Do you obsess about keeping your bags pristine?

I used to be completely obsessive about my bags, but I hated that I'd feel so bummed when I'd get a scratch or a mark so I've eased up. It still bothers me but I'm not as crushed. I've also figured out which bags to carry where, which helps. I am still anal about making sure that the bag is in pristine condition when I buy it (otherwise it's like buying a defective bag), but not as much about keeping it that way. While they're not meant to be abused, bags are meant to be used and enjoyed!

i try to be as careful as possible, and i dont take my best bags to places where they can get damaged. i also find it helps to have a few nice non-designer bags u can throw around

yes, I am afraid I do! and even when you are careful as can be, you will find the odd mark! My problem is, I never feel quite the same way about them after they have been marked, which is awful, as every bag gets marked ;)

I am careful when using my designer bags....its a little more stressful than using 'normal' bags....but i would not obsess over wear and tear over time...if you dont use the same bag every day they usually can last for a long time without looking worn out....thats my experience...

I think you should enjoy your bags :smile: as they are meant to be used...broken in bags can look really good..

i am careful because i want it to look nice, but i make sure i let them get some use too. things are bound to happen to a bag, but if i see someone with a sharpie out i freak out!!!

I find this thread so interesting!!

No, I do not baby my bags at all. Of course it's not like I allow my 2 or 4 year old to play with them in the mud, but I don't worry about my bags. I too owned quite a few Balenciaga (I still have a couple) and I did not find them to be delicate. Maybe b/c my bags tend to be dark colored? I think B Bags look better with age.

The only bag that may worry about is my Magenta BV. However a friend (a wonderful pfer who I have become friends with IRL!) asked me if I am careful with it, considering I have 2 young kids. I said no- I refuse to worry about a handbag. If it gets stained or a mark, then so be it. Honestly, I have enough things in my life to worry about, I won't add something else! :smile:

I find this thread so interesting!!

No, I do not baby my bags at all. Of course it's not like I allow my 2 or 4 year old to play with them in the mud, but I don't worry about my bags. I too owned quite a few Balenciaga (I still have a couple) and I did not find them to be delicate. Maybe b/c my bags tend to be dark colored? I think B Bags look better with age.

The only bag that may worry about is my Magenta BV. However a friend (a wonderful pfer who I have become friends with IRL!) asked me if I am careful with it, considering I have 2 young kids. I said no- I refuse to worry about a handbag. If it gets stained or a mark, then so be it. Honestly, I have enough things in my life to worry about, I won't add something else! :smile:
I wish I had your attitude, because it makes sense...but I haven't gotten to that point yet!

I don't think I obsess over it.. I'm as careful as I can be but I don't want it to be all about my bag.. I like to be able to enjoy it at the same time. So I don't spray anything on my purses or put any kind of protectant but at the same time, I don't just set my bad down anywhere w/out making sure it's clean first.

I don't obsess about my handbags. I use them and enjoy them. I care for them and clean them, but I don't worry if they get a bit worn looking. My attitude is use and enjoy and then buy a new one.

yes, I am afraid I do! and even when you are careful as can be, you will find the odd mark! My problem is, I never feel quite the same way about them after they have been marked, which is awful, as every bag gets marked ;)

Yes, I know exactly what you are saying!:yes:
It seems the more careful I try to be with my bags the more something always happens to it!
I agree , I wish I could just relax and enjoy my bags more instead of worrying about getting a mark on them!

Yes, I do obsess. But then again, I realize, bags are bags, which are meant to be used in a such a way that might acquire some *gasp* marks. And since I have such a strong fetish for white bags, or all things white, for that matter, I'm constantly looking for my 'next' white bag ;)

I take care of my bags by not setting them on rough or wet surfaces, but otherwise I just carry them and use them. I figure that if the bag gets totally worn it will be a good reason to buy a new one.:graucho: Oddly enough my bags seem to hold up really well in spite of being knocked about. That is why I buy designer though, so they can handle the wear gracefully. A designer bag with a few scuffs doesn't look too bad...

I used to be, but then I realized that I couldn't keep them perfect no matter how hard I tried. They're meant to be used and they stay looking nice for a long time so why obsess about them?

I don't obsess about my handbags. I use them and enjoy them. I care for them and clean them, but I don't worry if they get a bit worn looking. My attitude is use and enjoy and then buy a new one.

here here, TG! :tup: I take pride in my bags as I've spent a lot of $$ on them but I'm not going to freak out about a smudge or stain or some wear and tear. That shows they've been loved and used!

Same thing with cookbooks (OK, weird tangent perhaps)...I love to cook and used to be so particular in keeping my cookbooks pristine. You know what? Relaxing and letting them get a little marked up or get an occasional olive oil stain or two never hurt anyone.

Same with furniture. I could obsess on keeping it perfect but then relax and know that many happy meals and laughs were shared at this table...spills, stains and all!

So, I take care with my bags but don't obsess to keep them looking like new.