Do you think a monogram backpack looks, uhm, obnoxious?

@Antigone

99% of people on the Louis Vuitton forum love the monogram canvas so it is unlikely that anyone would find it "obnoxious" here. You have to ask yourself if you would enjoy wearing this bag. All that matters is your opinion, we can't make this decision for you.

Yes, it is an attention-grabbing design and some people prefer something a bit more subdued. Personally, I think the Monogram Canvas is a great fashion classic: it never goes out of style. Yes, some people will likely think you are a show off because you wear a Monogram bag, but that's part of the deal when you buy such a visually recognizable piece.

Sorry, I have to ask; how can a bag be either "obnoxious" or "ironic"?

I mean, if something is thought to be extremely unpleasant, then why would anyone wear it?

I can't get my head around an "ironic" bag at all? Soz.

Anyone?

Sorry, I have to ask; how can a bag be either "obnoxious" or "ironic"?

I mean, if something is thought to be extremely unpleasant, then why would anyone wear it?

I can't get my head around an "ironic" bag at all? Soz.

Anyone?

Obnoxious can also mean:

"annoying or objectionable due to being a showoff or attracting undue attention to oneself."

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/obnoxious

Ironic:

"Happening in a way contrary to what is expected, and typically causing wry amusement because of this."

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/ironic

For "ironic", what I meant was, this is a large backpack, used to haul stuff around, so typically it is made of utilitarian materials with no-nonsense design. This is in an in-your-face monogram ubiquitous logo print.

Last edited:
I think concern over the opinions of others undermines the entire premise of fashion. Regardless of the style, true fashion is a vestibule to unique ideas and forms of expression. During Fashion week, the looks that receive the most notoriety do so because they reflect something unique. In other words... Like a true fashionista, your opinion (of what appeals and feels good to you) should be the only one that matters.

I'm a very casual dresser. Jeans, shirt, sneakers - do you think this will work?

I wear a Palm Springs MM with anything from jeans/sneakers to formal work attire. And I don't care what anyone might think - I love the backpack and its functionality. To anyone who finds it obnoxious, too bad for them. I own the bag and enjoy wearing it and that's not going to change because someone feels otherwise.

I do not think of it as obnoxious, but I would not wear it for travel, even though that is likely its intended use. The larger monogram backpacks and bags draw way too much attention to the wearer, and safety would be my concern because you cannot actually see the item and monitor it if it's sitting on your back. The little Palm Springs one seems easier to handle.

I do not think of it as obnoxious, but I would not wear it for travel, even though that is likely its intended use. The larger monogram backpacks and bags draw way too much attention to the wearer, and safety would be my concern because you cannot actually see the item and monitor it if it's sitting on your back. The little Palm Springs one seems easier to handle.

I have 2 Montsouris, MM & GM. The GM has been my main travel bag (hand luggage) for over 10 years! It's virtually indestructible and holds a ton. Even packed to the gills its very comfortable thanks to the wide cotton straps.
As far as safety and attracting too much attention I have never noticed getting more attention due to the backpack and I have never felt unsafe when using it while traveling. However, that is during the travel...

I do tend to pack handbags suitable for my end destination as I agree that some bags (as well as jewellery, clothes and accessories) make me feel as if I'm attracting 'the wrong kind of attention'.

Reactions: Fierymo