. The website doesn't show interior photos.

Me too, a carry on size suitcase and a small purse. I've done this without the spare "personal item" bag but I am looking for a good one to have on the ready just in case.

Reactions: DME and hclubfan
If you don’t want to take your H dust bag, someone somewhere upthread here (I think!) recommended UNIQLO reusable totes. They’re inexpensive, but really nice; I picked up one in each size after I read that recommendation (U.S. $2.90 each). They don’t zip closed, or have a drawstring closure, but they will protect your bag. They come with a matching fabric ring, for lack of a better description, so you can roll and store them easily when not in use.

I sometimes travel with my H; it depends on the destination. When I travel with my B30, I pack smaller items inside it first (crossbody, clutch, pouches with tech cords/meds/other odds and ends). Those items go in dust bags of their own, or I use soft pouches, so they don’t scratch the inside of my B. The B goes in a dust bag and that goes inside my LV Neverfull GM. There’s still room for larger items that won’t fit in my B, such as magazines and my iPad, as well as items that need to be easily reachable, such as wallet/passport and phone.

OT: I’m super impressed with those of you who can manage carry on luggage only for 14, or more, days. We need a thread dedicated to packing with a carry on so you can share your advice (and photos)! I can manage for some trips, but week-long, colder destinations require heavier clothing, which takes up more room, and cruises require two sets of clothes per day (casual/swim for day, something nicer for night), which means having to pack lots of stuff.
My answer is layers and more layers. To be sure, my trips don't generally involve (ok, never!) special events (ball gowns, heels, mini mini bags). My range of activities is reasonably narrow, mostly walking around and dining, and layers, spiffy flats, and a mid-sized bag get the job done. My goal is to be presentable in most situations; my fashion statements are generally made at home because the trade off of never checking a bag is worth it.

If you don’t want to take your H dust bag, someone somewhere upthread here (I think!) recommended UNIQLO reusable totes. They’re inexpensive, but really nice; I picked up one in each size after I read that recommendation (U.S. $2.90 each). They don’t zip closed, or have a drawstring closure, but they will protect your bag. They come with a matching fabric ring, for lack of a better description, so you can roll and store them easily when not in use.

I sometimes travel with my H; it depends on the destination. When I travel with my B30, I pack smaller items inside it first (crossbody, clutch, pouches with tech cords/meds/other odds and ends). Those items go in dust bags of their own, or I use soft pouches, so they don’t scratch the inside of my B. The B goes in a dust bag and that goes inside my LV Neverfull GM. There’s still room for larger items that won’t fit in my B, such as magazines and my iPad, as well as items that need to be easily reachable, such as wallet/passport and phone.

OT: I’m super impressed with those of you who can manage carry on luggage only for 14, or more, days. We need a thread dedicated to packing with a carry on so you can share your advice (and photos)! I can manage for some trips, but week-long, colder destinations require heavier clothing, which takes up more room, and cruises require two sets of clothes per day (casual/swim for day, something nicer for night), which means having to pack lots of stuff.
If I were spending a lot of time in a cold destination, or carrying lots of sports equipment, I would struggle to limit myself to carry on. But I have done carry-on only for a trip for which the climate ranged from hot and sticky in Bangkok to cold and misty in Bhutan. Even though I'm not a cruise person, I do generally plan two outfits a day on vacation because I like to change when going out for dinner. Agree with @textilegirl that layers are the answer.

To stay on topic, that's why the Kelly Cut is ideal as an evening bag for my travels. It's a layer in the bag! Like @880 I use packing cubes which help with compression and organisation. I like to look like me when I travel - I hate taking clothes I wouldn't enjoy wearing at home. It's possible to generate days and days worth of varied outfits from a small capsule of clothes and accessories if they are well chosen. The area where I find I need to be very disciplined is shoes. I wear, say, a pair of H sneakers on travel days, then pack a lightweight strappy kitten heel Manolo sandal for evening that goes with everything and takes up no space in the bag, plus I allow myself one more day shoe which is generally a ballet flat or a loafer. If it's a beach holiday I skip the Manolos and closed flat shoes and pack a simple flat sandal and my rubber Valentino Rockstud flat sandals for the beach or poolside, and I take my magnolia Cinhetic clutch instead of the K Cut. I'm long past telling myself I need to pack workout shoes and kit on holiday. I know I'll hardly use them and I can't justify the space they take up in my luggage! So I award myself a break from my usual fitness routine and expend calories in other ways (such as walking around H stores in Paris :happydance:)

This! Yes please!

I've searched for videos on minimalist packing, but most are backpacker style, camping, staying in places like a hostel. Or if it is carry on, well not the suitcases that I use. (I hope that doesn't sound judgmental.)

I still hope to find packing tips for carry on with a Globe-Trotter Air Cabin, or a Rimowa, with a smaller personal bag. I'm debating a Victoria as the personal item, with a Chanel WOC tucked inside.

Any ideas? Thank you!
A Victoria is a fantastic choice for a personal item IMO. The twill lining means it is very light and it fits the sorts of things you might want to have handy on a long-haul flight (eg shawl, an iPad and earphones/earbuds). Plus it looks like a proper handbag at your destination and it's perfect for carrying a cardigan or similar during the day. The zip closure gives security without the hassle of accessing eg a Kelly closure.

I've not seen the tpm felt Evelyn but what a great idea! Easier to squish into place.

I had to go look at the Rimowa Weekender. I am intrigued with this style. It looks like it holds a great deal too. I will check if my local Rimowa has it in stock, I'd like to see it in person. The website doesn't show interior photos.

Me too, a carry on size suitcase and a small purse. I've done this without the spare "personal item" bag but I am looking for a good one to have on the ready just in case.
So often bags that are marketed as a "personal item" (ie luggage rather than a large handbag) are made with cheap materials or don't tick my boxes on the fundamentals (ie thoughtful internal pockets plus a luggage sleeve so the bag doesn't fall off the spinner). Rimowa has several options for the personal item. I have also used a bag by Away which is quite good and is well-proportioned to sit on top of a cabin spinner. I have an H bag that probably satisfies the dimensions but it is way too heavy to be a serious contender.

I recently went to NYC and packed my kelly 28 (stuffed with my small lady dior) in my beat up lululemon backpack and had no issues except my kelly didn’t close.

I felt comfortable enough taking the subway from JFK to my hotel in soho (an uber was going to take 2+ hours!!!!) and was mindful not to squish it.

I sometimes feel guilty for not babying them but eh.. they’re doin’ fine 😂. It’s just so convenient to pack them in a backpack because it’s not heavy and easy for me to keep track of especially if I wear it so it’s on my chest. It’s also comes in handy when there aren’t any hooks in the airport bathroom!!!

Attachments

• IMG_1833.jpeg
    IMG_1833.jpeg
    98.3 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_1836.jpeg
    IMG_1836.jpeg
    154 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_1834.jpeg
    IMG_1834.jpeg
    161.7 KB · Views: 61
I use this as just the "outer layer" to just disguise anything I'm bringing. My friends think it's hilarious that I unzip it and all these bags come out!

I think a dust bag in the St. Louis would be just fine.
This Tumi tote is the one in this pic:
IMG_0714.jpeg

So often bags that are marketed as a "personal item" (ie luggage rather than a large handbag) are made with cheap materials or don't tick my boxes on the fundamentals (ie thoughtful internal pockets plus a luggage sleeve so the bag doesn't fall off the spinner). Rimowa has several options for the personal item. I have also used a bag by Away which is quite good and is well-proportioned to sit on top of a cabin spinner. I have an H bag that probably satisfies the dimensions but it is way too heavy to be a serious contender.

I knew we both used rimowa, but I’m an AWAY fan (packing cubes) too! :smile:

A recommendation for a felt H bag for travel:
An H TPM in felt (feutre) can be squished flat and packed in a cube. The strap can be unclipped and rolled.
And bc felt is so sturdy, it springs back into shape. In crowds, felt is very under the radar. And, I dress it up or down.
Felt also seems to go through rain and snow without any issues. I wear navy year round. Oddly, I prefer light gray felt (picotin) for colder weather.

Last edited:
Although I don’t carry my bags like this, I thought this might be useful info for people looking for tote bags to carry H bags in.

Rimowa’s new Signature nylon Sliding Tote comfortably fits a B30 or a K32. I didn’t test my Kelly Flat - ie K35 - but I think that would also fit. I also didn’t test my B35 - I do not think that would fit (the base of the B35 is likely too large).

This tote has tall dimensions and a very flexible drawstring closure which means handles are completely enclosed without squashing, bending or scratching against a zipper. Pics below.

Thanks for doing this. I was looking at this very tote in the store recently and I wasn’t sure if the B30 base would be too wide for the bag.

Reactions: Veritybelle
My answer is layers and more layers. To be sure, my trips don't generally involve (ok, never!) special events (ball gowns, heels, mini mini bags). My range of activities is reasonably narrow, mostly walking around and dining, and layers, spiffy flats, and a mid-sized bag get the job done. My goal is to be presentable in most situations; my fashion statements are generally made at home because the trade off of never checking a bag is worth it.
💯. I travel just like you. Even for lengthy trips. My dh promised to show me the world- with a carry on. 😂 layers layers layers is the only way and cute flats. Presentable enough that if we go to a nice place only I know I’m underdressed. I leave my glam at home.

I travel with 1 carry on and 1 handheld (ideally to clip to top of my carry on). I have tried all versions of various brands of bags. Domestically I may use a b35 but it’s just not ideal for me. International I like a no brand clip on backpack on top of my carry on or my LV suitcase looking bag that has a strap on back and clips to my carry on.

I love a crossbody for travel and I usually take my Jysperie or a brunello cross body Both under the radar bags.

I'm on team THIS ^

To pack carry-on for a couple weeks away AND fit a couple/three Hermès bags, it's going to look like this:

Some kind of weekender satchel that fits on my Rimowa roller. Said satchel holds in-flight necessities (depends on the flight length; SF-Changi is....a long flight!) PLUS at least two bags, let's say a B30 with a K25 tucked into it. (Somewhere in this thread I have a photo of K25 inside a Bolide 30 inside an H beach bag, all tucked in the "personal item" carryon. I could have tucked a clutch in there too :smile:) This 2-3 bags should really cover any occasion :smile:
Then in a Rimowa cabin roller with an external laptop sleeve (this avoids a BIG issue, which is the risk of the laptop denting a bag) - it's pretty easy to fit several pairs of shoes, and to roll up a mix of layers, including at least one nice dress.
Voila, no checking!