Do you shop and try things on a lot but rarely buy anything?

elynnin

commas,
Jan 26, 2011
I spend a lot of time window shopping and even trying things on but I only buy it if I really really love it. Which is why I try to stay out of SAs' way because I know that they will not make too much money off of me. Do you think this is rude or money savvy? I always see people trying things on and buying a ton and rarely see anyone trying things on and not ringing up any. What do you do?

it just depends..that's why i try things on. sometimes ill grab 30 things and try them all on and not buy anything b/c i don't like them.. or i'll try on 30 things and buy each one.. that's the whole point of trying things on - to see what you like and what you don't.

I spend a lot of time window shopping and even trying things on but I only buy it if I really really love it. Which is why I try to stay out of SAs' way because I know that they will not make too much money off of me. Do you think this is rude or money savvy? I always see people trying things on and buying a ton and rarely see anyone trying things on and not ringing up any. What do you do?

if you are out looking for something with the intention that you

find what you are looking for, then why not buy it??

and you should only buy what you love....

You shouldn't feel pressured to buy something. It is fair to try something on and if it doesn't look right, to not buy it. What is rude, is when people go in just to try things on for fun (I used to work in retail, and high school girls would do this often), because that isn't fun for the SA to clean up.

I definitely window shop and have to think about something for a while before I purchase, especially if it's full price. I check it out online, maybe "visit" it a couple times in the store, or wait for it to go on sale before I pounce.

However, all bets are off when it comes to Nordstrom Rack, Zara, or outlet shopping. Then, I act super fast.

There are periods of time throughout the year where I visit my favorite stores often and even try some things on, but don't buy anything because nothing clicks.

Other months I find myself buying something each time I go to the mall. It just really depends on what the stores have in stock and if my disposable income at the time can cover the things I love.

You shouldn't feel pressured to buy something. It is fair to try something on and if it doesn't look right, to not buy it. What is rude, is when people go in just to try things on for fun (I used to work in retail, and high school girls would do this often), because that isn't fun for the SA to clean up.

:goodpost: I totally agree with this. People should be serious about shopping and trying things on. You SHOULD have the intention to purchase, otherwise, don't try things on at all. It's disrespectful to the SAs AND future customers who end up buying a less than perfect item. We all want to have brand new products.

And the above is true for me. I always have the intention to buy. So 80-90% of the time, if I ask to see/try something, I'll most likely buy it, unless it's really fallen short of my expectations. Usually I've also done lots of research on it beforehand too, so it's not an impulse buy either. I can't stand people buying and then returning stuff right after.

:goodpost: I totally agree with this. People should be serious about shopping and trying things on. You SHOULD have the intention to purchase, otherwise, don't try things on at all. It's disrespectful to the SAs AND future customers who end up buying a less than perfect item. We all want to have brand new products.

And the above is true for me. I always have the intention to buy. So 80-90% of the time, if I ask to see/try something, I'll most likely buy it, unless it's really fallen short of my expectations. Usually I've also done lots of research on it beforehand too, so it's not an impulse buy either. I can't stand people buying and then returning stuff right after.

While I feel the same, I don't condone trying something on for fun, but I find that things fall short of my expectations more often than they meet my expectations. I know that sounds weird, but I have short legs and a rather long torso and it makes a lot clothing items fit me strangely, so I don't buy more often than I do....

I also shop A LOT and rarely buy. Part of it is that I like something overall, but the parts I don't like are what's keeping me from buying it, and another part is that I try to buy less junk now. Trying to buy things I really love and will wear a lot, not just stuff because it's a great deal (my downfall before). I have so many unworn/unused items because they were good deals, and trying to resell on ebay, etc is a PITA. So now I shop a lot and really think long & hard before making a purchase. Much better for my wallet this way! :smile:

ETA: I don't try things on for fun, a lot of the time I try stuff on with the intention to buy at least 1 thing if it looks good, and if it doesn't, I leave them all. Sometimes I try on more than what I'm willing to purchase, since 9 out of 10 times I know that I will weed out most of the items due to fit, style on me, etc etc. i.e.: I grab 5 items to try on, but don't want to spend more than $ amount of money, which all 5 combined, would go above my budget. But I take all 5 into the dressing room with me, since I know I'll end up hating at least 1 or 2 pieces of clothing). Also, I HATE returning things. If I buy it, I'm keeping it, I just can't stand returning things unless I absolutely have to, so I'm not going to buy to think about it, then return it when I don't use it/realize I don't actually want the item. I'd rather go back and buy, to take the time at home to think about something, than to buy & return later.

i don't mind trying things on for fun (clothing only) but only because I clean up after myself. I don't like going to a service department though and trying things on for fun. a few friends have tried to encourage me to try stuff on for fun in service department (like shoes) but i am very vocal about making SA's do work for nothing. a few SAs tell me it isn't a big deal but i know they only say that thinking they can convince me to make a big (or bigger) sale.

I definitely don't try clothing or shoes on if I have no intention to buy. However, I also do not feel guilty if I try on multiple items because I love the way they look on the rack and end up purchasing none of them because they either don't fit or flatter. As others have said, that's why we try things on. So I never go in with the intention of being a difficult customer, but on a bad day I may not purchase anything. On a better day, I may purchase every item I tried, but one can never predict when that will happen.

I do try a bunch of new arrivals and make note of which styles and sizes fit, then wait for them to go on sale. If it's something I can't stop thinking about, then I just buy it.

I work in retail as well, and it's really not fun to pick up after other people. I don't mind if you try on 50 things and don't buy any of them. Just don't make a mess, or be rude about it. It's okay to try on something and not buy it because you don't like it. The whole point of trying on something is to see if it fits right.