Do you splurge on winter coats?

I grew up in NYC so a solid winter coat was a must. Riding the subways for high school or work sucked! And waiting for the bus [emoji51]Puffer jackets/coats were popular in the early 80’s - I had a purple one lol. In the 90’s I had three “good” heavy coats for work - thick wool always with cashmere or camel hair. One was black and the other two were camel and a true red. I also had two L.L. Bean toggle coats from high school days. Winter is brutal. Definitely get a really warm coat and layer underneath. Don’t worry about looking thin when it’s below zero [emoji23]
I have a fur coat too but I never wear it. It was a gift but it’s not my style. I do love fur - if I lived up North I’d get a different one and wear it to work every day lol

I bought the Elrose Parka in black, it is black label but it actually has no label! It is long, which I love, and very plain looking. It is not as fashionable as the Moncler I was looking at but for sure much warmer. It is also machine washable, which is unheard of for Canada Goose and similar styles.
My Canada Goose is machine washable-got mine at Barneys.

I live on the Canadian border, so warm winter gear is a must! I've been able to get good Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals on coats and boots. Believe it or not, I have a down coat from Michael Kors that is incredibly warm. The hood is huge and adjustable, which helps because I have very voluminous hair when it's not straightened, and I'd totally rebuy it. I would say that what I spend on coats is on par for what I pay for other accessories. Most of my handbags do cost more than my coats, though.

Parka.JPG

Reactions: bellebellebelle19
I’ve always wanted a Canada Goose jacket but then they got really popular and I didn’t enjoy seeing brand on the arm of everyone. Instead I went with a German brand, Wellensteyn. Not as expensive and still keeps me very warm [emoji4]

Reactions: chloe_chanel
I live in Vancouver, so our winters are probably -4 degrees celsius at most. Definitely not as cold as Toronto but I still have the Canada Goose Chilliwack bomber.

I purchased the Mackage Marla recently and went on a trip to Yellowknife to see the northern lights. I survived -30 with windchill of -41 so I do recommend this coat if someone is looking for warmth.

Screen_Shot_2018_02_02_at_11_44_37_PM.png

My brother is wearing the Mackage Edward and my mom borrowed his Canada Goose Berwick bomber.
27707799_10155538149963759_634277169_o.jpg

Having lived in Canada now for four and a half years, I have realized how important a quality coat is. For winter, I only buy goose down coats with a hood because I hate carrying (and losing) my hats. Gloves (and my kid, lol) are enough for me to remember. I bought a Coach goose down coat with a fur/sherpa hood at the end of two seasons ago at half price and I love it. Earlier this season I bought a Michael Kors and a Cole Haan coat, both goose down and both have hoods. But I don't like how both hoods are not heavy with fur or sherpa so with the wind, they can fly off my head or not really keep my head warm. So when I find alternatives, both of those will be replaced, but beige/tan is a hard colour to find in goose down coats.

Reactions: bellebellebelle19
Hi! I am looking for some advice!

I am searching for a warm winter parka as I have had my dark blue Boomerang Alexandra jacket for eight years as my only VERY warm jacket (I have a lighter down jacket too), and I an really tired of it att this point, and I want something a bit "dressier" yet warm, as I live in Scandinavia and want to be able to take long walks in the cold with it without freezing to death. :smile:

I found this brown Woolrich Luxury arctic parka on sale online, and I think that the fit would look good on me, what do you think of the style? Would this be a nice, timeless and stylish buy? I usually dont wear brown other than shoes, but I think that this hue would compliment my complexion. Does this parka look ok or should I rather buy a similar in black or beige? I want it to last for many years.

Attachments

• woolrich_ws_luxury_arctic_parka_fox_american_coffee (1).jpg
    woolrich_ws_luxury_arctic_parka_fox_american_coffee (1).jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 582
  • woolrich_ws_luxury_arctic_parka_fox_american_coffee_1.jpg
    woolrich_ws_luxury_arctic_parka_fox_american_coffee_1.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 588
Last edited:
Reactions: pianolize
Hi! I am looking for some advice!

I am searching for a warm winter parka as I have had my dark blue Boomerang Alexandra jacket for eight years as my only VERY warm jacket (I have a lighter down jacket too), and I an really tired of it att this point, and I want something a bit "dressier" yet warm, as I live in Scandinavia and want to be able to take long walks in the cold with it without freezing to death. :smile:

I found this brown Woolrich Luxury arctic parka on sale online, and I think that the fit would look good on me, what do you think of the style? Would this be a nice, timeless and stylish buy? I usually dont wear brown other than shoes, but I think that this hue would compliment my complexion. Does this parka look ok or should I rather buy a similar in black or beige? I want it to last for many years.
I think it's pretty! In my personal wardrobe, brown is very easy to match. As long as that's the case for you, I'd go for it. The style is very timeless, plus Woolrich has a history of quality (I'm not up-to-date with their current reputation though).

Reactions: Thenewestgirl