Do you splurge on winter coats?

Is it possible to find a good wool, cashmere, or camel hair (or another similar, high-quality, natural material) for $1000? For me, $1000 is a splurge, haha. I've been looking around online and I was shocked to see that retailers are asking $1000 for polyester/nylon blends.

Lots of options. Saks, Neiman Marcus, Bloomingdales. A lot of sales now too.

Reactions: bellebellebelle19
My favorite two winter coats are Canada Goose and Burberry. Wonderful slim fit and so versatile! I am thinking of adding a Max Mara camel coat this year!

I have many quality wool coats of different lengths and styles (love them), and a few were specifically bought to layer well over my tweed jackets when I want to wear my tweeds.

However, for really really cold days (today it's 6 degrees Fahrenheit) I can wear a t-shirt under and still be toasty warm for all areas covered by this coat (still would take off while driving in car while at this kind of temperature because the coat is that warm!). I tried Canada goose and others as well, but found this particular Mackage coat my favorite and warmest. Price is similar/same as Canada Goose. The entire hood is lined with real fur, not just trimmed so once you put the hood on, it really blocks out wind and wraps around your entire face and neck. it's double zippered and all pockets are lined with warm fuzzy fleece (a must for me!). The material seriously block out wind (tested and true).

When I wear this coat, even at 6F today, when I was out and about a bit, I do not wear scarf - Only gloves are needed to keep me perfectly warm. Only downside - it's NOT lightweight compared to Montclair for example (but not heavy either) - but to me that's a tradeoff - yes there are lighter weight coats that do ok, but not warm to this level and personally i am willing to make to get a coat that is actually warm because on warmer days i would be wearing my medium weight down coat or other wool or various material coats anyway.

The best and most important part for me is that while I want all that, it MUST also not make me look like a Lego figure or Stay Puff from Ghostbusters :lol: - with some Canada goose and Northface jackets they are not bad but still more of a straight line sporty utilitarian look. I prefer a slightly more dressy/fitted look -which I think is hard for down puffer coats and i'm not a fan of moncler (they tend to feel too light to me and in many styles way too "glamorous" - need something that can navigate in between. I get a lot of people stop me to ask about this coat and where to buy as they liked how it looks and i don't wear this coat often because i have many and this is only worn on the really coldest days (around 20 Fahrenheit or lower; though it's rated for -35 I haven't tested it at that low yet nor look forward to it :P).

if you can't tell already... I'm a big fan because it's SO HARD to find a warm coat for someone who truly despise the cold! :lol:
A few photos:
View attachment 3918205 View attachment 3918206 View attachment 3918207

I love the look of Mackage but for some reason they never fit me properly and I've tried many many styles. I'm on the shorter side at 5'1" which may be the reason. I also find their jackets to be very heavy.

Reactions: Vanana
I love the look of Mackage but for some reason they never fit me properly and I've tried many many styles. I'm on the shorter side at 5'1" which may be the reason. I also find their jackets to be very heavy.
Yes the jacket is quite heavy compared to others but I have to say I have in the past Owned a jacket that is also heavy compared to others but extremely warm. I think it’s the material used in both that and this jacket had the ability to block strong wind and cold due to the outside fabric or treatment made to fabric or material construct (no idea what make their material more resistant but they are and I can tell the difference when feeling this fabric and my old jacket va others) and I was unable to find that from any others after I retired that old jacket until this one. I think in the end the weight comes with that and I have to say the ability to block the cold wind makes a huge difference on a really really cold day because even if the inside material is warm, if the strong wind is able to seep through on those days even a bit, that’s a no to me because you can feel it. Though yes the heavier weight makes this jacket one that I only wear on those bitter cold days or when I know I will do some walking, but not the days where I drive to shop at the mall or just back and forth to work (especially if husband not going to mall with me and I will have to carry it myself hahaa :P )

That said I love jackets and coats and have 3 closets full of different weight and material so this one can really just serve its purpose for cold days :smile:

View attachment 3917783

Here is my Burberry down jacket! It's a parka with down filling, good for windy cold days. I would like to buy a longer one though but unfortunately this Canada Goose was too long. I felt I was wearing a blanket. :sad:

View attachment 3917784
Well... It's absolutely perfect for this snowstorm we're having!!! I have no such coat :sad:

I have many quality wool coats of different lengths and styles (love them), and a few were specifically bought to layer well over my tweed jackets when I want to wear my tweeds.

However, for really really cold days (today it's 6 degrees Fahrenheit) I can wear a t-shirt under and still be toasty warm for all areas covered by this coat (still would take off while driving in car while at this kind of temperature because the coat is that warm!). I tried Canada goose and others as well, but found this particular Mackage coat my favorite and warmest. Price is similar/same as Canada Goose. The entire hood is lined with real fur, not just trimmed so once you put the hood on, it really blocks out wind and wraps around your entire face and neck. it's double zippered and all pockets are lined with warm fuzzy fleece (a must for me!). The material seriously block out wind (tested and true).

When I wear this coat, even at 6F today, when I was out and about a bit, I do not wear scarf - Only gloves are needed to keep me perfectly warm. Only downside - it's NOT lightweight compared to Montclair for example (but not heavy either) - but to me that's a tradeoff - yes there are lighter weight coats that do ok, but not warm to this level and personally i am willing to make to get a coat that is actually warm because on warmer days i would be wearing my medium weight down coat or other wool or various material coats anyway.

The best and most important part for me is that while I want all that, it MUST also not make me look like a Lego figure or Stay Puff from Ghostbusters :lol: - with some Canada goose and Northface jackets they are not bad but still more of a straight line sporty utilitarian look. I prefer a slightly more dressy/fitted look -which I think is hard for down puffer coats and i'm not a fan of moncler (they tend to feel too light to me and in many styles way too "glamorous" - need something that can navigate in between. I get a lot of people stop me to ask about this coat and where to buy as they liked how it looks and i don't wear this coat often because i have many and this is only worn on the really coldest days (around 20 Fahrenheit or lower; though it's rated for -35 I haven't tested it at that low yet nor look forward to it :P).

if you can't tell already... I'm a big fan because it's SO HARD to find a warm coat for someone who truly despise the cold! :lol:
A few photos:
View attachment 3918205 View attachment 3918206 View attachment 3918207
I love the hood on this!

Interesting question- I wouldn't exactly say I 'splurge', but in the winter it gets pretty cold! I HATE being cold, especially since I live in a place where everyone walks a ton and uses mass transit, waiting outside in frigid temps at times. Or for cabs! So, I've collected a closet full of winter coats (at some point I realized I just can't wear the same black, drab coat daily!!!), and a huge asstmt of warm furry accessories! Most are slim puffers in various colors/thicknesses/lengths, with trimmed hood or collar. I have definitely more than I 'need', but as these are regular, daily-use-for-months items, so I'm happy to rotate them for a longer shelf life. More for regular wear, not 'special' use, though I have a few of those too. I love having the options! Makes the day brighter somehow. :smile:

I also learned the sad way that if you 'splurge' on ONE actual everyday coat (much like other items), it wears down rather quickly :sad:

Last edited:
I do, as I hate the cold and am willing to pay the price to stay warm-currently wearing a black label Canada Goose, a The Arrivals shearling moto jacket, and a Rag-Bone puffer coat.

Reactions: pianolize
Well... It's absolutely perfect for this snowstorm we're having!!! I have no such coat

I also learned the sad way that if you 'splurge' on ONE actual everyday coat (much like other items), it wears down rather quickly :sad:

Thank you! Here I paired my old coat during a really cold winterday:
Fur lined boots by Marc Jacobs, down jacket by Versace.
IMG_5191.JPG

I somewhat disagree that coats wear down quickly. I have four winter jackets (two by Burberry, one by Versace and one by Moncler). It's better to rotate than use the same one everyday but two or three should be enough. Winter jackets tend to go on sale and have rather big discounts. [emoji1]

Thank you! Here I paired my old coat during a really cold winterday:
Fur lined boots by Marc Jacobs, down jacket by Versace.
View attachment 3925045

I somewhat disagree that coats wear down quickly. I have four winter jackets (two by Burberry, one by Versace and one by Moncler). It's better to rotate than use the same one everyday but two or three should be enough. Winter jackets tend to go on sale and have rather big discounts. [emoji1]
What a gorgeous outfit! I'm obsessed with your beautiful coat. I'm looking to add a unique puffer jacket - in my city, everyone plods around in basic gray and black and I'd love to spice up the winter with rich colors and beautiful cuts. Thanks for sharing!

And I totally agree about the discounts. I saw an Acne wool coat go on sale from ~$1000 to ~$300 on Saks.

A few years ago, I told my friend that I couldn’t believe she spent over $1000 for a padding coat. It was Moncler. The next year, I try one on & bought it. Since then I can’t wear any other brand padding coats. I actually realized it was worth the price. I have some cheaper ones from Dawn Levy but the zipper always get stuck in the middle and it’s really frustrating. The moncler zipper is always smooth & has this nice sound. Their coats are so light but warm and never cover my clothes with feathers when taken off. I already have 3 now. :smile:

Reactions: bellebellebelle19
Live in Toronto and DH and I both bought Canada Goose jackets this year - black label so they work with work attire. They are the warmest jacket I could find that I like style of. I want to add a moncler but everyone here says they are just not warm enough. Otherwise I wear wool coats on less cold days, or car days - such as my black cashmere Burberry with fox fur trim, but these coats do not keep me warm so needs to be >0c.

What Canada Goose style did you buy? I have resisted them for years because I find the style too utilitarian and not fashion forward enough. But given the winter we are now having I am reconsidering my decision especially since I don’t feel comfortable wearing my fur to work (it feels too ostentatious). I have heard the same criticism of Moncler - not warm enough. I am looking at the black label Canada Goose only because I can’t stand wearing labels on my shoulder. I am also looking at Moose Knuckles but I can’t stand the shiny silver logo. Any advice you can share would be greatly appreciated.

I bought the Elrose Parka in black, it is black label but it actually has no label! It is long, which I love, and very plain looking. It is not as fashionable as the Moncler I was looking at but for sure much warmer. It is also machine washable, which is unheard of for Canada Goose and similar styles.

Thank you!!!!! No label is perfect for me. I will check it out. I did see some reviews of some coats that mentioned despite the coat description mentioning no label there was one indeed.

Reactions: lynne_ross